The T-Shirt Police

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
Thought we could use a break from all this Schiavo nonsense, to look at a little bit of Republican-style 'Democracy.'

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/21/125132/213

Quote:

BUSH's PUBLIC FORUM: Young American Kicked Out For Wearing Wrong T-Shirt
by Mister T in AZ
[Subscribe]

Mon Mar 21st, 2005 at 09:51:32 PST

Just got a call from some Arizona Young Democrats who are at the Tucson Bush Social Security "Forum" today. Turns out one of their crowd, Steven Gerner a 19 year old Sophomore at the University of Arizona, wasn't allowed into the taxpayer funded event.
His crime? WEARING A COLLEGE DEMOCRATS T-SHIRT.

Update [2005-3-21 12:55:54 by Mister T in AZ]: Found a picture of Steven wearing the EXACT t-shirt he got kicked out for, I've added it as you can see.

http://ydaz.org/images/62.jpg

Now let me be clear. Steven wasn't wearing some anti-bush, anti-war, anti-Christian, anti-ANYTHING t-shirt. Instead his shirt simply said "College Dems Student Corp" on it.

Below is an outline of what I have gathered from my conversation with Steven and a few other people who were standing near him:

Steven got a ticket from Congressman Grijalva's office, he gave his full name when he received it and followed the proper procedure.

When I asked him why he wanted to go to the event, Steven said he really wanted to get a chance to hear the Bush side of the Social Security debate. Plus, he had never seen a President speak and even if he is a dedicated Democrat - was excited to see the leader of his country speak.

Steven and a handful of other Young Democrats arrived early to ensure that they could get in. Afraid that anything might get them kicked out, everyone decided to wait quietly in line. Nobody wanted to disrupt the event - they just wanted to go and see the President.

About 20 minutes before doors opened for the event, a staff person came and noticed the t-shirt.

This staffer asked to see Steven's ticket, asked for a better look of his t-shirt, and then grabbed the ticket and crumpled it up in his hand.

Twenty minutes later the staffer came back and said that Steven's name had been "recorded" and that no matter what he tried he would be denied access to the event.

People around Steven were really shocked initially, mainly because he wasn't creating any sort of a disturbance and the "altercation" from their perspective seemed to have come from nowhere.

After being told he would be denied entry, Steven wasn't about to give up. He attempted to contact security, nothing came of it. Then he contacted another staffer, nothing came of it.

When Steven realized there was no way he was getting in, he left his friends and walked directly to the nearest reporter. Several have interviewed him already.

I think this is absolutely disgusting. The YDs are putting together a press release now on these events to help spread the story to local media ... do you have any suggestions with where we should go with it?

How is it possible that we, the American people, can be denied entrance to see our own president when he comes to town, based upon clothing?

This certainly doesn't seem to be what we would typically term 'Democracy in Action.'

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,465 • Replies: 24
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 02:22 pm
Huh.

If I was going to see the President of the US speak, I do not believe I would do so wearing a t-shirt.

But, regarding this, we now have exactly one-side of the story. If you wish to base your judgement on that you are welcome to, but you may be wise to research the other side.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Huh.

If I was going to see the President of the US speak, I do not believe I would do so wearing a t-shirt.

But, regarding this, we now have exactly one-side of the story. If you wish to base your judgement on that you are welcome to, but you may be wise to research the other side.

That's pretty funny. What could the "other" side say about this?

And besides, these Bush forums are notorious for showing us a completely staged event, right down to the questions, in which ANY and ALL signs of dissent or objective questioning/reasoning is thrown out the window.

So, this is nothing new. One-sided? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 04:34 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Huh.

That's pretty funny. What could the "other" side say about this?

And besides, these Bush forums are notorious for showing us a completely staged event, right down to the questions, in which ANY and ALL signs of dissent or objective questioning/reasoning is thrown out the window.

So, this is nothing new. One-sided? Rolling Eyes

Do you have any proof that the events have had staged questions? So let me get this straight you mind if and I do say if the questions were staged then you were ok with the setup Rumsfield received while in Iraq? Those were supposed to be questions from the crowd and a reporter setup the questions and even interjected a question of his own. Is that ok for an open forum?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 04:48 pm
Oh, my, Baldimo, what planet have you been living on lately?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28120-2005Mar11.html

Your idiot of a leader has NEVER been able to deal with dissent, because he is just too stupid to intelligently address conflicting viewpoints from those who DON'T agree with him, which now roughly represents 70% of the country.

And honestly, unless you've been living in a hole and haven't watched ANY of these townhall meetings, the obvious becomes actually quite surreal in the case of Bush's townhall "sideshows."
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:03 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Oh, my, Baldimo, what planet have you been living on lately?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28120-2005Mar11.html

Your idiot of a leader has NEVER been able to deal with dissent, because he is just too stupid to intelligently address conflicting viewpoints from those who DON'T agree with him, which now roughly represents 70% of the country.

And honestly, unless you've been living in a hole and haven't watched ANY of these townhall meetings, the obvious becomes actually quite surreal in the case of Bush's townhall "sideshows."

Here is a quote from one of your "structured" people.

Quote:
"It was just a matter of learning," she said. "We just really talked about what was going on, what the president was proposing and what did we think about it. . . . They didn't prompt me what to say or how to say it."

Does this sound like it was staged to you? Has any president ever let someone get up on stage that hasn't practiced? Would you want someone speaking on stage that isn't going to be able to get the job done and that is going to fall all over themselves?

Get real and learn how the real world works, nothing is ever unscripted when it comes to politics. I'm not saying I like it, but the president does have an agenda he wants passed. You want him to shoot himself in the foot. It like a company coming out with a product saying it isn't the best but buy it anyways.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:08 pm
While I don't doubt that these events are, to some extent at least, staged, it doesn't really matter. Everyone knows these aren't really open forums, and the fact that the Bush SSI plan is gaining no support indicates that he needs a new strategy.

But what will it be?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:16 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
While I don't doubt that these events are, to some extent at least, staged, it doesn't really matter. Everyone knows these aren't really open forums, and the fact that the Bush SSI plan is gaining no support indicates that he needs a new strategy.

But what will it be?

I have no idea what it will be, but I do think it is funny that people like Dook think this is a new thing that is going on, that Bush is the first person to ever do this. It is laughable to think he thinks this way. It shows that he has never been in politics before the Bush admin. No wonder he thinks Bush is so evil.

Dook do you think Clinton had true open forums when he was going around the country pushing Welfare Reform? I'm willing to bet the answer is no.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
Baldimo wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

But what will it be?

I have no idea what it will be, but I do think it is funny that people like Dook think this is a new thing that is going on, that Bush is the first person to ever do this. It is laughable to think he thinks this way. It shows that he has never been in politics before the Bush admin. No wonder he thinks Bush is so evil.

Dook do you think Clinton had true open forums when he was going around the country pushing Welfare Reform? I'm willing to bet the answer is no.

I find it even funnier that you assume that I think this is a new "thing" going on. In Bush's case, it has to be so tightly controlled, that ANYONE with ANY objective opinion or criticism gets dragged away immediately. Even someone who is mearly wearing a t-shirt, or who may be a Democrat who only wishes to attend and hear Bush out. Did it EVER occur to you neocons (or Bush) that there are actually individuals on the other side who are willing to hear Bush out? Based on Bush's actions in these townhall gatherings, it would appear not.

Clinton actually TALKED with the hecklers, and communicated MUCH more intelligently than Bush could have ever hoped for. The Bush administration has only refined this to a whole new level, along with his record setting fake news broadcasts, the payola to journalists both fake and real, and the talkshow fascist pigs who can only rant and rave in abject anger.

So very sad indeed...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:56 pm
That we even debate this is a terrible sign of the times.

I would like just one instance of anyone being turned away at a Clinton talk thing for wearing or otherwise showing a republican leaning.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:57 pm
Your never going to find it, the press loved Clinton and would never print or air a story of him doing something like that. Remember 75% or more of the press voted for Clinton.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
Quote:
Remember 75% or more of the press voted for Clinton.

