The Courts, the Constitution and the Federalist papers

Debra Law

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 12:42 am
The most significant step in understanding constitutional law is recognizing that the constitution did not create individual rights.

The Declaration of Independence sets forth the truth: We are born with inalienable rights. We form governments to secure our inalienable rights.

When our founding fathers drafted the Constitution, they created a government of limited powers. To protect the people from tyranny and oppression that would likely occur if too much power accumulated in one single branch of the government, the foundings fathers provided for separation of powers and checks and balances.

When our founding fathers drafted the Bill of Rights, they were not creating "constitutional rights," they were placing limits on government's power to infringe upon the rights that we already had.

Hamilton objected to a Bill of Rights:

Quote:
It has been several times truly remarked that bills of rights are, in their origin, stipulations between kings and their subjects, abridgements of prerogative in favor of privilege, reservations of rights not surrendered to the prince. Such was MAGNA CHARTA, obtained by the barons, sword in hand, from King John. Such were the subsequent confirmations of that charter by succeeding princes. Such was the Petition of Right assented to by Charles I., in the beginning of his reign. Such, also, was the Declaration of Right presented by the Lords and Commons to the Prince of Orange in 1688, and afterwards thrown into the form of an act of parliament called the Bill of Rights. It is evident, therefore, that, according to their primitive signification, they have no application to constitutions professedly founded upon the power of the people, and executed by their immediate representatives and servants. Here, in strictness, the people surrender nothing; and as they retain every thing they have no need of particular reservations. "WE, THE PEOPLE of the United States, to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." Here is a better recognition of popular rights, than volumes of those aphorisms which make the principal figure in several of our State bills of rights, and which would sound much better in a treatise of ethics than in a constitution of government.

But a minute detail of particular rights is certainly far less applicable to a Constitution like that under consideration, which is merely intended to regulate the general political interests of the nation, than to a constitution which has the regulation of every species of personal and private concerns. If, therefore, the loud clamors against the plan of the convention, on this score, are well founded, no epithets of reprobation will be too strong for the constitution of this State. But the truth is, that both of them contain all which, in relation to their objects, is reasonably to be desired.

I go further, and affirm that bills of rights, in the sense and to the extent in which they are contended for, are not only unnecessary in the proposed Constitution, but would even be dangerous. They would contain various exceptions to powers not granted; and, on this very account, would afford a colorable pretext to claim more than were granted. For why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do? Why, for instance, should it be said that the liberty of the press shall not be restrained, when no power is given by which restrictions may be imposed? I will not contend that such a provision would confer a regulating power; but it is evident that it would furnish, to men disposed to usurp, a plausible pretense for claiming that power. They might urge with a semblance of reason, that the Constitution ought not to be charged with the absurdity of providing against the abuse of an authority which was not given, and that the provision against restraining the liberty of the press afforded a clear implication, that a power to prescribe proper regulations concerning it was intended to be vested in the national government. This may serve as a specimen of the numerous handles which would be given to the doctrine of constructive powers, by the indulgence of an injudicious zeal for bills of rights.

http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa84.htm

The dangers that Hamilton warned about exist. If one person argues that he/she has a right to privacy -- to live his/her life free from governmental intrusion -- there will be other persons who challenge the existence of this right. They will say, "Show me in the constitution where it is specifically written that you have the right to privacy?" They will argue, if it's not listed or enumerated somewhere in the Constitution, it doesn't exist. And, this argument ALWAYS fails to recognize that We the People did not surrender our rights when we formed our government -- we formed our government to secure our rights.

We are born with inalienable rights -- rights that cannot be surrendered to a governing power. The constitution did not create rights; the bill of rights did not create rights. Our rights are not granted to us by the government or any of our founding documents. So, when people talk about "constitutional rights," they are talking about a fiction.

The Bill of Rights is best understood as a limitation on governmental infringements on the rights we are born with and have never surrendered to our government of limited powers. Hamilton's asked, "why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do?" I guess the answer to that is simply having a Bill of Rights made people feel a little more secure against governmental abuses than they otherwise would have felt without one . . . and the promise of a Bill of Rights therefore helped the proponents of the Constitution to secure the votes necessary for ratification.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 02:42 am
parados wrote:
The courts rule on laws and the constitution. The constitution trumps any laws. Meaning in the constitution is decided by the courts since they have the appellate Jurisdiction.

Well for starters, where in the constitution does it say that courts can void the laws of Congress by ruling them unconstitutional? England didn't have judicial review of legislation when America declared independence, and nothing in the constitution introduced it. Judicial review was established by the Supreme Court's ruling in Marbury v. Madison, on no constitutional basis whatsoever. My source for this is Jay Feinman: Law 101 -- Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System. Oxford University Press (2000). The author of the book is a liberal with no axe to grind in favor of strict construction.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:31 am
parados wrote:
Is Delay's threat to the judiciary an attempt to encroach upon or oppress them?

I think you're assuming your conclusion. Religious Americans routinely make remarks to the effect that human courts are not the highest ones, and that bad people who didn't pay for their sins in this life will have to pay for it in the afterlife. DeLay's wording was consistent with that interpretation; and while I don't like the remark, I think it's hype to call it a threat.

parados wrote:
Foxfyre thought the present rulings by the judges made them superior to the legislature. I would point out that this passage would show they they were not but were rather preventing the legislature from making themselves superior to the people by violating the constitution.

Are you referring to the Schiavo thread? I don't follow all conversations between Foxfyre and you, so I might be missing some context here

Debra_Law, quoting Alexander Hamilton's 'Federalist 84', wrote:
Quote:
[...]I go further, and affirm that bills of rights, in the sense and to the extent in which they are contended for, are not only unnecessary in the proposed Constitution, but would even be dangerous. They would contain various exceptions to powers not granted; and, on this very account, would afford a colorable pretext to claim more than were granted. For why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do? Why, for instance, should it be said that the liberty of the press shall not be restrained, when no power is given by which restrictions may be imposed? I will not contend that such a provision would confer a regulating power; but it is evident that it would furnish, to men disposed to usurp, a plausible pretense for claiming that power. [/b] [...]

The dangers that Hamilton warned about exist. If one person argues that he/she has a right to privacy -- to live his/her life free from governmental intrusion -- there will be other persons who challenge the existence of this right. They will say, "Show me in the constitution where it is specifically written that you have the right to privacy?" They will argue, if it's not listed or enumerated somewhere in the Constitution, it doesn't exist. And, this argument ALWAYS fails to recognize that We the People did not surrender our rights when we formed our government -- we formed our government to secure our rights.

I agree with your interpretation; but I would also note that the same Hamilton argued, in Federalist 30 and 34, a that the "Welfare clause" was an independent source of governement power and was consistent with "an indefinite constitutional power of taxation". Madison, in Federalist 41, offered a much narrower interpretation, to the effect that spending for the general welfare is merely instrumental to the enumerated powers of Congress. By deciding to adopt Hamilton's interpretation over Madison's, the Supreme Court in effect did make law under the pretense of interpreting it, to the extent that, in my opinion, did infringe on people's rights. (Findlaw has a good overview of the Supreme Court's Welfare Cause jurisprudence, which should allow every reader to make her own judgement.) Anyway, in the context of this discussion, my point was that Hamilton contradicted himself. He first argued for a broad interpretation of federal powers, then argued against a Bill of Rights because it was superfluous under a narrow interpretation of federal powers.

Hamilton's welfare clause interpretation, together with the super-stretched Commerce Clause created in interpretations by the New Deal and Great Society Supreme Courts, does erode the concept of limited powers to a degree that it infringe on people's rights, and does give judicial activists the power to infringe on people's rights. I am not going into the super-stretched Commerce Clause for now because it wasn't created in the Federalist, but will do if people are interested.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:16 am
Justice Marshall did use the Constitution as justification for his opinion in Marbury v. Madison:
"The judicial power of the United States is extended to all cases arising under the constitution.
Could it be the intention of those who gave this power, to say that in using it the constitution should not be looked into? That a case arising under the constitution should be decided without examining the instrument under which it arises?
This is too extravagant to be maintained."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:56 am
That was not my point, wandeljw. You are correct in saying that the Constitution gives the Supreme Court a power that "shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority." That gives the federal courts the power to hear certain kinds of cases. It does not give the federal courts the power to excercise judicial review of Congress in hearing them. It does not tell us that the constitution takes precedence over all other "laws of the United States". It does not tell us that the Supreme Court, rather than Congress or the President or the states, is the supreme authority for deciding what the constitution means. (The "Supreme" in "Supreme Court" refers to its status within the federal court system, not to its status relative to the executive and the legislature.)

English courts have the power to hear cases that arise under the English constitution -- or the collection of laws that pass for a constitution in England. They don't have the power, and didn't have it when America declared independence, to excercise judicial review of the laws the English Parliament passes. Nothing in the American constitution gives such a power to the Supreme Court. Hence, the existence of the right today rests on nothing chief justice Marshal's rhetoric -- "This is too extravagant to be maintained" -- and on the power of tradition in practical jurisprudence.

I'm not saying this because judicial review is a terribly bad thing. It clearly is not. It's just that Marbury v. Madison illustrates nicely what supporters of strict construction mean by 'judicial activism', and by the practice of 'making law under the pretense of interpreting it.'
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:19 am
Thomas writes
Quote:
I'm not saying this because judicial review is a terribly bad thing. It clearly is not. It's just that Marbury v. Madison illustrates nicely what supporters of strict construction mean by 'judicial activism', and by the practice of 'making law under the pretense of interpreting it.'

I think also that most of the federalists were strict constructionists and never intended for the judiciary to get into the business of making laws. The intent was that the judiciary would apply strict application of the law in mediation of disputes and that the judiciary would be only barely co-equal with the executive and legislative branches of government if even that.

Excepted from Federalist 78
Quote:
Whoever attentively considers the different departments of power must perceive, that in a government in which they are separated from each other, the judiciary, from the nature of its functions, will always be the least dangerous to the political rights of the constitution; because it will be least in a capacity to annoy or injure them. The executive not only dispenses the honors, but holds the sword of the community. The legislature not only commands the purse, but prescribes the rules by which the duties and rights of every citizen are to be regulated. The judiciary on the contrary has no influence over either the sword or the purse, no direction either of the strength or of the wealth of the society, and can take no active resolution whatever. It may truly be said to have neither Force nor Will, but merely judgment; and must ultimately depend upon the aid of the executive arm even for the efficacy of its judgments.

http://www.founding.com/library/lbody.cfm?id=310&parent=53

It is apparent to me that the founders never envisioned such a diversity of values and opinions as exist in today's society and it never occurred to them that judges would ever use their powers for social activism to the extent it is done today.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:34 am
Thomas,

I felt that Justice Marshall was saying that the principle of judicial review is at least implied in the Constitution.

You have a very good point about making law under the pretense of interpreting the law!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 12:20 pm
wandeljw wrote:
I felt that Justice Marshall was saying that the principle of judicial review is at least implied in the Constitution.

wandeljw: you're right, it was what he was saying. But was it true? For a modern reader of his opinion, it seems obvious enough that it was, because that's where things have been standing for centuries -- ever since he wrote the opinion in 1803. In 1803 though, judicial revies was a major break in America's constitutional tradition, and it was imposed by the Supreme Court without the people ever debating it, and without any legislature ever voting on it. Chief justice Marshal's opinion, which seems so natural today, was a bold assertion of dubious credibility at the time he wrote it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:20 pm
OK, I'm back. Lets see if we can keep moving this topic along.

Deb writes:
Quote:
The most significant step in understanding constitutional law is recognizing that the constitution did not create individual rights.

The Declaration of Independence sets forth the truth: We are born with inalienable rights. We form governments to secure our inalienable rights.

When our founding fathers drafted the Constitution, they created a government of limited powers. To protect the people from tyranny and oppression that would likely occur if too much power accumulated in one single branch of the government, the foundings fathers provided for separation of powers and checks and balances.

When our founding fathers drafted the Bill of Rights, they were not creating "constitutional rights," they were placing limits on government's power to infringe upon the rights that we already had.

This is a very good point. The constitution doesn't create rights.

The constitution also states that the rights listed in bill of rights are not the only rights. The 9th amendment states
Quote:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

This leads to an interesting question of which I assume there is a difference of opinion. Does the court create law when it enumerates a right that isn't listed in the constitution? Or is the court only pointing out more inalienable rights that the legislature is limited in interfering with?

Most of the controversial decisions from the court I can think of actually base rights on existing rights listed in the constitution. The right to refuse medical treatment is based partially on the 14th amendment as is the right to an abortion. Are these rights an extension of existing rights or a creation of new rights? Certainly a topic in and of itself.

