If WE Eat THEY Eat

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 08:16 am
Does "If WE Eat THEY Eat" mean "If we take the lead to eat (food A), then they will follow suit to eat it (otherwise, they will not eat food A and marketing food A will fail)"? Simply a guess.

Context:
If WE Eat THEY Eat - Home | Facebook

If WE Eat THEY Eat, Syracuse, New York. 185 likes. A non for profit Organization who’s Mission is to end Hunger and Homelessness in the community through..

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 08:26 am
@oristarA,
look at what they are trying to do

oristarA wrote:
to end Hunger and Homelessness in the community

the agency is

http://weriseabovethestreets.org

they are hosting a fund-raising event

https://mysouthsidestand.com/event/fundraiser-if-we-eat-they-eat-charity-event/

https://mysouthsidestand.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/WeRiseAboveFundraiser.jpg

Quote:
Hosted by We Rise Above the Streets Recovery Outreach, this fundraiser will help provide financial support necessary to run this organization’s outreach efforts. They rely on donations to provide services in the homeless community that are greatly needed. Guest Speakers at this dinner will include: Howard “Klass” Jones, Heidi Baldwin, Joshua Williams, George J. Lynch and Alamin Muhammad the founder of We Rise Above The Streets Recovery Outreach.

there will be a meal and speakers - the money people pay to attend the event will be used to pay for more food at their food bank which helps take care of homeless people in the community

People will pay money to eat at this event. Food will be purchased with that money. Other people will eat that food.

If they eat, others can.
oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 08:42 am
@ehBeth,
What I get is: If we have something to eat, they have something to eat too.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 09:22 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

What I get is: If we have something to eat, they have something to eat too.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you.

You are taking everything too literal. It's not a grammatically correct sentence and it literally was never meant to be a grammatically correct sentence. It's a nonprofit name. Consider it an idiom or a metaphor, (something to not read too much of a meaning into). How can you not see that (after so many years learning English)?

Right track? You're on the wrong continent.

If we ... [we in this context being the people who run the foundation or nonprofit]... support the cause of this charity than ...
they [they in this context being homeless individuals, families, etc... who are undernourished or underfed or just incapable of properly providing themselves food/proper meals] will get financial subsidies so they can buy food or logistical support in terms handing out actual food and food based products.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 09:35 am
@oristarA,
Closer Smile

The money we spend to eat at this event will be used to buy food for other people.
0 Replies

chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 10:30 am
@oristarA,
It’s actually irrelevant if the people buying tickets to the event actually eat the food that will be provided at the event, or in fact show up at all. Well, beyond showing support, and encouraging others to attend and/or attend. The important part is that they purchased a ticket. The proceeds of the ticket sales will go towards providing to those in need. Buying the ticket is more a less a donation to the cause.

The “if we eat they eat” is a more catchy slogan than “if you donate money we will use it to get food for those in need”

By the way, donating to food banks is a very good thing. One can also leave them money in your Will.
oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 04:32 pm
@chai2,
Thank you. Wink
0 Replies