Father in law question.....

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:54 am
Recently my father in law moved in with us, after the death of his wife. We live in a small house, and including him, there are 8 of us living there. (myself, wife, 2 teenagers, 3 small children, and finally father in law). My wife insisted that he live with us, even though he had other children to move in with, all of whom had larger houses and fewer occupants. I voiced this feeling to her to no avail. She wants him there with her, I think mainly for her own peace of mind.

In my opinion, his moving in with us has disrupted my relationship with my wife. We now sleep in the basement (one large room, no dividing walls) with the 3 little kids, while father in law, and the teens sleep up stairs. We have NO privacy, NO private time to talk, he is always in the house, there are so many people living there that you cant help but hearing everything that goes on. When I say anything about there being too many people, she becomes defensive. How can you possibly have a good marriage when there are 3 PEOPLE in it??????
This is ripping things apart, with no end in sight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 906 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:04 am
welfarecheese99- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Boy, you do have a serious problem. Have you sat down with her, when you are not angry, and discussed the entire issue thoroughly? Does she understand that her father is causing havoc in your home? Does she know that you feel that there will be problems in your marriage because of the choice that she has made?

Why are you in the basement? It sounds like your wife is putting your father ahead of the two of you. That is not good.

Take her out to dinner, away from the family, in a neutral area. Tell her exactly how you feel. Discuss the various options. Can your Father in law live by himself? In an assisted living facility? You need to make it very clear to her, that you cannot live the way that you are, and that the marriage may be in jeopardy.

It sounds to me that for whatever reason, your wife is more concerned about her father than she is about you. She needs to make a choice. If the choice is her father, then you know what you have to do.
0 Replies