The courts exist because of the Constitution. The Constitution creates the Supreme Court and inferior courts to be created later by the Congress but still part of the judicial branch. Fox and I had a brief discussion earlier about this and I think we came to agreement on that. If anyone disagrees and wants to discuss we can go back to it. From Fed 78, which I posted before, it would appear that the courts have standing to be a check on the legislature and the executive branch from violating the constitution. (Also open to discussion.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
Deb wrote:
Quote:
The dangers that Hamilton warned about exist.

Not to get too far off topic here but let me post a quick reply to Hamilton's argument from that same period that points out the danger of no bill of rights.

http://www.mises.org/story/1117

Quote:
Brutus' rebuttal was that the federal government would grow beyond those enumerated powers, unless Americans' inviolable rights were clearly laid out in a Bill of Rights.

Most would have to agree that the Federal government has grown far beyond what those first enumerated powers are. Some of those new powers were perhaps necessary to protect citizens and some may have been over reaching on the part of the Federal government.

If we assume the courts have no power to declare laws unconstitutional then there is no impediment to the legislature's overstepping its constitutional boundaries. I find that argument untenable since the founders were well aware of the frailty of human nature when it came to power and its abuse.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:40 pm
Parados writes
Quote:
This leads to an interesting question of which I assume there is a difference of opinion. Does the court create law when it enumerates a right that isn't listed in the constitution? Or is the court only pointing out more inalienable rights that the legislature is limited in interfering with?

Most of the controversial decisions from the court I can think of actually base rights on existing rights listed in the constitution. The right to refuse medical treatment is based partially on the 14th amendment as is the right to an abortion. Are these rights an extension of existing rights or a creation of new rights? Certainly a topic in and of itself.

Welcome back Parados. Hope you had a great trip.

To me an inalienable right is that which requires no contribution or participation by any other person other than his or her noninterference. I think this is implied in the Federalist papers. I wish it was affirmed in the Constitution.

In the examples you cited the 'right to refuse medical treatment' is affirmed in the 14th amendment except when it comes to minor children and certain other factors pulling in the First Amendment and additional considerations.

Should I be able to refuse medical treatment? Sure. But should I be able to refuse to be vaccinated against communicable diseases and still have the right to participate in social activities? Does the school have to allow the HIV positive student play on the football team despite a lot of frequently bloody physical contact? The government requires the parent to provide for the kids but steps in to prevent the parent from abusing the child, not educating the child, or putting the child at risk without a proper seat belt or child seat and/or exposure to many other hazards. Also the parent is required to immunize the children against specific communicabl diseases and there are some who say certain religious groups should not be allowed to refuse medical treatment for their kids. So whose kids are these? Ours? Or the governments?

The issue of abortion is just as complicated. The right of the woman to have an abortion was based on an argument that only those 'born' have constitutional protection and thus the woman should made her own decisions regarding her body. But if she uses illegal substances that harm the unborn child she can be held liable; laws are being passed that injury to a pregnant woman can also include injury to her unborn baby, and then there is the absurdity of it being legal to kill the baby five minutes before birth or even as the baby emerges from the womb, but killing it five seconds after birth is murder.

I think every time the courts rule on matters like this, they frequently are making new law that was never envisioned by the federalists.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:21 pm
Thomas wrote:
parados wrote:
The courts rule on laws and the constitution. The constitution trumps any laws. Meaning in the constitution is decided by the courts since they have the appellate Jurisdiction.

Well for starters, where in the constitution does it say that courts can void the laws of Congress by ruling them unconstitutional? England didn't have judicial review of legislation when America declared independence, and nothing in the constitution introduced it. Judicial review was established by the Supreme Court's ruling in Marbury v. Madison, on no constitutional basis whatsoever. My source for this is Jay Feinman: Law 101 -- Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System. Oxford University Press (2000). The author of the book is a liberal with no axe to grind in favor of strict construction.

Thomas:

The Constitution (First Amendment) provides that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

Assume that Congress passed a bill that provides for the establishment of of the Federal Church of God. Assume that the President vetos the bill because it violates the Constitution, but Congress musters enough votes to override the veto.

Accordingly, Congress has done what the Constitution prohibits. Our first line of defense against the passage of an unconstitutional enactment through the executive veto power was thwarted. What can the people do when Congress does what the Constitution says Congress shall not do? The people have the right to take their case to the courts. The courts are required to apply the law to the facts.

The facts are simple: The supreme law of the land says Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion. Congress has clearly done what the law prohibits. The courts will rule that Congress violated the law and will fashion a remedy. The enactment will be declared unconstitutional. An unconstitutional law is void ab initio.

