Circus-Circus

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:03 pm
Do you now or have you ever (1) used steroids (2) been a communist (3) stopped beating your kids? To protect your constitutional rights you may refuse to answer by taking the 5th. Please note, for the record I am only asking these questions because I will be running for re-election this coming term and need something for my resume'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 687 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:03 pm
Yes. No. Yes, when my arms got tired.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
Fuzzy math.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
The Repubs won on "moral values;" they gotta do something to keep folk's eyes off the fact that gays are winning court cases.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:52 pm
DrewDad wrote:
The Repubs won on "moral values;" they gotta do something to keep folk's eyes off the fact that gays are winning court cases.

They are the friends of the liberal courts. They have found a group of people who agree with them, so they are ruling in their favor. It figures that the courts would over step their bounds and have one judge over turn the votes of hundreds of thousands of people. This is why Bush is looking to put people in place as judges that are going to rule according to the Constitution. What you libs can't win in votes you are going to take by force of the courts.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:22 am
Ah, the continuing tension of the checks and balances in our government.

This reminds me of the attitudes in Alabama during school desegregation.

The court system is designed to protect the rights of minorities against the tyranny of the majority.

I might add that even Rush Limbaugh didn't refuse the help of the ACLU when it benefitted him.

Gotta love the hypocracy. (Admittedly, it comes from both sides of the aisle.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:02 pm
DrewDad wrote:
....The court system is designed to protect the rights of minorities against the tyranny of the majority.

Hate to disagree (actually, not that much), but that is not the design of the court system. That may be one effect of the operation of the courts, but it is absolutely not the design of the courts. Courts should interpret the law, and apply the law .... they should not change the law. They should rule a law void when contrary to the Constitution.

Let's remember that the ACLU is not the "court." They file cases, or step in to defend, when it suits them, their view of the Constitution, or their agenda.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:26 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Let's remember that the ACLU is not the "court." They file cases, or step in to defend, when it suits them, their view of the Constitution, or their agenda.

Really? I thought the ACLU could reverse Supreme Court cases.... Rolling Eyes

(The fact that this is a slightly different subject is why it was separated from the rest of the post by several extra lines.)

Ticomaya wrote:
Courts should interpret the law, and apply the law .... they should not change the law. They should rule a law void when contrary to the Constitution.

And I thought this is exactly what the court did the other day in California; they struck down a law that limited marriage to heterosexual couples.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:40 pm
DrewDad wrote:
.... (The fact that this is a slightly different subject is why it was separated from the rest of the post by several extra lines.)

Slightly? It's not related at all. I clearly was not following your train of thought.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Courts should interpret the law, and apply the law .... they should not change the law. They should rule a law void when contrary to the Constitution.

And I thought this is exactly what the court did the other day in California; they struck down a law that limited marriage to heterosexual couples.

It is an unfortunate reality that the fact that a court -- even the US Supremen Court -- overturns a law, ruling it unconstitutional, does not mean that the law is in fact unconstitutional.

Digest this ....

Quote:
U.S. Constitution: Made in Jamaica?
Townhall.com Editors

March 18, 2005

When you want something changed in our country -- when you want a law passed or overturned -- you call Congress. Soon, however, there may be no point. Instead, calls may need to be directed to the most powerful branch of government, the law-making body known as the Supreme Court.

Earlier this month in Roper v. Simmons, the Supreme Court reached out and gave America a good old-fashioned smack-upside-the-head when it abolished capital punishment for juvenile offenders. Ruling 5 to 4, the Court declared that it is unconstitutional to sentence anyone to death for a crime he or she committed while younger than 18.

A valid decision, you say? It may well be, but the Court's reasoning for getting there was anything but.

The Court declared that the death penalty was now unconstitutional for minors due to a supposed "emerging national consensus" that the death penalty was wrong.

The last time we checked, the Supreme Court was supposed to use the Constitution as its guide. If anyone's to take notice of an "emerging national consensus," it's the legislature.

So with one decision, a narrow majority of five activist justices turned legislative and imposed their personal social preference on every American voter, state legislator, congressman, and juror.

But don't despair -- the Court didn't rely solely on their supposed national consensus to make their decision. Those five justices also looked farther afield -- literally -- and relied on foreign laws and international opinion in order to rationalize overturning more than 200 years of U.S. law and history.

Writing for the majority, Justice Anthony Kennedy declared, "Our determination finds confirmation in the stark reality that the United States is the only country in the world that continues to give official sanction to the juvenile death penalty."

This is quite contrary to what Kennedy said in a 1989 ruling when he rejected "the contention that the sentencing practices of other countries are relevant."

In that 1989 case, Stanford vs. Kentucky, Kennedy joined Justice Antonin Scalia in declaring, "We emphatically reject petitioner's suggestion that the issues in this case permit us to apply our 'own informed judgment' regarding the desirability of permitting the death penalty for crimes by 16- and 17-year-olds."

My, how things have changed. Apparently, when Justice Kennedy changes his mind, the Constitution changes with him.

Unfortunately, Kennedy's not the only justice looking outside the Constitution for justification of his own opinions.

In a 2003 speech, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg openly expressed her hope that America would discard its "Lone Ranger" attitude in interpreting our Consititution.

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor predicted that we "will find ourselves looking more frequently to the decisions of other constitutional courts."

And Justice Stephen Breyer hits the homerun for the foreign Constitution team. He's invoked the rulings of the supreme courts of Zimbabwe and India and the Privy Council of Jamaica to support his rulings.

We're big fans of free markets and free trade across a global marketplace but we'd still like our laws and our Constitution to be "made in America."

If this keeps up, we'll soon be recommending that you direct your calls to the Supreme Court instead of Congress. And letter-writing campaigns? The Privy Council of Jamaica seems as good a place as any.

- The Editors

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GuestColumns/Editors20050318.shtml
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:51 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

It is an unfortunate reality that the fact that a court -- even the US Supremen Court -- overturns a law, ruling it unconstitutional, does not mean that the law is in fact unconstitutional.

Yes, but the courts were the only ones given the authority to decide and so we must either go with their decisions or appeal to the highest court. When that highest court determines something is unconstitutional, for all purposes, it is. For who can determine otherwise?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
A Constitutional Amendment would take activist judges out of the equation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it does....

I think you mean to say that you disagree with either the ruling itself or the Court's reasoning.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I think you mean to say that you disagree with either the ruling itself or the Court's reasoning.

I suppose you're right, in a purely legalistic sense. After all, when the Supreme Court says it's unconstitutional, who am I to say it isn't? But the reasoning for the ruling that it was unconstitutional is based on "emerging national consensus," not on the Constitution itself. The imposition of personal social views should not enter into an analysis of the constitutionality of a law. They should only look at the Constitution.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I suppose you're right, in a purely legalistic sense. After all, when the Supreme Court says it's unconstitutional, who am I to say it isn't? But the reasoning for the ruling that it was unconstitutional is based on "emerging national consensus," not on the Constitution itself. The imposition of personal social views should not enter into an analysis of the constitutionality of a law. They should only look at the Constitution.

Their reasoning is that it constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment" which, if I recall correctly, is in the Eighth Amendment.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
How is killing someone who kills another "cruel and unusual punishment". I think that is a stretch at most. I would say feeding them only food and water would fall under those criteria. Killing them is not cruel!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:05 pm
killing another is wrong so we punish the killer by killing them. makes sense to me but I haven't taken my meds today.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 03:47 pm
dyslexia, I love ya man...........................!

"Killing them is not cruel" ?????

I guess if you do it real quick..!
0 Replies