I Can't Believe This

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
Everyone except the Schindlers and their legal team (on payroll so what do you expect) agrees, whether they were pro Schiavo or pro Schindler (except for the radical erring on the side of lifers and by definition I mean the ones threatening to kill the judge and Michaels relatives, the lunatic fringe) that at this point Terri is damaged beyond repair, unless I'm missing something, so why are they doing this now? Your opinion?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/30/schiavo/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:40 am
I think this is just sick now. It's like wanting to keep your dead child with you instead of burying him/her. I could understand before when there was a chance of her coming back but they've stated it is far past the point of no return. So they literally have a zombie, not a daughter. They need to let go.

I feel horrible for these people and can't imagine the pain and suffering they are enduring since I have never had to watch my child die, but this is just nonsense. She pleaded for them to give her daughter back but he daughter has been gone for 15 years now. She needs to let go. This is an unhealthy obsession with a woman who cannot know.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:49 am
No one can give this mother her "child back". They couldn't do that 15 years ago, either. The situation is incomprehensible & extremely disturbing.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:49 am
I think this is the answer
This may be the answer along with the lure of money raising.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48106&highlight=
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:52 am
I think the parents living in the same vegetative state that their daughter is. I am surprised they do not want to have her frozen until such time that medical science comes up with a "cure" for her condition.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:54 am
au1929 wrote:
I think the parents living in the same vegetative state that their daughter is. I am surprised they do not want to have her frozen until such time that medical science comes up with a "cure" for her condition.

Exactly. I find this whole situation very distrubing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:03 am
Well put, au.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:12 am
Good grief.
I can not imagine holding on to MY daughter for 15 years of diaper changing, showering her because she CANT, watching her muscles atrophy, her tongue crack and bleed, wither in shape, loose her skin tone and be covered with bed sores because she cant move unless SOMEONE does it for her , in hopes that she will get better?
COME ON.
I can understand wanting to keep her alive right after the accident.. there is a HUGE window of opportunity for recovery immediatly following an incident of brain damage.
15 years? ................... Confused
It seems a very selfish thing for her mother to try to play the " Give me my daughter back" card...
Your daughter isnt there. If she were, she wouldnt **** on herself, she could FEED her self, MOVE when she was uncomfortable..

Mad

yeah, this is bothersome.
But, Im not in thier shoes I guess.. I dont know what is going on. >sigh<
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:25 am
Apparently, they feel the procedurers were not properly followed.

"The petition, submitted by Schindler attorney David Gibbs, said the federal judges who rejected previous efforts to have Terri Schiavo's feeding tube reinserted violated a Supreme Court precedent that requires them to consider the full record of the case, not just the procedural history from the state court."

They probably will admit it is too late to save their child, but if they can prove that proper procedures were not followed, they have every right to proceed.

"The petition repeated the Schindlers' contention that the testimony of Terri Schiavo's husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo -- that his wife had said she would refuse life support -- was not credible enough for a court to decide such a question of life or death."

There is no reason to criticize the parents in this regard.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:28 am
woiyo wrote:
Apparently, they feel the procedurers were not properly followed.

"The petition, submitted by Schindler attorney David Gibbs, said the federal judges who rejected previous efforts to have Terri Schiavo's feeding tube reinserted violated a Supreme Court precedent that requires them to consider the full record of the case, not just the procedural history from the state court."

They probably will admit it is too late to save their child, but if they can prove that proper procedures were not followed, they have every right to proceed.

"The petition repeated the Schindlers' contention that the testimony of Terri Schiavo's husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo -- that his wife had said she would refuse life support -- was not credible enough for a court to decide such a question of life or death."

There is no reason to criticize the parents in this regard.

Then what's this about? If they said today it was okay to reinsert the feeding tube and the parents did it with knowledge that it's too late, then where's the love? It ceases to be about Terri which many including myself think has been the case the whole time anyway.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:29 am
May I add that just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:37 am
While one's heart can certainly go out to them (Schindlers) on one hand..............On the other hand they're money grubbing whores (re the donor list selling). And yet they accuse Michael Schiavo of being all about the money..?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:42 am
donor list selling? This I don't know about. Details please?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:45 am
yeah, details....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:48 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
May I add that just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it.

Now you're offering a personal opinion. The reason the Schindlers are doing this is not for the public to judge.

If they can prove that certain procedures were not followed, they may have a cause of action against the "husband" or the hospitals or even the courts that just might help the NEXT Terri Schiavo.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:52 am
woiyo wrote:

Now you're offering a personal opinion. The reason the Schindlers are doing this is not for the public to judge.If they can prove that certain procedures were not followed, they may have a cause of action against the "husband" or the hospitals or even the courts that just might help the NEXT Terri Schiavo.

