What can happen if there is no god?

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 04:12 am
My question is what can happen if there is no god?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 4,781 • Replies: 128

fresco

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 04:39 am
@Yasir9717,
There isn't, and everything does !
And it doesn't stop people killing each other who think there is.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:31 am
@Yasir9717,
A better question might be, “what would humanity be like if nobody believed in God”
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 06:11 am
@Yasir9717,
Quote:

By Jupiter, given a cerulean sky sire, creator of suchly and muchly and divine eternality, then nothing could happen otherwise.

Hosanna.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:01 am
@Yasir9717,
Yasir9717 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if you completely dissipate or atomize into freely bondless individual protons, neutrons, and electrons. Wait?

You're still around? I guess nothing happens when there is no god or ever was in the first place. Go figure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:15 am
It's already happening.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 02:26 pm
Joseph Campbell on the need for a new myth in our society. What happens without a myth.

Seeing mythology as poetry and not prose.
chai2

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:15 pm
@coluber2001,
Absolutely coluber.

Campbell says in the video that things have changed in the last 50 years. Considering this video is about 50 years old, we’’ve gone well beyond that. It makes no more sense today holding onto biblical myths than in holding onto believing in Zeus.

What would our children gain from this? Well, critical thinking skills for one. Being able to view reality for another. Not having to live with the threat of eternal punishment for not following contradictory instructions and examples, and using instead ethics and our (in most people) internal sense of fairness and community.

We don’t have the need for myths anymore.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 03:26 pm
(NB. Having now looked at other posts of the questioner, I suggest this could be an inappropriate gig for us atheists.)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 05:37 pm
@Yasir9717,
Same things that happen with god/God/G_d.
If humans are supposed to have free will, then they more or less would do what they do.
0 Replies

Yasir9717

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
How this is already happening?
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:45 pm
@Yasir9717,
Bible sales and holy paraphernalia sales would plummet.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 08:48 pm
@Yasir9717,
What can happen already is happening. You figure it out.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2018 10:57 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Bible sales and holy paraphernalia sales would plummet.

O ye of little faith, the theomorphic imperative would see renewed interest in the sale of various bits of wood/vessels by the hoi anthropolloi.

It would be a time of rejoicing in the market place.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 10:29 am
@Yasir9717,
Yasir9717 wrote:

Since the 'knowing' of God , or of his existence, is pretty much out of the question for mankind (we have to take it on faith), it's pretty much a Schrodinger's cat situation: if I open the 'God' box, there may be a God or there may not be, but there is no way of knowing which beforehand.

So the question is pointless. What can happen if there is no God is the same as can happen if there is a God, apart from that this God could make his presence 'known' to us.

0 Replies

sunnyN

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 10:44 am
@Yasir9717,
Your question is only Valid IF there is a god in the first place.

0 Replies

sunnyN

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:16 am
LOL, I never expected this on a forum. Do mods allow such reply's?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:18 am
@sunnyN,
sunnyN wrote:

LOL, I never expected this on a forum. Do mods allow such reply's?

No. They don't. That post was just reported.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:51 am
What can happen if there is no God?

The question implies an image of God or a personification of God in the mind of a child. But we are all adults here, so the question needs to be revised to: What can happen if our identities are restricted to that which is within our own skins? or even: What if we act as if  dualism is true and good and evil have separate and independent existences?

Then, we identify with one side of an interdependent opposite and oppose and attempt to destroy the other side. That is the formation of ego and, in fact, that is what occurrs with the lack of relationship.
When one side of an interdependent opposite is destroyed, then so is the other.

A good example of lack of relationship occuring was the identity of America and capitalism in opposition to Russia and communism. The identity of America existed only in that opposition and attempts to destroy the other nearly resulted in the destruction of both during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Neither reliance on the intellect nor old-time religions with outdated, misinterpreted myths will save us. What is required is relationship, an identity with wholeness beyond duality. If you want to call that God, then fine, but don't limit the definition of God to that of a child.
0 Replies

Yasir9717

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 12:55 am
@sunnyN,
Yes,of course