Nice made-up statistic there. Perhaps the press liked Clinton a little better becuase he didn't start useless, pointless wars against the world's objections?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:40 am
Really now. How dare this young man show such lack of respect by failing to dress with proper dignity and decorum.

How in the world would he ever think such behavior was acceptable?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20050129/450cheney29.jpg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
The press loved Clinton? How short some people's memories must be! Sure, some journalists must have, but the venom from others was incredible...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Remember 75% or more of the press voted for Clinton.

Nice made-up statistic there. Perhaps the press liked Clinton a little better becuase he didn't start useless, pointless wars against the world's objections?

Cycloptichorn

Click: How the Media votes.

I know this data is a little old, but it is still telling.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
More on this ridiculous topic:

AP story

Quote:
Mar 29, 10:33 AM EST

Secret Service investigating removal of three from Bush visit

By P. SOLOMON BANDA
Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- The Secret Service says it is investigating the claims of three people who claim they were removed from President Bush's town hall meeting on Social Security last week after being singled out because of a bumper sticker on their car.

The three said they had obtained tickets through the office of Rep. Bob Beauprez, R-Colo., had passed through security and were preparing to take their seats when they were approached by what they thought was a Secret Service agent who asked them to leave.

One woman, Karen Bauer, 38, a marketing coordinator from Denver, said Monday the agent put his hand on her elbow and steered her away from her seat and toward an exit.

"The Secret Service had nothing to do with that," said Lon Garner, special agent in charge of the Secret Service office in Denver. "We are very sensitive to the First Amendment and general assembly rights as protected by the Constitution."

The three who were removed, along with their attorney, Dan Recht, met with Garner on Monday. Recht said he may file a lawsuit based on the group's alleged violation of their First Amendment rights.

Garner said the group appeared confused as to who asked them to leave and declined to release further details, citing an ongoing investigation.

Alex Young, 25, an Internet technology worker from Denver who was among the three removed from the event March 17 at Wings over the Rockies, said officials told them the next day they were identified as belonging to the "No Blood for Oil" group.

Young said they belong to no such group, but the car they drove to the event had a bumper sticker that read: "No More Blood for Oil."

"I don't think a bumper sticker on a friend's car should disqualify me from seeing the president," Young said.

Beauprez distributed tickets to the event, which was part of President Bush's effort to gain support for his plan to overhaul Social Security. Messages left after-hours at Beauprez's office were not immediately returned Monday. A call to Bush's advance team in Denver went unanswered.

Lawrence Pacheco, a spokesman for Rep. Mark Udall, D-Colo., said the congressman has asked the Secret Service about the group's allegations.

Young, like Bauer and lawyer Leslie Weise, 39, is a member of the Denver Progressives, a political activist group. He said the three had T-shirts underneath their business attire that read, "Stop the Lies" and they had talked about exposing them during Bush's visit. He said they had scrapped the plan by the time they arrived at the museum.

Recht said the T-shirts did not play a role in the group's removal.

"They hadn't done anything wrong. They weren't dressed inappropriately, they didn't say anything inappropriate," Recht said. "They were kicked out of this venue and not allowed to hear what the president had to say based solely on this political bumper sticker.

"The very essence of the First Amendment is that you can't be punished for the speech you make, the statements you make," Recht said.

President Bush has visited at least 17 states to gain support for his plan to change Social Security, meeting with people who are generally supportive.

Some people who have stood up to disrupt Bush while he was talking have been removed. But a group called Americans United to Protect Social Security said there have been at least two instances where people have been removed or barred from a Bush event beforehand.

In February, a "black list" of people banned from getting tickets was obtained and published by the Forum newspaper. The White House and the Republican Party denied such a list existed and Gov. John Hoeven's staff said no one was denied tickets.

Brad Woodhouse, a spokesman for Americans United, called the Denver example the most egregious violation.

