Do Agnostics and Athiests simply reject faith?

Adrian

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
Intrepid.

I didn't quote any definitions because, frankly, they are very aesy to find. Nonetheless if quotes are what you like here are some;

From Dictionary.com

Quote:
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Quote:
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

From Thesaurus.com

Quote:
2. Mental acceptance of the truth or actuality of something.

From Merriam-Webster

Quote:
3. something that is believed especially with strong conviction.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:14 pm
Waldo_ wrote:
Quote:
That being so however....I defy anyone to present unambiguous evidence that there is a God...or that there are no gods.

There simply is none!

Now keep in mind that I am not asking for PROOF of the existence of a God....or PROOF that no gods exist...but that I am asking for unambiguous evidence that points in the direction of either with enough force to suggest selecting that direction as a guess.

Honestly...I see absolutely no evidence that truly points to the existence of a God...and except for the evidence contained in that (they cannot produce their god for inspection)....I see no evidence that truly suggests there are no gods.

Theism and atheism (insofar as the atheism is hard atheism) are absolutely blind, uninformed guesses.

Maybe that is true if God is left as a pretty well undefined entity. However, the more that the theist describes his/her doctrine, the easier it becomes to refute that doctrine.

For example, you say that no evidence exists to point one toward the guess that there is no God. But, is there evidence to discourage one from believing that an omnipresent, omnipowerful being is both jealous and all-loving, veangeful and merciful and takes the time to get to know SOME humans on a personal basis.

Is it likely that this God held the sun in the sky for longer than the usual day so that a favored army could annihilate a despised army.

I don't mean to pick on the old testament, but it is common to many of the modern religions and--therefore--makes the most sense.

I would say that there is ample evidence to suggest that this doctrine of faith (especially the fundamentalist form) is highly suspect. I don't feel that an uninformed shot-in-the-dark guess is what led me to reject many of these notions.

Now, from a philosophy perspective, your point is well taken. There is no evidence that god does not exist.

If you are suggesting that the god described in the Bible is unlikely....and that there is ample evidence upon which to base a reasonable guess that it is unlikely...

...we are one.

But that truly does not impact on my comment that there seems to be no real unambiguous evidence upon which to base a reasonable guess about...there is a God or there are no gods.

I think we have almost no disagreement...but I wanted to put that observation out there.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:17 pm
Re: Do Agnostics and Athiests simply reject faith?
val wrote:
Kuvasz

No, Pangloss did not arise.
The logical argument I used was not from "Candide" - it is always better to read an author and not what another author says about him, specially if it is someone with an opposite perspective.
Leibniz said that God created the perfect world - see "Discours de métaphysique", pages 15/16. He criticizes those who think God created the world with the least possible imperfections.

About Leibniz logical reasoning I agree with you.
But I believe that all system must start in undemonstrated premises. I accept Tarsky's theorem.
In fact, and talking about Frege, don't forget Russel's reply.

Perhaps we are talking past each other.

I think that demanding that the "perfect world" of Leibniz is not the same as "the best of all possible worlds" of Pangloss or as referenced in your post as a sort of least possible imperfections[/b] is a distinction without a difference in this discussion. Both are displays of the error of such a singular use of deductive reasoning that Voltaire held in low regard in Candide.

And I promise, I am not beating up on Aristotle, but the use of such deductive logic exclusive to or dismissive of the inductive logic of Bacon is a failure of Leibniz, and Aquinas (and yes, I know, Aquinas did not have a time machine to learn of Bacon's work).

I drew upon the phrase "best of all possible worlds" because it is a phrase widely used in the common vernacular, and implies that "What is, is Right."

We may disagree that such also implies perfection. Would a baseball batter who goes 4 for 4 be perfect and exhibit the best of all possible worlds, while one who goes 3 for 3, with a walk exhibit the best of all possible worlds, but is less than perfect compared to the batter who goes 4 for 4?

I do not see a distinctive difference and I would consider each batter to have performed with the "least possible imperfections," and any baseball announcer would say that they were perfect at the plate that day.

