have you seen any good exhibitions lately?

Vivien

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:34 am
have you seen any good exhibitions lately?

not just well known artists but good work in small private galleries? (links if possible)

why did you like the work? was it related to the way you work? medium/media? whatever .....

The last exhibition I went to was Caravaggio at the National Gallery in London. It was amazing, a once in a lifetime gathering of work in one place.

It isn't relevant on the whole to my own work, except for maybe his use of light - I do love things that melt off into darkness, lost edges etc.

The subject matter of Old Masters, with their religious or allegorical subjects isn't something I care for particularly - but details of the paintings were just amazing, In version of the Beheading of John the Baptist, there is a tableau of 3 figures and the head on a platter - the executioner has his back to the viewer and is turning slightly and looking over his shoulder - that figure is just amazingly beautifully painted. The others are of course, but this one is just such an interesting pose and the muscles and profile are wonderful.

link to painting

In another The Flagellation of Christ, the detail of the workman on the left of the painting with his foot on a bundle of birch twigs, pulling a rope tight around them, tension in his body, really brings home the sheer horror of the situation.

link to picture

I was tired at the end of a long day and came out before the friends I was with. The show was in a deep dark gloom to preserve the works and they were spotlit but not brightly. I sat on a bench watching through the doorway for the friends to appear and the audience were lit in fragments - the line of a cheekbone, a shoulder, the top of a head - it was like a living Caravaggio - I should have taken a sketchbook.

guardian article on the exhibition

National Gallery Caravaggio page

There was a really good film giving more information on the paintings and the last years of his life.

the links to the paintings don't show the detail that you could see when you were there sadly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,471 • Replies: 20
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:12 am
Vivien,

This my brother in law (Jack Hicks). He is head of art at Weston. He last had an exibition in 2003. I must say we don't know that much about art...but we like his pictures - what do you think?

He does sell, and has exibited before - he did us a lovely picture (painting) as a wedding present.

I'm not very good at posting links and snaps, so I hope it worked.

www.broadoak.n-somerset.sch.uk/ noticeboard/pastnewsmain.htm
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:20 pm
I had a job to find it 'cos there's a space in the address so the link just takes you to the college home page - i realised and got there in the end Very Happy

yes, they definitely look interesting. I think it is really good for the students to see his work. A nice wedding present to get for you too.

You are lucky living in such a nice part of the country.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm
The strongest work I've seen in a long time is being shown right now at Humboldt State University's First Street Gallery, April 1 - May 15.

The work is not up on their website yet, but I presume will be shortly. That's www.humboldt.edu/~first

The exhibit, Montana Legacy, shows the work of the aerial photographer Mark Abrahamson. The photos are part of his Watershed Investigations series.

His photographs of immense environmental damage are uncannily beautiful, invoking flashes of Rothko and Diebenkorn in my mind but (I am amazed to hear myself say this) more interesting to me. I would like to possess the whole show.

I'll look around on google and see if I can find some examples.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:10 pm
Here are some links of the images. My favorites aren't in there, but you can get an idea.

http://www7.nationalacademies.org/arts/Mark_Abrahamson.html
http://www.artmissoula.org/exhibits/abrahamson_mark.html
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 01:42 am
Osso these are absolutely wonderful and I can quite understand how you enjoyed them so much - I'd love to see the exhibition. Thanks for adding the links - i thought this thread had died Sad

I must look up the link to some beautiful geology based photographs that I think you'd enjoy.

&****^&( just looked for the link and it must have been one that was lost in the crash last year. It was a fantastic site with millions of close ups of rocks that were beautiful abstracts in themselves and some of wider rock formations.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:20 am
I'm going to check out the show again next week and at least get the titles of the ones I am crazed for.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 12:39 pm
our show this weekend looked pretty good too! I sold a few and so feel very content tonight - well worth all the hard work that went into it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 01:07 pm
good girl!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm
I went to one of the most beautiful Art Museums I have ever been to this weekend.Kröller Müller Museum

If you have never heard of it, it is located in the Neatherlands and inside a National Park. It supposedly has the largest collection of Van Gogh's, but I only saw a few. The sculpture garden was the most peaceful place I have been in for a long time.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 12:19 pm
Romare Beardon at The High in Atlanta.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:50 pm
I posted on the Galleries and Museums thread on my going to the museum in Albuquerque to see the exhibit, "The Soul of Spain". I had meant that thread as a spot for international gallery announcements, with room for discussion if any of us happened to see the exhibits.