The judiciary was created as a branch of government and our courts exist to decide cases and controversies that arise under the constitution and the laws made pursuant thereto. If two laws conflict, the superior law in the heirarchy of laws prevails -- and the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. It is the court's job to apply the law. That's why the courts have the power to rule that a congressional enactment that conflicts with the constititution is void.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:34 pm
Thomas writes
Quote:
That was not my point, wandeljw. You are correct in saying that the Constitution gives the Supreme Court a power that "shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority." That gives the federal courts the power to hear certain kinds of cases. It does not give the federal courts the power to excercise judicial review of Congress in hearing them. It does not tell us that the constitution takes precedence over all other "laws of the United States". It does not tell us that the Supreme Court, rather than Congress or the President or the states, is the supreme authority for deciding what the constitution means. (The "Supreme" in "Supreme Court" refers to its status within the federal court system, not to its status relative to the executive and the legislature.)

I understand what you are saying Thomas but I question the logic. If the constitution has no power over any law passed by congress then Congress and the President of one party could easily pass a law that eliminates the courts. I highly doubt that was the intention of the constitution since it places pretty strict restrictions on what Congress can do.

The idea of an overriding law was not new. Common law was considered supreme in England at the time and it derived from the Magna Carta.
http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/featured_documents/magna_carta/legacy.html
Quote:
Attorney General for Elizabeth, Chief Justice during the reign of James, and a leader in Parliament in opposition to Charles I, used Magna Carta as a weapon against the oppressive tactics of the Stuart kings. Coke argued that even kings must comply to common law. As he proclaimed to Parliament in 1628, "Magna Carta . . . will have no sovereign."

Another Coke quote: http://www.commonlaw.com/Coke.html
Quote:
"Law temporall." Which consisteth in three parts, viz, First, on the common law, expressed in our bookes of law, and judiciall records. Secondly, on statutes contained in acts and records of parliament. And thirdly, on customes grounded upon reason, and used time out of minde; and the construction and determination of these doe belong to the judges of the realme.

Prior to the US constitution, other courts had often ruled on conflicting laws and decided which one had preference. In Blackstone's treatise Commentaries on the Laws of England" he discusses the roles of courts and the supremacy of one set of laws over another.
Quote:
The common law has reserved to itself the exposition of all such acts of parliament, as concern either the extent of these courts, or the matters depending before them. And therefore, if these courts either refuse to allow these acts of parliament, or will expound them in any other sense than what the common law puts upon them, the king's courts at Westminster will grant prohibitions to restrain and control them.
So even in England prior to the US revolution it was possible for courts to overrule Parliament.

The logic of the Supreme Court having the ability to rule on constitutionality is I think fairly clear based on prior "common law" allowing courts to do so to other bodies and even rulers. The constitution states:
Quote:
The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made
It could well be argued that the 3 are listed in order of supremecy, Constitution, Laws and then treaties. Whether or not this was the intent, I can't say for sure. I haven't had the time to reread the complete Marbury vs Madison yet but I don't feel they made up the ruling out of thin air. I will hopefully get the chance to read it and address it later.

Another interesting point brought up by Coke and repeated by Blackstone is that "common law" derives much from judicial rulings and that we need to give deference to those prior rulings.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:39 pm
Quote:
parados wrote:
Is Delay's threat to the judiciary an attempt to encroach upon or oppress them?

I think you're assuming your conclusion. Religious Americans routinely make remarks to the effect that human courts are not the highest ones, and that bad people who didn't pay for their sins in this life will have to pay for it in the afterlife. DeLay's wording was consistent with that interpretation; and while I don't like the remark, I think it's hype to call it a threat.

I still haven't seen the quote from Delay in its entirety. I asked the question based on the little I had heard and a biased opinion on what it meant. No is a perfectly good answer and you may know more about the quote than I do at this time. I had only hoped to spark a conversation on "seperation of powers."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:00 am
All Delay said was something to the effect that the 'courts would have to answer for their actions' (in the Schiavo case.) Some high partison hacks have characterized that as an all out assault on the courts, threats against judges, etc. etc. etc. I, on the other hand, heard no 'incitement to riot or terrorism' as some suggest but rather it was one of those rhetorical platitudes similar to 'what goes around comes around', etc.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:21 am
Debra_Law wrote:
Assume that Congress passed a bill that provides for the establishment of of the Federal Church of God. Assume that the President vetos the bill because it violates the Constitution, but Congress musters enough votes to override the veto.

