Could my mom's early retirement plans be foiled in 5 months?

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:04 am
My mom plans to take early retirement at age 62 in just five months. With all of the talk from the Bush administration, could her plans possibly be postponed another year until she is 63?

Is it likely that they would raise the age between now and five months from now?

And if they did, what about the people who are just months away from retirement age? Would they be screwed? Or would age 63 just apply to people who are currently under a certain age, like 55 or so?

It would be a shame for her to wait her entire life to retire, and then have the age raised just a month or two before she qualifies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 523 • Replies: 1
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:35 am
I doubt if it would happen, but I'm not really into government logic. I'm kind of guessing they would raise the bar on those born after 1960, if only because my most recent SS update only publishes the full retirement age up to that date and it is always easier to change unpublished data. Anyway, those with more recent birth dates may be presumed to have longer lifespans.

Just guessing.
0 Replies