Blue baby feet , and other questions

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:32 am
In an attempt to consolidate my numerous questions, I am going to keep this thread going. Anyone is welcome to add their questions as well. I just realised I have almost 10 thread dedicated to simple baby questions.. Shocked that many isn't necessary ( sorry MOD's )

But my question today is this
bean has blue feet. I know at her age, her circulatory system is still immature, but THIS immature seems a little strange?
Not BRIGHT blue feet, but a blue tint to them like she may have been sitting on them for a while. No matter what position she is in , they remain blue. Her feet have always been a little cold no matter what.. and that isn't changing.
I have just been noticing this for a few days and am wondering if this is anything to be too worried about?
Her doc appointment is on the 30th. ( next thursday) and I will bring it up with him also..
Im wondering, is this a common thing? Are babies feet always a little blue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:55 am
Will her feet turn pink after a little rubbing? Does she show any signs of discomfort?

As for a catch-all baby thread you might well be sacrificing a variety of opinion for spurrious efficiency.

If "Blue Feet" was in your Subject Line, you'd attract A2K people with blue footed babies and information about circulation problems and general well-wishers.

The more general headline doesn't inspire new experts.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:00 am
Good point about the subject line. I didnt think about that. I was trying to do my part in helping keep the forum minimized because, as everyone knows, i have alot of small questions. ;-)
But I think I will change it.

As for her feet, no , she shows no signs of discomfort. She walks fine.. ( yes, she is walking!! ) and when I rub her feet they do blanch. The discoloration isnt anywhere else on her legs/torso.. just her little feet. And it seems to have stayed the same for several days now. Actually.. about a week. That is the reason she has a doctors appointment, that and it is time for her 1 yr shots.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
From what you've said, I see no harm in waiting for a week. With your trained eye you'd recognize any change that would require an emergency visit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:17 pm
Here is what I found on a Children’s Hospital website - http://xpedio02.childrenshc.org/stellent/groups/public/@xcp/@web/@drplaintalk/documents/policyreferenceprocedure/web020491.asp#P49_7487

Feet are blue
It is normal for infants to have blue feet, hands, and a circle around their mouth. This is due to the immature blood vessels which infants have. It goes away as they get older. It has nothing to do with being cold or any serious disease. As long as the infant is otherwise well, the rest of the body remains pink and your caregiver tells you everything is okay, you don't have to worry.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:20 pm
>whew<

I checked all I knew how-
i felt her pulse in her calves,
made sure her skin blanched,
even gave her a little pinch to make sure she could still feel things and everything checked out.
I was still worried though? ( worry is nowmy best friend)
thanks for the link.
I am going to go explore it now.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:32 pm
To calm your nerves, you could always call your doctor's office to just make sure. I have done this myself several times. My doctor's office is usually quite understanding especially for infants and young children. It can be very difficult as they are too young to let you know if something is bothering them and exactly how and what is bothering them.
0 Replies