But I probably should have posted here, re shows seen lately - so...

My first reaction to the exhibit was that it was a pleasure to see but that the show is a light one in comparison to the that Manet Velasquez show I ranted on about a couple of years ago on a2k. But, not at all nothing.

I liked this exhibit for the painters I hadn't seen before, and for more of Ribera, who I have not previously been enamored of, but got a wider view of......... (I liked the madonna and childs exceptionally well) as well as more Zurburans....

I also liked the museum building a lot..

Edit to say I'll go over my notes, and add photos if I can google any of the paintings. Back in a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 05:21 pm
http://www.nga.gov/collection/gallery/gg30/gg30-45891.0-biblio.html

Click on the image to enlarge this early painting of donuts(!!!) and preserved cherries by Juan van der Hamen y Leon - Still Life with Sweets and Pottery, 1627. My opinion on this one? I liked it, I liked it.

(I'll edit to add more to this post as I find more photos.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:34 am
incredible, glowing and beautifully done - thanks Osso

am going to the David Prentice private view tomorrow Very Happy
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:36 am
There will be a Frida Kahlo exhibition at the Tate modern in June I think, I may treat myself to a trip there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:06 pm
I would like now to go to a Kahlo exhibit. While an enthusiastic fan of much Mexican art, I have been for a long time cool to Kahlo, since the evenings I sat through a long documentary on her, back in the seventies, when our local movie theater had documentaries coupled with movie classics. I think I saw the documentary two or three times, and I got quite weary of hearing one more word about her - at the time.

On the Spanish exhibit in ABQ, I have been trying off and on to find links to the paintings in the exhibit - besides the donut painting - on Google, and failing. I can find bits about the painters, but not many of the exact works. Will try again later. In the meantime, I am really glad I bought the exhibit book. It was about $65.00, not small change, but it puts the works on exhibit into the context of the expanse of Spanish painting, with much of the book's first section revisiting some great works I saw in that Met show.

I left the book at my friends' house, on purpose, so I don't have it at hand to give title and publisher here, right this minute. But it is probably mailable from the museum if anyone is interested.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:12 am
I went down to the David Prentice private view yesterday and it was absolutely brilliant.

The experimental canvasses that involved mirrors and cantilevered sections were very interesting but in the end I prefer the 'straight' canvasses. In corporate spaces the idea could be very effective.

The ones I fell in love with were some roughly 3 foot square pastels - beautiful beautiful light and space and colour and sense of time passing - amazing. I wanted to take 4 home but lacked the £16,000 or so that would have needed! - by about £15,999 actually. Crying or Very sad

I went down with a friend and we met a lecturer friend of hers who is a friend of DP and the 3 of us had a long and fascinating discussion of the work with him. He talked about his methods of working, the thoughts behind them etc - a lovely insight.

There were huge watercolours of both the Malvern Hills and London, more traditional but beautifully seen and controlled in a loose way but with such underlying observation and drawing skills.

Well worth the long day and 130ish miles overall.

We went on to some private galleries in the area.

The Cotswolds (where the show is) is a beautiful hilly area of honey coloured ancient stone cottages set in lovely very English countryside and the trip down is via an ancient Roman road that travels in a straight line, not too busy as it isn't a major road these days but just cuts across country, You go through almost no villages or towns as the Romans built their towns off to the side of the road and that pattern is still there today.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:04 am
I saw a good exhibition on Toulouse-Lautrec at Washington's National Gallery of Art last month. It was very interesting.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:30 am
I love Toulouse Lautrec's work - he uses wonderful telling line with blocks of colour in a really expressive way. His people have so much character.

I went to the Toulouse Lautrec museum in Albi when I was 15 and revisited a couple of years ago and that time saw the chateau that had been his home as well. Loved it second time round too.

I haven't bothered to go down to London for the Kahlo - I watched a BBC programme on her, linked with the exhibition, it was very good, very interesting but it didn't make me feel like taking the trip. It isn't the kind of work that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:40 pm
Vivien, I too love Lautrec's figures. They have a strong shape or outline, similar to those of Degas, Goya and (in the paintings of) Damier that turns me on.
0 Replies