Do Agnostics and Athiests simply reject faith?

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:41 pm
TTF no they are not the same, but you've made my point yourself. Some atheists do "reject" faith, others (probably most) do not. Some have not been offered faiths to reject. Others never considered having an un-scientific way of looking at things. Apparently most Chinese people just never give gods a second thought, they've never met anyone who had any faith in any gods, what would make them "reject" anything? You didn't anwer my question...did you simply reject Hasidism?

It all comes back to those basic definitions. I define all who lack belief in gods as atheist. Within that group are many different kinds of people some with beliefs, some without, some who reject theism, some who did not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:45 pm
<what he said>
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:48 pm
Having said that I personally reject faith as a path to understanding. I prefer empirical information. I see faith as cheating, pretending to know things you don't.

My father always said "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" and that has served me well.
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:00 am
First, I am not angry at religion. My father was an atheist, but he provided me all the possibilities of deciding, specially with his books, his friends - many of them scientists.
And I have nothing against religious people, excepting those who want impose by all means their beliefs.

But, being an atheist is not simply to have faith that there are no gods. I don't see how could someone have faith in a no-existence. Faith, as a special kind of belief, is positive.
An atheist like me, does not considerer the question of god as a central question. The central question is what I believe: I believe in a physical reality, I believe that my reason cannot reach anything behind or external to my experience conditions.
So, I have no place in my perspective of the world, for a transcendent entity like God. I would prefer that there was a God, an afterlife. I have lost people I deeply loved, so it is very painful to think that I will not see them no more.
But the fact that some idea is more agreeable than other doesn't make it acceptable. And since I have that perspective of me and the world, I cannot accept any metaphysical entity.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:28 am
I'm with you val.

It's an interesting point that you (and I) would love for heaven and god to exist, theists always assume we want our version to be true.

The fact is, they (the theists) just haven't shown me anything to make me think they have a realistic proposition....they are too busy telling me I'm evil and a Hitler supporter !?!?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:16 am
thethinkfactory wrote:

Frank,

To say that "I choose not to guess" - is not the same as saying "I do not believe in any gods." The first is agnosticism - the second is athiesm.

That simply is not so, Jason. I am an agnostic....and I do not believe in any gods. There is no contradiction in that. I also do not believe there are no gods.

I simply do not do any of this "believing" nonsense.

Not choosing to "believe" (which is to say, not choosing to guess) is NOT "faith."

Quote:
I am thinking - as hard as I can - it simply does not make sense.

TTF

I don't understand why not. It makes plenty of sense to me.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 05:23 am
Hey Frank,

I have come to respect your position and opinions, so I'd like to know what you think of these guys and thier definitions, if you would be so kind.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/index.shtml
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:26 am
Eorl

I just finished a stint at an atheist site...and I found the people there to be even more hard headed than the theists with whom I debate.

Atheists tend to react poorly to agnostic arguments...and much prefer to argue and debate with theists. I suspect this is because they can find so many flaws in the theistic arguments...and damn near none in the agnostic ones.

Frankly, except for the atheists who actually are agnostics but who prefer to refer to themselves as atheists...I find as many flaws in their arguments as they do in theistic ones.

In any case, I really don't want at this time to engage atheists on one of their atheistic sites. It is much, much too frustrating. So I will respectfully deline to do so.

I am more than willing to engage any atheists in debate here...so if you want to invite any of them over, I am sure they will be more than welcome.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:33 am
I have faith that my car's tires will not blow out while I am turning on a dangerous curve on a rainy night, but I have no faith in "religious faith."
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 06:46 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Eorl

I just finished a stint at an atheist site...and I found the people there to be even more hard headed than the theists with whom I debate.

Atheists tend to react poorly to agnostic arguments...and much prefer to argue and debate with theists. I suspect this is because they can find so many flaws in the theistic arguments...and damn near none in the agnostic ones.

Frankly, except for the atheists who actually are agnostics but who prefer to refer to themselves as atheists...I find as many flaws in their arguments as they do in theistic ones.

In any case, I really don't want at this time to engage atheists on one of their atheistic sites. It is much, much too frustrating. So I will respectfully deline to do so.

I am more than willing to engage any atheists in debate here...so if you want to invite any of them over, I am sure they will be more than welcome.

Well said Frank. The more I inspect agnosticism - I respect it. I think there are plenty of crappy faithful out there. I also think there are plenty of crappy 'faithless'. I also think there are plenty crappy agnostics.

I also agree with Eorl - I tend not to lead with faith. I think evidence must come before faith. This, I think, is the difference between believing like a child and believing child-like.

I think many Christians are child-like believers. I myself have experienced an 'other'. At the time I experienced God, I did not consider myself a theist - I feel that an other (who I call God out of convinience) visited me in a dream. The dream was profound, deep, and meaningful. But only for me. I would never think that any others could be swayed by my 'visitation'. This is the experience that I cannot shake.

Could it have been a figment of my imagination? Sure, but I have faith that it was not.

Could others discount it? Sure, like any other personal and private experience, an objective observer could discount it.

Would Frank call it ambigious? Sure, to him my experience would be ambigious. However, to the experiencer, the experience is veridical. All personal experience, that is not repeatable and not independantly verifiable, is subject to rejection by others. That is the way that type of experience goes.

However, that experience, and others since, has set me on a path. I intend to see where this path leads me. I suspect it will lead me to truth. If that truth is that there is no God - I will find that truth. My eyes are open, but for now - I feel that I am on the right path. The most logical answer is that something outside me produced those experiences. That something I am calling God - for now.

However, there are plenty of others that do not have any sort of similar experience. They should be skeptical, and the should look for reasons. If God is who he says he is, they should be able to find those answers.

The walk to truth that all of us are on - is very personal - I do not take any of my beliefs from others - and I suspect none of you take any of your beliefs from me. That is the way it seems to go.

TTF
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
Frank and I have gone around on the matter of atheism vs. agnostism for some time now (sorry, Frank, for talking like you're not here--I've missed you, by the way). To me, in the simplist terms, a theist says there IS a god; an atheist says there is NO god; and an agnostic says there MAY be a god. This is too simple. Frank merely states that he does not know if there is a god (to me that's tantamount to saying there may be a god, but not to Frank). In my version of atheism, I merely say that the theist's conception of god makes no sense to me. I do not believe in a no-god and worship him, as do militant BELIEVING atheists. I share Frank's disdain for that kind of atheist. But buddhists are atheists in the more passive sense that their sense of the nature of things contains no need or room for a theistic god.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:52 pm
Frank, the site I posted is nothing like this one, it is more of a resource based site.

I appreciate your reasons for declining however and I thank you for considering the matter all the same.

For the benefit of others then, here is a sample paragraph from that site:

From Positive Atheism: written by Cliff Walker and posted without his permission;
Quote:
The definition for atheism that we use, put simply, says that atheism is the lack of a god-belief, the absence of theism, to whatever degree and for whatever reason. The one thing that all atheists have in common, according to this definition, is that they are not theists. One either believes one or more of the various claims for the existence of a god or gods (is a theist) or one does not believe any of those claims (is an atheist). Though we do not recognize any "middle ground," we do acknowledge the agnostic position, which spans both theism and atheism: a theistic agnostic thinks one or more gods exist but can say no more on the subject than this (is a theist); an atheistic agnostic doesn't know if any gods exist (lacks a god belief, and is thus an atheist). Noncognitivists think all god-talk is meaningless, and thus lack any god beliefs (are atheists).

This, our working definition for the meaning of the words atheism and atheist, is known as the weak definition for the word atheism. We will cover several aspects of this definition during this discussion.

To assume that atheism involves more than the absence of theism is an error. Atheists are not necessarily Communists [3] (though some are). Atheists are not necessarily immoral or "wicked" [4] (though some are). Atheists do not necessarily assert that "no gods exist" (though some do). Atheism is but one component of an atheist's larger philosophical outlook and can influence that outlook, but atheism is never itself that primary outlook.

Some atheists simply lack belief (or even awareness) while others have carefully considered the various claims and have either found them unconvincing or have flat-out rejected them as pure falsehood. Even if a person has never heard someone claim that a god or gods exist, that person lacks theism and is therefore, technically, an atheist. Nevertheless, most atheists would convert to theism if presented with a convincing argument, be they people who have yet to encounter claims for the existence of gods, or be they people who have honestly and carefully considered and rejected those claims that they have encountered.

One very important feature of the atheistic position is the fact that we are dealing entirely with claims -- claims that various deities exist. In discussing claims, it is always the person making the claim who is responsible for providing evidence and strong argument. The person listening to the claim need not make any argument at all. And the listener does not need to disprove a claim in order to reject it. If the person making the claim fails to make a convincing case, the listener rightly rejects the claim as falsehood (or suspends judgment, based upon the strength of the claim). In either event, the listener ends up lacking a belief in the object of the claim. While the world's atheists have assembled a vast and powerful arsenal of anti-theistic arguments, it is never the atheist's responsibility to prove or disprove anything. That job belongs to the person making the claim, which, in this discussion, is the theist.

And in lieu of hearing a convincing argument for the existence of gods, we remain without theistic beliefs: We remain atheists.

Then there is the strong definition of atheism also explained which is closer to what some here assume to be atheism.

The link once more for those interested:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/faq/faq1111.htm#WHATISPOSATH
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:24 am
Eorl

My atheism involves more, much more that the absence of theism. It involves all my ideas about me, the world. My atheism is not a cause, it is a consequence of that perspective.
Do you mean that I am not an atheist? Then, regarding the God's question, what am I?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:57 am
val

The first line of that post is: "atheism is the lack of a god-belief, the absence of theism, to whatever degree and for whatever reason"

It's simply the only thing all atheists have in common (by this definition of the word). All you need to do to qualify is to not be a theist.

