A Letter to the Grandkids

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:27 am
My Dear Grandchildren:

Within a few weeks, the world is going to change drastically. A terrible war is about to be unleashed, and -- even though the events will happen far, far away from America -- it will affect your parents and Gran and me, indeed all of us in this country and around the globe. And, even though you probably won't realize it at first, the unfolding events will affect you as well.

Some years from now, you're going to be old enough to start wondering how America ever got itself into such domestic and foreign messes in 2003. So I thought I'd provide part of the answer for you while the situation is still fresh in my mind. And you will decide what to do about the situation as you find it then, as we American citizens are deciding now.

So here goes; I'll try to make this as simple-to-read as I can:

Bernard Weiner's letter to his grandchildren
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 917 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:47 am
OK, now that's depressing.

It was really well done, so I wish he would have been a little more careful about accusations. I think this part:

Quote:
Thanks to about 20 foreign governments, Bush and his closest advisers knew months in advance -- and certainly by August 6th of 2001 -- that al Qaida was going to arrive by plane, aiming at high-profile American-icon targets, but the Administration chose to do nothing. When the terrorist attacks of 9/11 did their mass-murder damage, the HardRightists felt as if they'd been presented with a precious gift: the opportunity, with a frightened population looking to them for leadership, to do whatever they wanted, as long as they used the magic words "national security" or "anti-terrorism" to justify their deeds.

...is a little disingenuous. I don't think it was handled well, to be sure, but I don't think they purposely sat back and waited for 2,000 people to die just so they could gain greater power.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:58 am
Remember, soze, Zac Moussawi and dozens others were training at flight schools here.

FBI grunts found out about it and reported to their supers, who quashed it.

And how again does 9/11 have anything to do with Saddam?

(I don't see the disingenuousness that you do, but I can appreciate your POV.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
It doesn't, and I am in strong agreement with almost all of Weiner's points. Strong enough that I was going to send it to some people (such as father in law in Texas) then re-read it through their eyes. Could the 9/11 truly have been prevented? I'm not sure, but if yes, I think it was due more to ineptitude than purposeful neglect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:13 am
This is a black period in world history. The problem is, the public - the ones with the power to set things right - hasn't a clue. Barring a major blunder by Bush the retrogression of world politics will be a total success. I don't think it is possible to predict with any accuracy how far reaching the result will be. If the Republicans in power are able to continue to consolidate their power we may never have another legal election.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:21 am
PDiddie wrote:
...Remember, soze, Zac Moussawi and dozens others were training at flight schools here...

I can imagine what coverage would receive in the liberal press refusal of the flight schools to accept Moussawi & Co. before 09/11/01. The owners would be accused in racism, and many civil rights protection organizations would call for boycotting their businesses, and no one would listen to the explanations about weird requirements of the candidates for being civil pilots (I mean that they wanted to learn only take-off and handling the aircraft in the air, without learning how to land it).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
steissd:

I have read your comment above a handful of times and taken time to carefully consider a measured response.

That is perhaps the most absurd post I have ever read on this forum.

Your imagination is in critical need of a file dump and re-boot.

I would invite you to re-post, disagreeing with Mr. Weiner's contentions (if in fact you do), but please leave your imaginings about "libruls" at the curb with the rest of the refuse.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:19 am
The engagement with Iraq will be short lived, if it even takes place.

Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:35 am
New Haven

Quote:
The engagement with Iraq will be short lived, if it even takes place.

Where do you get your intelligence from perhaps a crystal ball? No one not even this all knowing government of ours knows the difficulty level, cost or length of time the war and the occupation will require. We get that bit of information from Rumsfeld and Bush and Perle. I would suggest you contact them and give them your good news.
0 Replies