My statement " Leibniz, Kant and Hegel never read Lobatchevski, Cantor, or Frege.[/b] is directly referenced at B. Russell's "Skeptical Essays," where, paraphrasing Russell "Lobatchevski, by inventing non-Eculidean geometry undermined the mathematical argument of Kant's transcendental aesthetic, Weierstrass, who showed that continuity does not involve infinitesimals, Cantor's theories of continuity and infinity countered the paradoxes of the Idealistics who threw discredit on mathematics by manufacturing contradictions to show that mathematics can not arrive at real metaphysical truth, and Frege showed that arithmetic follows from logic which Kant denied."

Russell was incisive enough to recognize that Frege found a third way between demands on the one hand that the objects of mathematics were not subjective and must be physical and empirical while on the other hand that they were not physical and therefore must be subjective and mental.

I think we find this in true scientific method, where one finds both induction and deduction....and combine Aristotle and Bacon.
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:29 am
Re: Do Agnostics and Athiests simply reject faith?
kuvasz

What I said was a minor disagreement with you. But as I said then, I agree with your perspective of Leibniz logical reasoning.

About science I have perhaps a very different opinion, but this Topic is not the place to discuss it. The same regarding Russel critics towards Kant (I think he is mixing two different things). But I am sure that in another topic we also could discuss that.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:29 am
surely there is no proof that there are no gods, because if there arent any gods there can never be proof of none of them
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:01 pm
axl, Pure logic does not work with religious thinking. It's all based on "faith."
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:19 pm
Adrian wrote:

Atheism is not a belief. It is the rejection of a belief.

I believe that there are no gods. I do not believe that there are gods. Notice the difference?

Adrian,

This is RIGHT where I lock up.

If this is not belief - what is it?

You have some evidence - although not enough - to conclude there is no God. You make up the gap to operate your life by believing that there is no God.

If it is a rejection of a belief - it is a belief in the rejection of a belief. If you did not have a belief - it would be knowledge, or ignorance.

I am curious to understand this postion well - and you have summed it up very well - but I still don't get it.

TTF

p.s. Frank says he does see the distinction - maybe he can dumb it down for me. Wink

Good to see you Frank - hope Golf is going well. (By 'well' I mean - you are not working and that is good golf)
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:02 pm
TTF

It goes something along the lines of this;

The claims put forth by theists are extraordinary. In order for me to believe those claims I need evidence. The evidence doesn't exist. Therefore I do not believe those claims.

Not believing a claim is not the same thing as believing the opposite of the claim.

There is no belief in the rejection because that would involve me actively believing the opposite of the the belief. I don't. I simply reject the belief and get on with the more important things in life.

Make any sense?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:20 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Atheism is not a belief. It is the rejection of a belief.

I believe that there are no gods. I do not believe that there are gods. Notice the difference?

Adrian,

This is RIGHT where I lock up.

If this is not belief - what is it?

You have some evidence - although not enough - to conclude there is no God. You make up the gap to operate your life by believing that there is no God.

If it is a rejection of a belief - it is a belief in the rejection of a belief. If you did not have a belief - it would be knowledge, or ignorance.

I am curious to understand this postion well - and you have summed it up very well - but I still don't get it.

TTF

p.s. Frank says he does see the distinction - maybe he can dumb it down for me. Wink

Good to see you Frank - hope Golf is going well. (By 'well' I mean - you are not working and that is good golf)

There are two different ways of expressing atheism. One is pro-active: I believe there are no gods. This is expressing a belief...namely that there are no gods. Ususally atheists refer to this as strong atheism.

The other way is simply to say: I do not believe in any gods.

That definitely IS NOT expressing a belief. It simply is refusing to accept a particular belief.

In effect, an agnostic does that same thing....and I think that soft atheism truly is nothing more than agnosticism expressed by someone who prefers to be called an atheist.

It becomes more understandable is one substitutes the word "guess" for "belief."

In one case, the person is saying "My guess is that there are no gods." The second is merely saying "I am not willing to guess there is a god."
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:28 pm
I would disagree slightly Frank. Atheism deals with belief, agnosticism deals with knowledge. I would say that you and I are both "agnostic atheists".
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:58 am
yes, i get your point.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:13 am
I don't.

I don't think you can simply state "I do not believe in any gods." and not call it a belief.

I am not sure humans are capable of suspending beliefs. I have discussed this in other threads but let me make a distinction.

Belief - seems to me to be along the lines of Aristotles Passive Nous. We take in sensory information and we believe what we take in. Right now I believe that there is a computer in front of me. I have no choice but to believe that. I take in the information through my senses and have no choice in my beliefs.