Then how about the disruptive citizens and preachers and demonstrators and the God awful bottom feeding media shut the hell up and go home and let the courts quietly decide? That's a sword that cuts both ways.

And I disagree that my statement is just a personal opinion btw.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
woiyo wrote:

Now you're offering a personal opinion. The reason the Schindlers are doing this is not for the public to judge.If they can prove that certain procedures were not followed, they may have a cause of action against the "husband" or the hospitals or even the courts that just might help the NEXT Terri Schiavo.

Then how about the disruptive citizens and preachers and demonstrators and the God awful bottom feeding media shut the hell up and go home and let the courts quietly decide? That's a sword that cuts both ways.

And I disagree that my statement is just a personal opinion btw.

I agree with regard to the press, disruptive citizens etc.. It is none of anyones business.

BTW, all opinions are personal since you speak only for yourself. You implied that what they are doing is "not right", which of course constitutes your opinion.

My opinion is they have a right to do it, and probably should if they feel some injustice was done. The courts will decide.

As far as them making money off this, I would expect both sides will cash in once the book deals and TV deals etc come about. There are lawyers to pay!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:18 am

Surely you recognize that is exactly what has transpired in the legal maneuvering in this matter to date?
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 04:35 pm
Sorry, from yesterdays New York Times:

March 29, 2005
List of Schiavo Donors Will Be Sold by Direct-Marketing Firm
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and JOHN SCHWARTZ

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.

"These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father. "These individuals are passionate about the way they value human life, adamantly oppose euthanasia and are pro-life in every sense of the word!"

Privacy experts said the sale of the list was legal and even predictable, if ghoulish.

"I think it's amusing," said Robert Gellman, a privacy and information policy consultant. "I think it's absolutely classic America. Everything is for sale in America, every type of personal information."

Executives of Response Unlimited declined to comment. Gary McCullough, director of the Christian Communication Network and a spokesman for Ms. Schiavo's parents, confirmed that Mr. Schindler had agreed to let Response Unlimited rent out the list as part of a deal for the firm to send an e-mail solicitation raising money on the family's behalf.

The Schindlers have waged a lengthy legal battle against their son-in-law Michael Schiavo to prevent the removal of the feeding tube from their daughter, who doctors say is in a persistent vegetative state.

Mr. McCullough said he was present when Mr. Schindler agreed to the arrangement in a conversation with Phil Sheldon, the co-founder of a conservative online marketing organization, RightMarch.com, who acted as a broker for Response Unlimited.

"So the Schindlers do know the details," Mr. McCullough said on Monday. How much attention they paid to the matter is hard to assess, he added. "The Schindlers right now know that their daughter is starving to death, and if I ask about anything else, they say, 'I don't want to hear about it.' "

Direct mail and mass e-mailings are ubiquitous fund-raising tools of interest groups on the left as well as the right, and others in the direct-mail business defended the sale of lists like the roster of donors to the Schindlers as a useful way for potential donors to learn of causes that might appeal to them.

Pamela Hennessy, an unpaid spokeswoman for the Schindlers, said she was initially appalled when she learned of the list's existence.

"It is possibly the most distasteful thing I have ever seen," Ms. Hennessy said. "Everybody is making a buck off of her."

Ms. Hennessy, who operates the Schindlers' Web site, www.terrisfight.org, said the family had not released any of the names or e-mail addresses gathered there. "Obviously these people are enterprising, and they are taking advantage of this very desperate father," she said.

On Sunday, as the Schindlers gave up on their legal battle and their daughter passed her 10th day without food, others continued to rally supporters and solicit money in an effort to restore the feeding tube.

"This time, we have a real chance to break through the 'roadblocks' that the enemies of life have been putting up in front of us," said a mass e-mailing from RightMarch.com, asking supporters to urge Gov. Jeb Bush to intervene somehow.

The message added: "We're asking you to give a donation to help with our activism efforts to save Terri's life. Battles cost money; resources cost money; media costs money; we could go on, but you get the picture."

Mr. Sheldon - whose father, the Rev. Lou Sheldon, founder of the Traditional Values Coalition, has also sent appeals urging support for Ms. Schiavo - apparently played a dual role as a partner in RightMarch.com, which is working with the anti-abortion activist Randall Terry, and as a broker for Response Unlimited. Mr. Sheldon did not respond to phone calls yesterday.

"I think it sounds a little unusual right now because of the situation where she is in the process of dying," said Richard Viguerie, another major conservative direct-mail operator. "If you came across this information six months or a year from now, I don't think you would give it too much thought."

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search | Corrections | RSS | Help | Back to Top
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:14 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Surely you recognize that is exactly what has transpired in the legal maneuvering in this matter to date?

absolutely and to an even greater degree the political maneuvering.
0 Replies