Is it child neglect to take your child to work 7 days a week?

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
I have a family member that takes her 7 yr old daughter to work with her everyday during the summer from 8am - 5 pm. On the weekends she takes this same child to her job as a security guard at a construction site until 2 or 3 am. That is right, she is making this little girl sleep in the car and urinate in porta potties all weekend. She has people who can watch her daughter over the weekend but she says no. Should I call CPS. I think that this is because she doesn't want her ex to watch her daughter on "her weekend". this just seems so selfish. I am worried because the school year is starting and mom doesn't act like she is going to quit the job. I also don't think it is safe. What if someone tries to steal something and she has this little girl there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,876 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:18 pm
@normal123,
If it's okay with her employer, it's fine with me. In general, I would say better with mom than a sitter.
contrex

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:22 pm
It might not be much fun for the little girl, and denying a kid fun is a bit cruel if not abuse, isn't it? But then some people don't have the luxury of being able to choose to use childcare or pay people to watch their kids.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:50 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If it's okay with her employer, it's fine with me. In general, I would say better with mom than a sitter.

When I was about 5 my favorite thing was to go the the beauty palor with my mother. Man, she'd be there all afternoon.

They put me to work man. I was in charge of sweeping up hair and making sure the movie magazines where all lined up nice and even. I'd sort the nail polishes by color and make sure the calendar at the front desk was turned to the correct month.
Just like Kenny Loggins said in "House at Pooh Corner", you'd be surprised at how much should to be done.

I knew more about Liz and Dick from those movie magazines than any 5 year old in town.
Avendarito

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:29 pm
@normal123,
I think sending a child to school is child abuse, as soon as they start to devlop some unique creativity they get bullied into complying with society. Send your kids to school and they turn into the same robots all the other people are.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:35 pm
@normal123,
Most children adapt to whatever the parent does. It's up to the parent to make sure the child is safe and healthy both physically and mentally. Beyond that, there's nothing wrong with taking your child to "work."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:53 am
@normal123,
I agree with others - it is not abuse. Better than being left home alone at seven. And like mentioned depending on the work, maybe the kid enjoys it.

At worst it would be neglectful, but really hard to even judge that - is the child being ignored while the mom is working? Does the child have stuff to engage him/her while the mom works?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
@chai2,
roger wrote:

If it's okay with her employer, it's fine with me.
In general, I would say better with mom than a sitter.
chai2 wrote:

When I was about 5 my favorite thing was to go the the beauty palor with my mother.
Man, she'd be there all afternoon.

They put me to work man. I was in charge of sweeping up hair and making sure the movie magazines where all lined up nice and even. I'd sort the nail polishes by color and make sure the calendar at the front desk was turned to the correct month.
Just like Kenny Loggins said in "House at Pooh Corner", you'd be surprised at how much should to be done.

I knew more about Liz and Dick from those movie magazines than any 5 year old in town.
I hope thay PAID U enuf for that work.

David
0 Replies

roseH01244

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
@normal123,
Although, for child mother is better than a babysitting time, but if you are busy send her to school or leave her , at your mother house or the reliable person..
0 Replies