Human Shields

au1929

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 04:46 pm
Babes in Saddamland
Human shields, a German beauty queen and Gustavo the search-and-rescue dog have all converged on Iraq. For peace activists worldwide, all roads now lead to Baghdad

By Melinda Liu
NEWSWEEK WEB EXCLUSIVE

Feb. 28 ;  Looking out from the top of a red double-decker bus careening through Baghdad, American antiwar activist Ken O;Keefe sees the whole world as on his side. ;How can The New York Times say Iraqis are hoping for war; asks the California-born veteran of the Persian Gulf War, busily videotaping himself with a minicam, ;How do you explain all those Iraqis waving and clapping out there?;
ON THE STREET, local Iraqis seemed at first startled, then bemused, at the bizarre convoy snaking through their suburbs. Led by buses festooned with peace slogans, Beatles pictures and a panoply of mostly European antiwar activists, the convoy was headed to a power station, where some ;human shields; would hunker down to try to thwart possible U.S. bombing. As someone strummed a guitar, a long-haired Turkish hippie, dressed in a patchwork jacket embroidered with tiny mirrors, flashed peace signs out the front window of the bus in between tokes on a marijuana cigarette.
        More than 200 international human shields, including at least a handful of Americans, have arrived in Baghdad to protest against a U.S.-led war. Many traveled some 3,000 miles on the two double-decker buses through continental Europe, Turkey and Syria. They say they;ll attach themselves to power facilities, water treatment plants, bridges, hospitals and other installations crucial to civilian life. O;Keefe, the founder of www.humanshields.org, last set foot in Iraq as part of a U.S. Marine unit charged with securing a major highway between Kuwait and Iraq during the gulf war. Now O;Keefe, who has a teardrop tattooed under his left eye;to represent the suffering in the world;lives in Hawaii rescuing marine turtles. ;I don;t let fear dictate my life; he says, ;I;m more fearful riding a big wave in Hawaii than I was in combat;
As far as I am concerned if these people want to put themselves in harms way it is their choice. IMO if military action is occurs no special precautions should be taken because of there presence. What is your opinion?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/878871.asp?0cv=KB20
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,636 • Replies: 51
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 05:15 pm
I do not think "human shield" is a good idea. It is a kin concept of taking hostages.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:16 pm
Quote:
As far as I am concerned if these people want to put themselves in harms way it is their choice. IMO if military action is occurs no special precautions should be taken because of there presence. What is your opinion?

I agree.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:20 pm
Different people choose different forms of suicide. I believe in freedom of choice.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:24 pm
This is very noble that the "human shields" believe so much in their cause that they are willing to pay the ulitimate sacrifice for their beliefs.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:16 pm
If the U.S. would not hesitate to kill the millions of Iraqis who live where they will drop their bombs, why would you expect them to hesitate to kill people who knowingly put themselves in Death's way?

As Death said to the Old Woman, if you want to dance with me, you need only ask. You're too old to flirt and I'm too desperate to say No.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:54 am
The question does not depend on the view of the United States. The issue is whether individuals who put themselves in harm's way should receive
Quote:
special precautions
? I agree with Roger; it is their choice.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:53 am
If someone is idiotic enough to put themselves in a war zone, in front of troops, I think that they will get what they deserve. Human shields are NOT the same as hostages. Hostages are coerced. Human shields are putting themselves in harm's way with their own free will.

I just hope that they understand the folly of their actions BEFORE things get hot in Baghdad, and get the hell out of there!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:37 am
I wonder if those people actually believe they will have an impact or want to be martyrs. Someone should remind them that the 72 virgins are reserved for Islamic adherents only. Well maybe they will be alloted one old Wh--re Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:02 am
Very Happy au- Thanks for the laugh!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:07 am
really not unlike the Buddhist monks in Viet Nam setting themselves afire.
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:19 am
Actually, I think it is completely unlike the monks protesting the Vietnam War. When one douses himself with gasoline and strikes a match, one is very certain that his protest will end in his death. These silly human shield people are under the naive impression that their physical presence will keep them and the country of Iraq safe. Noble in its intent, perhaps, but hardly the sacrifice that some may perceive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:27 am
remains to be seen
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 12:03 pm
How so, dyslexia?

If the human shield people succeed and the attacks don't come, then clearly the extent of their sacrifice can't be perceived in the same light as self-immolation.

If they don't succeed and the attacks come, then the purpose of their actions will not have been achieved. And again, the same cannot be said of the monks.

I just don't see the comparison.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 12:05 pm
its beyond my ken to know the hearts of those human shields
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 12:08 pm
On that we can agree.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 12:39 pm
I happen to have met -I really don't know them- two "human shields" who are already in Baghdad.

One is the sister of a student leader in the '68 revolt. Unlike her brother, she never amounted to anything in her life, and, as I see things, is now seeking her 15 minutes of fame.

The other is a 29 year-old phylosophy student, who is quite known to be high all the time. There are a couple of jokes among his friends. One is that his parents him damned him with a name nobody can pronounce (Tlozxa) and he's been getting even ever since. The other, that he is the reincarnation of a hippie who died of an overdose.

Their friends say that they both think -naively, IMHO- that their presence will help deterr war, and that their improbable death would trigger a big anti-American feeling.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:11 pm
I'd like to offer a side question to this topic. (Good topic, by the way.) I have no agenda here other than expanding the discussion and exploring some of the issues upon which this "human shield" nonsense touches.

If a woman announced that she was going to kill herself in your town square if the US attacks Iraq, what if anything should be done about it?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:23 pm
I think the comparison between the Vietnamese monks and the latter-day human shields, while not perfect, raises some interesting questions. The monks, as I recall, were protesting the war the US was waging in their country. The photos of their bodies aflame were powerful, scary and effective in showing how strongly some Vietnamese opposed the war.

While I doubt these current shields are are as clear-minded about what they're doing, I suspect some of the same rationale is at work. There are all kinds to ways to protest a war, both now and back then, and this is about as extreme as one can get...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:54 pm
Within a U.S. community, some government group (fire, police, etc) would be delegated to discourage or outright stop the activity.
0 Replies