Bush says Saddam must cede power to head off war.

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 08:53 am
By FELICITY BARRINGER with DAVID E. SANGER

UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 28 ; The White House said today that the only way to prevent war in Iraq would be to disarm the country and depose Saddam Hussein.
At the same time, Russia's foreign minister threatened to veto a United Nations Security Council resolution that says Iraq has missed its last chance of avoiding war.
And there you have it. All this banter about inspections and distruction of WMD's is just a ploy and farce being fostered by the man in the White House. Nothing short of Saddams abdication or removal will satisfy Bush. And I am sure the rest of the world is well aware of the game being played by the US. And oddly enough they do not want to play. The only "friends and allies' we have are those we have been able to buy.
IMO it is not a question of if but when the hostilities will commence. I also believe the US should stop pussy footing around and if we are going to attack do so as soon as possible. S---t- or get off the pot.

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/digitalpremium5xREV.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,090 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:03 am
Hmmm - the brinkmanship is at end-game, I guess - both sides cemented in - great.

If Saddam were to resign (ha!) the demands would continue, no doubt, like a mirage, never to be reached. The decision is made - it remains but to know when.

I know what you mean, Au, in a horrible way, the war would be a bloody relief - to all but those caught in it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:36 am
Saddam is a scum-bagh -- that is for certain.

But this farce being played out by Dubya and his cronies will some day be seen as the low-point in our countries greatness.

What a sad day it was when the Supreme Court elected him our president.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:47 am
Hear, hear, to all comments.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:09 am
Games, games games. More and more expensive games. Saddam would no sooner step down than fly to the moon. The only way that we will rid the world of this monster is feet first!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
Well, there is some reason in demands of President Bush. Saddam Hussein is not trustworthy, and all the time he is at power the danger exists that the WMD programs will be renewed even if now it will be possible to disarm Iraq.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:46 am
Phoenix32890
Hopefully we will get rid of our home grown monster the American way. Through the vote.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:51 am
If it was possible to replace Saddam throught the vote, there would be no need in doing it forcefully. Unlike George W. Bush, Saddam is a dictator. He came to power through military coup (technically, the power was given to his predecessor, Ahmad Hassan al-Baqr, but Saddam successed him, when the latter became senile), and he can be removed only by means of the miliatry operation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 04:47 pm
Au meant Bush, Steissd.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
I know. I wanted to underline the differences that do not permit to list both presidents together, since one (Mr. Bush) is really a President and another is an illegitimate dictator.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 04:59 pm
steissd
There are many here that consider Bush an illegitimate president
Whose ascendency to the presidency was fraught with fraud and chicanery. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 05:06 pm
au1929- Whatever you think of the election, Bush, for better or for worse, is our President. If you don't care for him, you know what you have to do in 2004. Discussing whether you think that his presidency is legitimate or not, is a moot point, and does not serve any useful purpose.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 05:24 pm
Phoenix
I agree with you but if you look at steissd's last response you may understand mine to him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:30 pm
au1929- I see what you are driving at, but you cannot compare the two individuals. Saddam is a dictator, who when last "elected", got 100% of the vote. Gimme a break! His people are scared shitless of him, and what he could do to them. People who dare speak against him are incarcerated, tortured and who knows what else?

He lives in splendor, has 50 palaces. His people live in poverty.

You are trying to compare the two presidents, by saying that they are both illegitimate. True, Bush WAS elected under a cloud, but he is NOT a dictator!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:43 pm
pistols or swords?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:45 pm
Phoenix

Quote:
You are trying to compare the two presidents, by saying that they are both illegitimate.

No I am not trying to compare the presidents. What I said that many people in the US feel that Bush's presidency or how it came about was illegitimate. I am implying nothing more.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:29 pm
And the point is largely moot now. We have what we have and have to live and deal with it. The question is, how best to do that?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:58 pm
Dubya himself seems like an obsessed madman when it comes to the topic of Sadaam Hussein. This obsession will not stop until Hussein's head is presented to Dubya on the silver platter the Supreme Court handed over to Dubya upon his ascendancy to the presidency.

"Moot" point does not mean "mute" point. Dubya has no mandate from the American voters to serve as president. He is the only president in the history of our country who was appointed by the Judicial Branch.

Whatever the outcome of the "war fever" Dubya is swirling in now with his tongue hanging out, historians will always recite the dubious way he found himself "appointed" president. Hardly a moot point, in my opinion.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:27 pm
How many intolerable "moot" points will this idiot non-president produce? Besides calling arguments about the illigitimate pResidency "moot", the outrage over this preemptive war is being dismissed as a "moot" point also - because the attack is a foregone conclusion. Excuse me, but at least half the voters still think it was pretty significant, the way the election of 2000 went down. And forgive me, but I believe that an unprecedented worldwide protest prior to a war, and the circumstances at the United Nations make these questions a bit more than "moot".
0 Replies

muerte

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:33 pm
steissd, if we were to attack every country whose leadership is untrustworthy and whose military possessed weapons of mass destruction, exactly which countries wouldn't we be at war with? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies