College Major-Biology, Biochemistry, Environmental Science

Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:42 pm
I'm a senior and it's college application season. I have to submit stuff soon but I'm very undecided about what I want to major in. Like I'm interested in science for sure but I'm not sure whether I want to do biology, biochemistry, or environmental science. I'm thinking of environmental science more as a minor though. But I guess what I want to do is work in biotechnology in the future or like in lab settings doing research on diseases etc. I'm just not sure what major would be appropriate for that kind of work? It doesn't have to be these three either because it also seemed like molecular biology was interesting. I would just like some advice. Thank you in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

Sturgis

Tue 2 Oct, 2018 11:57 pm
@bluejay1,
Find a school with a wide selection of courses in the sciences. Once you are there, you may find yourself gravitating in a particular direction, one which takes a special place in your heart and mind.

Remember, you can always change direction later on.
farmerman

Wed 3 Oct, 2018 04:15 pm
@Sturgis,
if youre looking at a good school, you will be challenged. SInce you appear to hve a wide breadth of interests, that presumes your interests have already spurred you on to do study on your own. Thats excellent. Youll find soon that what youve trained for in undergrad , wont be your ultimate love.
I know two folks who , having been trained as paleontologists, are now deans of great med schools. WHY?? the training thy undertook i undergrd and grad school gaVE THEM a wide breadth of know how nd interests in anatomical ways and connectivities.

(Im retired college faculty in the earth sciences and chemistry and I always looked for those kids with widest interests and creativity )
Tell me you play a musical instrument or are a good writer or sculptor and Ill bet , when you do your essay, itll show through, hope you made good grades
0 Replies