Does Bush Really Care about National Security?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:22 pm
Newsmax? Tico, that's the worst out of all of em (now that Talon News is gone)!!!!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:26 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Newsmax? Tico, that's the worst out of all of em (now that Talon News is gone)!!!!

Cycloptichorn

Isn't it you that keeps posting from dailykos?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:30 pm
It sure is.

DailyKos is a left-wing opinion weblog. Neither I nor they have ever claimed to be anything else. Newsmax purports itself as, now hold on to something, real news.

Therin lies the big difference.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:32 pm
It is real news. You just don't agree with it. Hardly counts as making the news somehow less real.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:42 pm
Newsmax also has what is often referred to as "pundits."

Quote:

You don't like their pundits, you should feel free to ignore them.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
Thanks, I do!

Well, I don't exactly ignore them so much as ridicule them, but it amounts to the same thing in the end.

Them, and the ad for the 'George Bush and Ronald Reagan Pillow' that is on their site right now. I'm tempted to order one, but I won't tell you what for...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Thanks, I do!

Well, I don't exactly ignore them so much as ridicule them, but it amounts to the same thing in the end.

Them, and the ad for the 'George Bush and Ronald Reagan Pillow' that is on their site right now. I'm tempted to order one, but I won't tell you what for...

Cycloptichorn

Perhaps that "George Bush and Ronald Reagon Pillow" will suit Republican neocons well, as they get their butts kicked as a result of this whole Terri Shiavo fiasco...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:05 pm
Now, what was it I was saying about Newsmax?

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/index.php?p=213

Quote:
3/24/2005
Report that group which filed DeLay ethics charge received Soros money falseA Newsmax charge which suggests that a Washington-based ethics watchdog group took money from George Soros is bogus, RAW STORY has discovered.

The report, which in its most direct form may have been intended to note that the get-out-the-vote group Americans Coming Together received Soros money, suggested that the watchdog group Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington received $7.5 million from Soros.

Upon request, RAW STORY received a copy of CREW's nonprofit disclosure report for fiscal year 2004, which reveals that the group had a budget well under $500,000.

The filing lists no donations from any Soros-related group.

"We're not getting a dime from Soros," said CREW spokesperson Naomi Seligman. "They said they obtained the information from IRS records. They lied. We're not getting any money from Soros-related organizations. Zero."

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX) criticized Soros earlier this week.

"The point is, the other side has figured out how to win and defeat the conservative movement," DeLay said. "And that is to go after people, personally charge them with frivolous charges, and link that up with all these do-gooder organizations funded by George Soros, and then, and then get the national media on their side. That whole syndicate that they have going on right now is for one purpose and one purpose only and that's to destroy the conservative movement."

Seligman say the attempt to link DeLay's ethics charges to a political plot organized by a liberal "syndicate" is evidence that DeLay and his supporters are flailing.

"It looks desperate on their part," she told RAW STORY.

Soros and his

organizations have given tens of millions to progressive groups. His net worth is estimated to be in the realm of billions of dollars.

CREW wrote the ethics complaint filed by former Rep. Chris Bell (D-TX), which accused DeLay of various transgressions, including abuse of power and money laundering.

DeLay was admonished for the charges by his Republican colleagues on the ethics committee. Earlier this year, he removed the Republican members who had voted against him from the committee.

The Newsmax report is correct in asserting that Mark Penn and Daniel Berger, who have worked with Democrats, serve on the organization's board.

Oh, that's right. They completely make stories up and present them as real news. How could I have forgotten?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:53 pm
and once again delay shows what a freakin' weasely little creep of a hypocrite he is.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:15 pm
Cyclops, quoting [i]Rawstory[/i] wrote:
The report, which in its most direct form may have been intended to note that the get-out-the-vote group Americans Coming Together received Soros money, suggested that the watchdog group Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington received $7.5 million from Soros.

The renowned "Rawstory" (who?) takes issue with paragraph placement, and tries to create a story based upon a perceived implication. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Update: After attention from Raw Story and other sites, Newsmax has edited their story to separate the paragraphs so that the article no longer implies Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility received $7.5 million. The following article refers to an earlier version in which the framing of Newsmax's report suggested Soros had given money to the watchdog group.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/index.php?p=213

And that's as close to a mea culpa as we're going to get from Rawstory ....

Here's what NewMax's story reads, vis a vis CREW ...

Quote:
Among the liberal and Democrat lynch mobs focusing on unproven ethics violations by DeLay, all of which he has been able to explain adequately:

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a group that last year assisted former Rep. Chris Bell, D-Texas, in drafting an ethics complaint against DeLay that resulted in a mild slap on the wrist for the GOP leader. At last week's press conference, Melanie Sloan, CREW's executive director, said that DeLay should step down as majority leader.

Not surprisingly, from 1995 to 1998 Sloan served as Democrat minority counsel for the House Judiciary Committee under Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich. Before that, Sloan served as the nominations counsel on the Senate Judiciary Committee under Delaware Democrat Sen. Joe Biden.

According to The Hill, GOP research also revealed that Mark Penn, a formed pollster for President Clinton, and Daniel Berger, a major Democratic donor, serve on CREW's board. Spokeswoman Naomi Seligman refused to reveal the membership of CREW's board, although she admitted that Penn and Berger are members.

Last year, Berger made a $100,000 contribution to America Coming Together (ACT), a 527 group that was dedicated to defeating George W.Bush in the presidential election, according to politicalmoneyline.com, a Web site that tracks fund-raising. According to records released by the Internal Revenue Service on Monday, March 21, 2005, and obtained by NewsMax.com, Soros Fund Management/George Soros gave the group a whopping $7.5 million in the 2004 election cycle.

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/032305/soros.html

Putting aside "paragraph placement," what words were used by NewsMax to charge CREW with taking money from Soros?

The only thing funnier than this tripe is your repeating it as if it is a scathing condemnation of NewsMax. Laughing
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
Newsmax. The bottom dwelling scum of journalism. The tripe of choice for neoconservatives desperate to spin their way out of a bottomless pit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
As low as you believe it to be, it's miles above common dreams.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:47 pm
Yeah, right.

Interstingly enough, Tico, Newsmax changed the story. Why would they do that?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yeah, right.

Interstingly enough, Tico, Newsmax changed the story. Why would they do that?

Cycloptichorn

I've no doubt it was because of the reading comprehension problems of the certain critics, such as those Rawstory folks ...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:04 am
Oh, so Newsmax has a habit of changing stories when left-leaning sites complain about them, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the story in the first place?

Pull the other one!!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies