Are employers required to pay mileage/travel time in Canada?

pootie

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 06:55 am
Hello there, hoping someone can help me. My husband works for a company related to contracting and carpentry that is about 5 mins. from our home. Lately, they have been sending him to another city approx. 45 min drive away to work on a project. They do not supply a company vehicle so he is forced to take his. When he asked about mileage one time, they reluctantly said they may end up paying only one way. I think this is a little strange as he is on the road going to and from this site almost 2 hours more than his co-workers at the main building site, has to pay his own gas, is putting wear and tear on our vehicle and is getting the same pay as everyone else. Can he refuse to go? I really think they are taking advantage of him-I know someone else refused to go and they sent him home for the week stating that there was no work at the main building close to home. I've tried looking this up on the internet with no luck. If they are allowed to treat him this way, he is going to look for another job. We live in Prince Edward Island, Canada.
thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,478 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:16 am
Since I am in Ontario, I am not familiar with the rules and regulations in P.E.I. You may want to contact your local Labour Board to ask this question. Employees are usually responsible for their own transportation to their place of employment so it may be a fine line.

It also may depend on whether this is considered transportation to the jobsite or actually Company business. You must also consider the insurance implications if a personal vehicle is used for Company business. Most Companies pay mileage when personal vehicles are used for business use.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:26 am
Oh, forgot to ask whether he gets paid from the time he gets to the jobsite, or from the time he begins the trip to it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:16 am
Intrepid's question about when he's paid is on point.
The other major consideration is whether he's paid by hour, or by contract.

That will help figure out where to look for more information about what compensation re travel would be appropriate.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
Not really related, but for federal tax purposes in the US (not necessairly Canada) this would not qualify as business use, UNLESS he reported to the local company site, traveled to the jobsite, and returned to the company facility. Without these conditions, it is a nonbusiness commute.

This might help with the theory, but is probably totally irrelevant.
0 Replies