The crime of being poor in America.

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
As an irnoic historical note, the Republicans acquiesced in the passage of the Social Security Act (1934? 1935?--i'd have to look it up) only after a promise that the trust fund would not be invested in the stock market.

I didn't know that. This is ironic indeed.

Setanta wrote:
As far as identifying the Democrats and the left, i find that rather absurd, although i would understand why someone in Europe less well-informed than you are, might see it in such terms.

You definitely have a point here. But please note that I identified the Democrats with "the left side of this debate", not with "the left". I see nothing wrong with that. "Left" and "right" indicate relative positions in this context, so aren't comparable to black and white, which are absolutes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:12 pm
Point taken.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:48 am
States are now rethinking their role in Medicaid:

Quote:
States Propose Sweeping Changes to Trim Medicaid by Billions

By ROBERT PEAR
Published: May 9, 2005

WASHINGTON, May 8 - Governors and state legislators have devised proposals for sweeping changes in Medicaid to curb its rapid growth and save billions of dollars.

Under the proposals, some beneficiaries would have to pay more for care, and states would have more latitude to limit the scope of services.

The proposals, drafted by separate working groups of governors and state legislators, provide guidance to Congress, which 10 days ago endorsed a budget blueprint that would cut projected Medicaid spending by $10 billion over the next five years.

Many of the proposals resemble ideas advanced by President Bush as part of his 2006 budget. In some cases, the governors embrace Mr. Bush's proposals but go further. At the same time, they also reject some of the president's recommendations that they believe would shift costs to the states.

John Adams Hurson, a member of the Maryland House of Delegates who is president of the National Conference of State Legislatures, said: "I am a Democrat, a liberal Democrat, but we can't sustain the current Medicaid program. It's fiscal madness. It doesn't guarantee good care, and it's a budget buster. We need to instill a greater sense of personal responsibility so people understand that this care is not free."

A coalition of beneficiary advocates, labor unions and health care providers is already gearing up to fight any significant cutbacks in Medicaid. The coalition includes AARP, Families USA, pediatricians, hospitals and nursing homes.

State officials say their goal is not just to save money, but also to avoid wholesale cuts in coverage like those in Tennessee, which is dropping more than 300,000 people from its Medicaid rolls, and in Missouri, which is dropping 90,000....

New York Times
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:02 am
Quote:
State officials say their goal is not just to save money, but also to avoid wholesale cuts in coverage like those in Tennessee, which is dropping more than 300,000 people from its Medicaid rolls, and in Missouri, which is dropping 90,000....

Dropping because these people should not be on Medicaid or because there are insufficient funds to support their coverage.
0 Replies