Fine. In the English legal system of the time, which arguably was the same in this regard as the American before Marbury, the constitution was just another statute. Hence, the earlier statute (the constitution) would have said one thing, the later statute (the act of congress) would have said something else. From the courts' point of view, this would have meant that the latter statute dominated. I'm not saying this is an intelligent state of affairs, but that's the way it had been during the centuries leading up to Marbury. And, for one contemporary reference, that's how you will see the constitution treated in Tucker's commentaries on Blackstone (1803), which were written before Marbury was decided, and published the same year it was.

Debra_Law wrote:
The facts are simple: The supreme law of the land says Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion.

Here your reasoning gets circular. You seem to be saying that Marshal merely affirmed the supreme law of the land. But we are talking about 1803 here, when you have no basis except Marshal's word for asserting that the constitution is the supreme law of the land. Where, before Marbury, did Congress pass this doctrine into law? Not in the constitution. As far as I know, nowhere else. For all I can see, however wise his judgment may have been, justice Marshal's created this doctrine out of thin air. (If you disagree: please show me which statute he read it up in.)

Debra_Law wrote:
The judiciary was created as a branch of government and our courts exist to decide cases and controversies that arise under the constitution and the laws made pursuant thereto. If two laws conflict, the superior law in the heirarchy of laws prevails -- and the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

Thus spoke chief justice Marshal, in Marbury vs. Madison, but this doesn't, by itself, make it true. The constitution itself doesn't say that, and it wasn't until the Civil War that the American legal system consented unanimously to Marshal's assertion.

parados wrote:
I understand what you are saying Thomas but I question the logic. If the constitution has no power over any law passed by congress then Congress and the President of one party could easily pass a law that eliminates the courts. I highly doubt that was the intention of the constitution since it places pretty strict restrictions on what Congress can do.

As a matter of logic, you are right. But, as chief justice Holmes so aptly observed, "The life of the law hasn't been logic. It has been experience." And the system you find so illogical is the system under which England had been operating for several hundred years. As a matter of experience, it hadn't prevented England from being a free and attractive society.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
Thomas,
The idea of the courts being able to declare an act by the legislature unconstitutional is hardly a new one in 1803. It is discussed in Federalist 78

Quote:
The complete independence of the courts of justice is peculiarly essential in a limited Constitution. By a limited Constitution, I understand one which contains certain specified exceptions to the legislative authority; such, for instance, as that it shall pass no bills of attainder, no ex post facto laws, and the like. Limitations of this kind can be preserved in practice no other way than through the medium of courts of justice, whose duty it must be to declare all acts contrary to the manifest tenor of the Constitution void. Without this, all the reservations of particular rights or privileges would amount to nothing.

Some perplexity respecting the rights of the courts to pronounce legislative acts void, because contrary to the constitution, has arisen from an imagination that the doctrine would imply a superiority of the judiciary to the legislative power. It is urged that the authority which can declare the acts of another void, must necessarily be superior to the one whose acts may be declared void. As this doctrine is of great importance in all the American constitutions, a brief discussion of the ground on which it rests cannot be unacceptable.

and most importantly in refutation of your argument Thomas is this quote also from 78
Quote:
There is no position which depends on clearer principles, than that every act of a delegated authority, contrary to the tenor of the commission under which it is exercised, is void. No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid. To deny this, would be to affirm, that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers, may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid.

and
Quote:
The interpretation of the laws is the proper and peculiar province of the courts. A constitution is, in fact, and must be regarded by the judges, as a fundamental law. It therefore belongs to them to ascertain its meaning,[/[/color]B] as well as the meaning of any particular act proceeding form the legislative body.

I think the writers of the constitution felt it was quite clear in their brief language that courts could rule on the constitutionality of laws. Since a law can be voided that must make the constitution supreme over any law passed by Congress.

The logic is all laid out prior to Marbury to give the courts the right to rule what the constitution means. Each state had a constitution that was supreme in that state. Courts can declare acts of the legislature to be unconstitutional. The Constitution is fundamental law. The province of courts is to ascertain meaning of the Constitution as it is fundamental law.

Since courts get to decide the meaning of both the laws from the legislature and the law of the Constitution it is difficult to argue that Marbury is new thinking but only that it is first judicial application. The biggest opening is in disagreeing with interpretations of those laws. I think that the constitution does state it is supreme law just by its existence. You appear to disagree. I think your argument fails based on the red quote above from Fed 78.

