http://www.wral.com/news/4327439/detail.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,398 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
This could be interesting. I will stay tuned!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
Shocked

Interesting is an understatement Phoenix.. Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
Quote:
Report: Pope May Need Feeding Tube
Italian News Agency Says No Decision Yet

POSTED: 2:25 pm EST March 29, 2005
UPDATED: 2:54 pm EST March 29, 2005

VATICAN CITY -- Pope John Paul II may have to return to the hospital to have a feeding tube inserted, an Italian news agency reported Tuesday. It stressed that no decision had been made.

The APcom news agency, citing an unidentified source, said the 84-year-old pope might have to have the tube inserted to improve his nutrition, since he is having difficulty swallowing with the breathing tube that was inserted Feb. 24.

Earlier Tuesday, the Italian daily Corriere della Sera reported that the pope's doctors were considering a new hospitalization next week, both to perform tests on the breathing tube and to adjust his diet because of problems swallowing.

There was no comment from the Vatican. Nicola Cerbino, a spokesman at Polyclinic Gemelli hospital where John Paul was rushed twice last month, called it media speculation.

Another newspaper, La Repubblica, quoted the pope's Vatican physician, Dr. Renato Buzzonetti, as saying doctors are "reasonably calm" about the frail pope's condition.
The pontiff, who was unable to preside at Holy Week events, skipped another tradition Monday -- a post-Easter blessing from his window -- ending the Easter holiday as silently as he began it.

A few hundred people had gathered in St. Peter's Square in hopes that John Paul would appear as he has on each Easter Monday of his 26-year pontificate, and Vatican TV cameras zoomed in on his third-floor window at about noon. But the curtains remained closed as the pope continued his recovery from throat surgery.

"Despite the regret, we're happy because it's good that he continues his convalescence without strain," said the Rev. Federico Lombardi, head of programming at Radio Vatican.

John Paul's appearance on Easter Sunday -- when he tried but failed to speak -- was still on the minds of many at the Vatican, a dramatic end to a Holy Week in which the pope's suffering was clearly evident.

John Paul had come to his studio window at the end of Easter Mass to bless the tens of thousands of people in the square below. Aides readied a microphone, and he tapped it as if preparing to speak. But after uttering a few unintelligible sounds, he made the sign of the cross with his hand and the microphone was taken away.

Vatican Radio said Monday it would be difficult to ever forget the pope's pained "Urbi et Orbi" blessing and that it would "remain in the history of the church and humanity."

"This silence -- full of emotion and desire to speak beyond the physical ability to communicate -- spoke to us perhaps as never before the universal language of love," Lombardi said. "For us, it was enough. We understood what the pope wanted to say, and how much he wanted to bless us."

John Paul last spoke to the public March 13, shortly before he was discharged from the hospital for a second time in a month. In addition to the breathing tube, John Paul suffers from Parkinson's disease, which makes it difficult for him to talk.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
Ironic, isn't it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
shewolfnm- One must keep cool in the midst of a whirlwind, lest one be pulled into it! Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:59 pm
if you want me to take that post down blue..
just tell me.
I just figured it would bring about more conversation if people could just open the thread and see what you are talking about..
those of us ( like me ) who are on dial up. sometimes have a hard time opening diffrent pages and may skip what could be a very interesting article...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:00 pm
Somehow I think we will all regret this...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Why is this regretful?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:02 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Why is this regretful?

I don't know about blue, but I was speaking of bringing up the topic, not the events.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:04 pm
no problem she wolf.

McGentrix because it's a pot stirrer, and besides, that's why I brought it up.

That's not a lie, it's a spinning of the truth. Misdirection if you will. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:08 pm
Seems like an entirely different issue. I hadn't read about it yet. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:35 pm
I wonder what his mom and dad will do if things get bad.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:56 pm
Agree with McG - dont really see much of a comparison. Its not like anyone said, a propos of the S. case: oh yeah, lets let everyone who relies on a feeding tube die.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:13 am
Why is this regretful???
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:35 am
So, do you suppose he will feel the same way about this artifical means of life when he is unable to do anything for himself but lay there dying?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:00 am
Get back to me on this in 15 years, if and only if, he has also been declared to be in a permanent vegatative state for that same amount of time.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:14 am
Doesnt the catholic church consider a g-tube ( feeding tube) artificial means of sustaining life?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:32 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Doesnt the catholic church consider a g-tube ( feeding tube) artificial means of sustaining life?

nope. Check out my thread on this. The pope states that it is not.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:35 am
The feeding tube the Pope is to get is to supplement his nutrition. It will be given by way of a nose tube. The Pope continues to be able to eat and drink in the normal manner. There is no comparison between Shiavo's condition and that of the Pope.
0 Replies