Everything else about what you do are don't believe is quite beside the point.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:58 am
Did you check out the site by-the-way? What are your thoughts?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:31 am
Eorl

Thank you for your further comments...and for the opportunity to respond to some of the matter discussed in that other forum without actually posting there. As I mentioned, my last encounter in an atheistic forum was so bad, I prefer to avoid actually posting in the site. Feel free to use anything written here (attributed or not in that other site.

One of the several problems I have with atheists these days is that they are attempting to appropriate all the philosophical area outside of theism for themselves...and averring that anyone outside of theism is an atheist first...and perhaps an agnostic as a secondary characteristic.

In an earlier day...atheists were what most of us consider them to be...people who assert that there are no gods. Thomas Huxley came along and defined an area outside of theism...but also outside of atheism and called it agnosticism. The agnostic position was so strong...and so immune to the disputes theists were able to levee at atheism...many atheists decided to appropriate agnostic ideas and incorporate them into "their brand of atheism"...and to discount agnosticism as being grammatically and etymologically inappropriate.

The etymology of atheism was and is used as an argument. The reasoning was that if you are a-theistic...you are an atheist.

I consider that to be a bogus and self-serving consideration. And I consider that it would be ethically more consistent for supposed atheists who see the philosophical and logical superiority of the agnostic position...to abandon the term atheism for agnosticism...and leave atheism for use by those who assert there are no gods.

But many atheists do not want to do that. It appears they have invested too much of their egos in the description "atheist"

What can I say?

Perhaps all titles like theist, atheist, and agnostic should be abandoned in favor of a recitation of position.

Here is mine: I do not know if a God exists; I do not know if there are no gods; I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess....so I decline to do so.

In my opinion...that is the agnostic position.

If there are atheists who adopt the essentials of that position but who still insist on being called atheists...I think the position loses it efficacy in the debate on these issues.

As for specific responses to a few items in Cliff Walkers post:

Quote:
The definition for atheism that we use, put simply, says that atheism is the lack of a god-belief, the absence of theism, to whatever degree and for whatever reason.

That, of course, is the (in my opinion) inappropriate appropriation of all the area outside theism as the exclusive property of atheism. I reject it completely and out-of-hand.

Quote:
The one thing that all atheists have in common, according to this definition, is that they are not theists.

I have no problem with this...and I agree with it. All theists are "not theists." However, not all people who are "not theists" are atheists...no matter the etymology of that word.

Quote:
One either believes one or more of the various claims for the existence of a god or gods (is a theist) or one does not believe any of those claims (is an atheist).

Nonsense! Self-serving! Gratuitous!

Quote:
Though we do not recognize any "middle ground," we do acknowledge the agnostic position, which spans both theism and atheism...

This is condescendingÂ…and inaccurate. Agnosticism is not a position that spans both theism and atheismÂ…it is outside of both. Asserting that it does is gratuitous and self-serving.

Quote:
...: a theistic agnostic thinks one or more gods exist but can say no more on the subject than this (is a theist); an atheistic agnostic doesn't know if any gods exist (lacks a god belief, and is thus an atheist). Noncognitivists think all god-talk is meaningless, and thus lack any god beliefs (are atheists).

Once again...self-serving.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:58 am
Thankyou Frank.

I have spent a lot of time reading Cliff Walkers views and have been heavily influenced to the extent that I have felt more able to define my own positions, (not make them, but define them and argue their positions) but I have had little else by way of alternative opinion except for theistic arguments which are of no use to me.

You, on the other hand, have helped to reinforce my suspicions that despite the author's authoritative stance, his views and his definitions may be more subjective than truly credible.

It does make it extraordinarily difficult not to be able to define atheism or agnosticism clearly. It's almost as hard to define as what a christian is! I suspect the devil's hand in this !!! :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
Could be! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:42 am
as a non believer, i have no trouble espousing my 'faith' that there is absolutely nothing to be gained from inventing deities to 'care' for my world.
I will attend to it myself thankyou; with the assistance of all who wish to participate, regardless of their 'whys' or beliefs.

[however, i must admit, belief in deities is a no lose situation; when i switch off, i will not find out that i was right (in fact my definition of 'hell' is finding out, at that point that i was wrong), but believers, when their systems tick their final tick, will not then find out that they were wrong! They will simply return to the 'nothingness' from which we came (i have 'faith' in that).]
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:15 pm
Great discussion.

I learn more and more.

I tend to still see it as a faith - and I will not beat that horse. But I am eternally open minded and am working.

Great set of comments BoGoWo.

Funny how Pascals wager is described as a no loose situation too.

TTF
0 Replies