Faith - is an assenting to those beliefs. Fiath is where I choose to take in the sensory perception as data or reject it. If I had been drinking a lot this morning - I could have no faith that what I am seeing is real. I could reject this belief.

With that said - I don't think the agnostic nor the athiest can call what they do when they reject other information (testamony, scripture, etc) anything but faith. They take in a belief (they read the bible, Koran, or hear another person say they have seen a miracle) and they reject that belief. They choose, not to have faith, which is just as proactive as "I believe there are no gods." In effect, they are saying - "I have faith that what I have seen is not good enough to have faith in a God."

Assenting or not assenting is an act. Thus active.

Thoughts?

TTF
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
Repectfully as possible, I think you are all wet!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:46 pm
So the person saying, "there is no god," without the noun "belief" or the transitive verb "believe" still has a belief? I don't think so.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:16 pm
Frank:

I may be buddy! Maybe I took a wrong turn on the third hole and I am playing out of the water hazard! Wink

CI:

There is no God would be a statement of fact - that not only says you have a belief - but that you have support for that belief in facts (other beliefs that you think you have good reason to assent to), that allow you to make an inductive statement of near certainty.

Do you think that is possible for the Athiest - to have knowledge there is no God?

Can you prove a negative?

If it is not knowlede it is either an opinion (might be true - might not) or it is faith. No?

Now - I am not saying I have knowledge there IS a God. I have faith. I have assented to the beliefs that I have experienced. That is all. I agree with Frank signature. I think it is a strength to know only what you can understand. I know I have faith - it is the athiest that seems to be claiming they know something that they don't. (Also, I detest the theist that says thier faith is so strong it is knowledge. That is mere confusion.)

TTF
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:00 pm
It's almost impossible to prove a negative, but I also do not try to prove there isn't a satan. I can only go by my personal experience and observations with the limited faculty of my brains. I do not try to prove what isn't; there's enough challenge to try to prove what "is." Without any observable proof (that I can identify) that there is a god/satan, I'm not here to prove to others the reasons why they don't exist. That's for each individual to figure out for themselves. There's nothing for me to believe in any of the religions created by man that basis their theology on theism. I'd like to see anybody that believes in theism to prove it. I'm not in the habit of arguing for something that doesn't exist. That's a waste of my time.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:39 pm
CI:

I think you have agreed with my point. You have certainly had someone tell you of thier 'testimony' about religion. You believed them - but had no faith that what they were telling you should make you have faith in God.

You had faith that what they were saying was no good reason to believe in God. You didn't have certain proof, you didn't have knowledge, you didn't have an opinion.

You have faith you are right. No?

TTF
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:54 pm
No. I have faith in my wife. I have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow morning. Once upon a time, I used to be a buddhist and a christian. As I have learned more about this world and religions, it was my decision that religion has been a hinderance to mankind, and not the panacea that most people proclaim as god's way is the best. I live by my own philosophy of life which in essence is "treat all living things with respect and dignity." Do I fail? Sure, but who doesn't? I just know that I'm not the worst or the best human on this planet; that's sufficient for me.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:16 pm
So what is your ability to know / believe / have faith that there is no God - if you don't call it any of these three?

TTF
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:30 pm
Here's the deal; I've come to the conclusion that most people's belief in their religion is an accident of birth. Not only in today's world, but from our knowledge of past history. That's been true whether the king claimed themselves a god or they worshipped some pagen image or something they see like the sun or animals. Religion is religion whether it's called king, sun god, christian, jew, buddhist, hindu or anything else. Cultures and populations with religion have not shown to be an advantage when it came to the treatment of other humans or living things, no matter how much they devoted their lives to it. In some instances, religion made it worse. Just because a pagen 5,000 years ago believed in the sun god with all his being, that doesn't prove he was right. Nor are all the people of this planet today that believe in the many religions we have in existence. Gods are a manmade concept for which many believe. That's their priviledge and human right. I also have the right not to accept any of those manmade religions or gods. It just doesn't do anything for me. I try to live my life in a moral and ethical way to the best of my abilities. I don't need religion to tell me what is good or bad. What I believe today is the result of my genes and my environment; it just differs with the majority on this planet, and that's okay.
0 Replies