What can happen if there is no god?

livinglava

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:30 pm
@Laurex,
Laurex wrote:
Its beyond blatant and obvious that God, at least in the idea we perceive, is false.

Do you understand that idea of God that you perceive is predicated on a materialist worldview that construes everything in terms of physicality and ignores spirituality, i.e. inner experience?

For you to reject God as some kind of embodied being lurking somewhere in the universe is reasonable, but when you reflect on the fact that we have conscious awareness of everything from our sensory perceptions to our thoughts and emotions to complex awareness of all sorts of patterns; doesn't that make you realize that there is more to the universe than the material stuff we can see and touch?

When you look at a brain, would you have any clue that it supports conscious awareness of complex thought patterns, memories, emotions, etc. if you didn't know that there was one inside your head where you experience your thoughts, vision, hearing, and taste, smell, and speech?

How can you assume that there aren't other configurations of matter-energy throughout the universe, including the universe as a whole, which are experiencing conscious perception of who-knows-what? Our biological apparatus is capable of complex thought, emotions, and certain sensory perceptions; but how can we even begin to imagine what other forms of conscious perception, thinking, knowing, communication, etc. are possible beyond the level of existence we are aware of?

We imagine water-based biological life between the freezing and evaporation points of water as the only possible life that can exist anywhere. What about hotter/faster energy patterns within giant nebulas and within stars, for example? Entire civilizations could be emerging, evolving, and collapsing every second in every micro-flare on the sun and we would never know it because those life forms would have absolutely no reason to think intelligent life is possible in cold water-based environments that move as slowly as ours on Earth. Even on Mars we are unable to imagine that the seemingly primitive methane-belching 'growth' inside that planet could be either in itself sophisticated or part of a long-term planetary development path that will lead to intelligent consciousness in trillions of years from now.

Until you can really grasp the immense breadth of an entire universe of possibilities, how can you make assumptions about the total nature of the universe . . . except through faith . . . which you seem to have in God's nonexistence?
0 Replies

Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:39 pm
I thought religion was becoming a load of BS, until the 9.11 attacks happened, and then the British government began bending over backwards to Islamists - basically in the name of (temporary) peace... "religion of peace"... just read the Quran people, blatantly if that does not scare you about our freedom then nothing will even slightly.
Just hind behind the idea of" live and let live" that will be our blessing.
Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:53 pm
@Laurex,
I'm speaking on an absolute neutral ground here. I was raised free-thinking, in a free thinking world based on science, tech and open mindiness - basically you can not in any way shape or form be more "open minded" than this way of thinking - aka me!
And yet you religious types mock people like me, basically ex-Christians families who "live and let live" type of people. Fine, you Christians keep living that certain dream while Muslims take over.
I live and work around Birmingham, England, I have no better experience than anyone of apparent multiculturalism. If not for PC then I'd put me real name on this profile, I have a mortgage and family to take care of.
Christians, choose your allies closely, aka the people who most respect you, the people who don't give a crap if you believe in a God or not but people who "proper" live and let live" of any (BS) beliefs.
Americans, myself for as much as I'm concerned we the UK are your 51st state by country and ultimate heritage. The British Isles are ultimately owned by Americans via WW2. The world dismissed the British Empire as evil so, Yanks... you know the score now of betraying a global empire.
livinglava

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2018 10:21 am
@Laurex,
Laurex wrote:

I'm speaking on an absolute neutral ground here. I was raised free-thinking, in a free thinking world based on science, tech and open mindiness - basically you can not in any way shape or form be more "open minded" than this way of thinking - aka me!

The kind of open-mindedness you describe is exactly what is required to study religion and theology to the point of fully understanding it in the way that faithful believers do. Once you reach that level of understanding, you won't feel any need to reject religion any more because you will understand it for what it is instead of for what it's not. From your perspective now, that seems like submission to brainwashing, but it is the same for people who don't understand science, who think that those of us who understand science-based concepts like climate change are brainwashed by science. It's just the nature of the mind that it demonizes what it doesn't understand (yet) and labeling people 'brainwashed' is one way the mind can insulate itself against fully exploring things like religion, which it is afraid of for one reason or another.

Quote:
The world dismissed the British Empire as evil so, Yanks... you know the score now of betraying a global empire.

This sounds interesting. What exactly do you mean by it?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 05:07 pm
Joseph Campbell discusses Apollo and Dionysus.

sunnyN

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 11:18 am
Its interesting to read everyone views. These are my version of truth.

Reference Plato's cave theory - So my conclusion for and against are as follows.

Everyone has its own version of truth. We only have opinions on what we can see and observe accordingly.

I am not looking for answers. These are some questions we should ask ourself.

Who is God? Who created GOD? Have you ever seen him?

Lets assume there is a GOD, then he is doing a very bad JOB. Considering all the problems that we have in todays world.

This is a fact: Ancient times were mystic and lot of superstations and beliefs. So some philosipical dude wrote that book with his version of truth.

Arguments in favour of GOD

How come everything that is around us is so beautifully designed? I am not talking about gold or money. Lets look a little deeper.

Nature.
Water
Rain
Sun
Plants/Food etc

If you think very deep it seems some one has put all the pieces of puzzle together ( plant needs rain, rain needs sea and sun) human and animals needs plants etc..but hidden the most importnt thing.

That big bang theory is load of crap to be honest. Do a big blast and it created water plants and **** load of creatures on earth. They have been feeding us lies and only feeding the version of truth they know.
livinglava

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 04:21 pm
@sunnyN,
sunnyN wrote:
Lets assume there is a GOD, then he is doing a very bad JOB. Considering all the problems that we have in todays world.

Correction: humans have been doing a bad job of honoring their heavenly father/creator and their mother nature that sustains them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 05:43 pm
@coluber2001,
mark
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 01:15 pm
@sunnyN,
Quote:

At the risk of being redundant, "GOD" is only doing a "bad JOB" if you believe his job is to make life perfect for all of his creations. This is a childlike view of God.
0 Replies