3 prong plug won't fit into 3 prong outlet

droliff

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:58 am
Hello,
This is my first post in the able2know forums. I live in an apartment and I recently tried plugging a three prong plug into one of the standard 3 prong AC outlets. The top outlet to be specific, the power to which is controlled by a light switch, so I can turn a light on that is plugged into that outlet when I come in. The light is two prong. I recently tried to plug in a three pronged plug into this outlet and it doesn't go in. It seems that it is blocked in the 'ground hole' of the three. I called the landlord to take a look but I know that he has a history of forgetting and/or taking a long time to address things. I thought I'd investigate this myself by going online first, before going to a Home Depot and asking about it. There is another outlet in the apartment that is hooked up the same way, where the power to the top receptacle is controlled by a light switch. A three prong plug fits into that receptacle just fine. I'm no electrician, so I don't want to tinker around too much. My question is, why do you suppose this might be happening on this particular top receptacle in the AC outlet by my front door? It seems odd. Maybe there's a particular type of AC receptacle that blocks the ground hole in the outlet of a on/off power by light switch scenario? I'd like to be able to resolve this myself or at least get input from experts.

Thanks.

Hope this goes to the correct forum as I'm not sure how to use this site yet.

Dennis

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 4

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 12:49 pm
Could be somebody broke off the ground part of a three prong inside the outlet. If so you would need to get the outlet replaced.
engineer

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 01:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think Edgar nailed it. Look and see if you can see something in the plugged slot.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 07:41 pm
@droliff,
I had a similar thing happen. The ground prong broke off in the outlet. With the power off, you can use a drill bit of appropriate size to dig into the broken prong and pull it out. The prong is usually a hollow piece.
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2018 10:35 pm
@droliff,
don't alter anything in your apartment since you do not own it or stick anything in the outlet that isn't supposed to go in there. the outlet insides are probably broken cracked or just older I see this bunches. older outlets may not fit standard plugs these days, also older light cords sometimes have bigger prongs. the circle hole is your ground and the two vertical holes are hot and nuetral
0 Replies