Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:30 pm
Im 17 and i found this to be the closest section on this site that i thought could help me with this problem cause it does have to do with parenting i guess. Well...what happened was im a junior in HS and my brother is a freshman in college. He just recently got accepted into the naval academy and dont get me wrong im so happy for him and i wish him the best but its put so much pressure on me. Weve done the same in HS but now i just feel like i cant really make my parents happy with what i choose to do. I dont want to go to the naval academy, and the schools i do want to go to are in no way as good as the naval academy, and i can tell already the schools i mention to my parents dont really excite them or make them proud. My brother has just really set a high standard and im at a loss on how to make my parents happy anymore. I cant get into private schools with the same prestige and tradition of the naval academy. My dad is a marine too..just figured id throw that in cause it kinda makes sense now. But please help, how do i make them happy. I know that sounds like a really juvenile question, but please put urself in my position. And i know im gonna probably get "anything you do will make your parents happy because they love you" but i just dont believe that anything i choose to do will make them happy...so any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 876 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:37 pm
See a career counselor. Take some vocational aptitude tests. Find out what YOU want to do and what will make YOU happy, and then shop around for appropriate colleges.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:37 pm
You need to find a college that suits your needs.
It's your education, not your parents'.

Consider what programs a college offers, its size, location (rural,
suburban, urban), and reputation (as distinguished from "prestige").

Explain to your parents what you are looking for in a college and why.
Ask for their advice and listen to it, but the decision should be yours.

Good luck!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
Posted at almost the same time as Cinnesthesia,
so repeated some of her ideas.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:55 pm
My brother holds three masters degrees and was offered a fellowship at Harvard -- that he turned down!

He's a Colonel in the Army with his first review for General coming up this summer.

I'm a semi-retired photographer and stay at home proxy-mom who spent my day cleaning up dog vomit.

You want to talk impossible standards sister? I'm you're girl.

But the thing about it is, when I talk to my brother he says "you absolutely amaze me" and when I talk to my mom she says "I'm so proud of you".

In a family, well, okay, most families, it is how you live your life and what you do with your life that matters more than what grades you got and where you go to college.

Jelousy can stall your life. It can make you bitter. Don't fall into that trap. Even if your parents start in with the "well Brother blahblahblah" you must follow your own path.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
I was born at a time when flag officers could enter their godsons in the Naval Academy at birth (the bad old days!). When I was old enough to comprehend that my godfather, an admiral, had done this for me, I was unhappy. First, although my family was filled with naval officers, I had no interest in being one. And, I felt that this privileged, expedited entry to the Academy (long ago discontinued) was all wrong. When I reached my mid-teens, and my godfather started talking Annapolis, I told him that I was very grateful (a lie, but a reasonable one) for what he had done for me at the Naval Academy, but that, truthfully, the Navy could do a hell of a lot better than me and that, even if I were able to go, I thought someone else should be in my place. Uncle Frank thanked me for my honesty--and the subject never came up again, with him or with my parents. And we all continued to get along really well.

The point of this story is that, more often than we might believe, our parents have much more reasonable expectations for us than we think. Therefore, don't hang back from telling your parents what YOU really want to do. They may very well support you all the way, because they want you to be happy and to learn something you can fully use.

Also, please don't become hung up on measuring colleges against one another by "brand name." If your interests take you to an obscure college, and this college has what you really need, it's the right college for you. On the other hand, don't sell yourself short, because you might feel that you are standing in the shadow of a high-achieving brother; go for the strongest college that offers what you want, because academically strong schools tend to offer good courses in all areas--and you might change your mind about a major. I did--five times! And I was grateful to be in a college where this was possible.

So, please figure out what YOU want. Talk with your parents about it. Then, aim high. Good luck to you!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:34 am
Agree with everyone here, so far. Make your decision about college based on what you want. Your success will make your parents more happy than any choice of school will. More than likely, they are simply excited for your brother right now and aren't paying full attention to your college quest, so don't take their underwhelming reactions as a judgment on your choices.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
Your parents are understandably proud of your brother.

That does not necessarily mean they want you to be his clone.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:49 pm
Did I understand correctly that your brother is a college freshman who was accepted into the Naval Academy? Was this his first or second application?

One of the things that high school guidance staff have been trained to do is talk to parents with unrealistic expectations about their children's college choices.

Do your parents play favorites as a general rule?
0 Replies