---- edited to fix quote structure
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:05 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
Welcome back Parados. Hope you had a great trip.

Thanks, I enjoyed it. Lying on the beach, eating, drinking...........
I did start a biography of Ben Franklin which I hope to find time to finish.
Quote:

To me an inalienable right is that which requires no contribution or participation by any other person other than his or her noninterference. I think this is implied in the Federalist papers. I wish it was affirmed in the Constitution.

I agree to a point. I need to read all of Locke on this at some point. He points out that we have responsibility to raise our children. Of course this is what courts do on a daily basis, balance our rights against those of others and you give some good examples.

Quote:
In the examples you cited the 'right to refuse medical treatment' is affirmed in the 14th amendment except when it comes to minor children and certain other factors pulling in the First Amendment and additional considerations.

Should I be able to refuse medical treatment? Sure. But should I be able to refuse to be vaccinated against communicable diseases and still have the right to participate in social activities? Does the school have to allow the HIV positive student play on the football team despite a lot of frequently bloody physical contact? The government requires the parent to provide for the kids but steps in to prevent the parent from abusing the child, not educating the child, or putting the child at risk without a proper seat belt or child seat and/or exposure to many other hazards. Also the parent is required to immunize the children against specific communicabl diseases and there are some who say certain religious groups should not be allowed to refuse medical treatment for their kids. So whose kids are these? Ours? Or the governments?

The issue of abortion is just as complicated. The right of the woman to have an abortion was based on an argument that only those 'born' have constitutional protection and thus the woman should made her own decisions regarding her body. But if she uses illegal substances that harm the unborn child she can be held liable; laws are being passed that injury to a pregnant woman can also include injury to her unborn baby, and then there is the absurdity of it being legal to kill the baby five minutes before birth or even as the baby emerges from the womb, but killing it five seconds after birth is murder.

Franklin wrote a piece on abortion that is mentioned in the biography from the standpoint of and in the guise of a woman. I am going to have to try to track it down. The author didn't quote it much but it makes it appear Franklin basically told men to keep their hands off a woman's body since it was none of their business.

Quote:
I think every time the courts rule on matters like this, they frequently are making new law that was never envisioned by the federalists.

If it is a right how can it be a new law? Inalienable rights can't be created by laws they can only be infringed. That is part of what I wanted to discuss in this thread is what you think is making law when it comes to the court. Can you provide a specific example that we can discuss?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:36 pm
Parados writes
Quote:
If it is a right how can it be a new law? Inalienable rights can't be created by laws they can only be infringed. That is part of what I wanted to discuss in this thread is what you think is making law when it comes to the court. Can you provide a specific example that we can discuss?

Here's a couple if we work hard to make sure that everybody stays on point on the legal angle and doesn't get sidetracked by the moral angle: (It's hard to avoid issues that have no particular moral angle as it is in the areas of morality/religion/ethics that the courts are most often criticized for legal activism.)

Do the unborn have rights? If so, then how was making abortion legal and thus overturning most state law everywhere not a new law? If not, then how are laws related to mistreatment of the unborn constiutitonal?

On a more local level, a local judge ruled gay marriage legal even though it was against the state's implied definition of marriage. The attorney general overruled the judge until the state could deal with it this past legislative session. If this one makes it to the supreme court and gay marriage is ruled legal everywhere, is this the court making law?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm
parados wrote:
The idea of the courts being able to declare an act by the legislature unconstitutional is hardly a new one in 1803. It is discussed in Federalist 78

True enough. But my contention wasn't that the concept was new, it was that it wasn't, at the time, derived from the constitution. From reading Federalist 78, it seems likely to me that Hamilton was taking a position on a contentious subject. Also note how Hamilton defends his position in terms of common sense, not in terms of constitutional law. He says that it would have undesirable consequences if Congress judged the constitutionality of his own laws; he says the constitution ought to be regarded as supreme because it's a good idea. But I don't see him make a legal argument that the law itself compels things to be done this way.

I admit I can't provide any quotes from founding fathers who argued the other side of the debate at the time -- that the constitution be treated as just another statute, like England treated hers -- but it isn't clear to me that Hamilton reported a consensus among the founders, as opposed to taking a partisan position against some of them like he did on the federal power to tax.
0 Replies