"They're screening the people who are allowed to come and then they're profiling them in the parking lot," he said. "It's quite extraordinary, and disappointing."

Here's the account of what happened from the people themselves. Via Kos:

Quote:
Very rarely does the everyday public get a glimpse of what happens behind the scenes in a normally-secret Bush Administration.
But Monday, March 28, the Secret Service called three everyday people into their offices to discuss why we were kicked out of a presidential event in Denver last week where Bush promoted his plan to privatize Social Security. What they revealed to us and our lawyer was fascinating.

There we were - three people who had personally picked up tickets from Republican Congressman Bob Beauprez's office and went to a presidential event. But as we entered, we were told that we had been "ID'ed" and were warned that any disruption would get us arrested.

After being seated in the audience we were forcibly removed before the President arrived, even though we had not been disruptive. We were shocked when told that this presidential event was a "private event" and were commanded to leave.

More astonishingly, when the Secret Service was contacted the next day they agreed to meet with us this Monday, March 28 to discuss the circumstances surrounding our removal. We had two big questions going into this meeting:

How is the Bush Administration "ID'ing" citizens before presidential events?

Why was an official taxpayer-funded event called a "private event" - leading to citizens being kicked out?

Most shocking of all, we got answers to both questions.

The Secret Service revealed that we were "ID'ed" when local Republican staffers saw a bumper sticker on the car we drove which said "No More Blood For Oil." Evidently, the free speech expressed on one bumper sticker is cause enough to eject three citizens from a presidential event. (Similarly, someone was ejected from Bush's Social Security privatization event in Arizona the same day simply for wearing a Democratic t-shirt.)

The Secret Service also revealed that ticket distribution and staffing of the Social Security event was run by the local Republican Party. They wanted us to be clear that it was a Republican staffer - not the Secret Service - who kicked us out of the presidential event. But this revealed something else that should be startling to all Americans.

After allowing taxpayers to finance his privatization events (let's call them what they really are after all,) and after using the White House communications apparatus to set them up, Bush is privatizing the ticket distribution and security staffing at his events to the Republican Party. The losers are not just taxpayers, but anyone who values the First Amendment. Under the banner of a "private event" the Republican Party is excluding citizens from seeing their president because of the lone sin of expressing the wrong idea on a bumper sticker or t-shirt. The question for Americans is - will we allow our freedom to be privatized?

Karen Bauer, Leslie Weise. Alexander Young
Denver residents

This seems to be directly opposed to the idea of freedom. Now only those who are approved by the Republican party are allowed to see the President? This smacks of everyone's favorite F-word...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:44 pm
Fantasy?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
Unfortunately, this isn't a fantasy.

A question for Conservatives/Republicans: how can an event be funded by taxpayer dollars and legally limit which taxpayers can enter based upon their political affiliation?

SHouldn't you be up in arms over this gross mis-use of public money?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:21 pm
It's questionable that it was publicly funded.

However, I do think everyone has the right to attend these events and should be allowed the stay until they become disruptive.

I do believe whomever removed those three were in the wrong.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 07:08 pm
I dunno. Everyone who knows me knows that I am anything but a Bush supporter. Nor am I, or have ever been, a Republican. However...

(1) Why would anybody wear a Dem T-shirt to a GOP-sponsored function for any reason except to invite a confrontation? This kid's actions were every bit as staged as the rally itself.

(2) The security people at these events (Secret Service, supplemented by other security forces) have a right to eject anybody they deem inappropriate for any reason, or for no good reason at all. That is their job. If they think there is the least chance of a public confrontation, out goes the potential offender.

Now, I think Bush is one of the worst disasters to have befallen this country in many, many years. But I'm getting bored with the sometimes rabid opposition finding evil intent and abrogation of civil rights in every single minor incident that occurs. I mean, there are serious things, serious failings in this administration that could be addressed. To waste time chiding the GOP for stuff that doesn't amount to a hill of beans is, I think, counterproductive. Just makes us Bush-haters look like a bunch of whining children.
0 Replies