Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 04:34 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank, your insolence and insensitivity are prime reasons why I choose to be a Christian.

Jeez...imagine that. And all this while I supposed you had chosen to be a Christian long you before you met me!!!!!

But if you tell me I am responsible for your error...I have to accept it.

Quote:
A scientific test was just conducted on a mass scale across the US. If you are interested look for it on the internet yourself.

They asked children on a variety of grade levels in school about certain issues. These issues were primarily related to things considered "virtues". Questions like if someone hit you, what do you do to get them back? Well guess how the agnostic and atheist kids did? Horribly! They scored so low there were not even categories to put them in. The Christian children did remarkably but understandably well. They comprehended things like equality and forgiveness at considerably younger ages than their athiest agnostic counterparts.

So you can sing your little ditty Frank, but I have real concrete proof that I am right. Every day it proves itself even more.

2 Peter 1:3
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
[/quote]

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death." Deuteronomy 22:18ff
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
I am sorry I didn't realize there were the last two replies, I thought no one had responded.

I was about to come here and reply anyway and noticed there were replies here... Sorry I didn't notice them. Please don't take offence that I had not replied. I am now reading your posts and I will reply to them soon, once I have had a chance to think about them.

thanks

I was going to say before I noticed your posts. (again sorry)

Frank you like to throw around the word guessing... or let's say making it up as we are going along... If you are aware you are guessing then you are not assuming to know, but if you think you "know" something and will sware you are not guessing then is that a lie? Is it better to doubt the truth?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:14 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank, your insolence and insensitivity are prime reasons why I choose to be a Christian.

Jeez...imagine that. And all this while I supposed you had chosen to be a Christian long you before you met me!!!!!

But if you tell me I am responsible for your error...I have to accept it.

Quote:
A scientific test was just conducted on a mass scale across the US. If you are interested look for it on the internet yourself.

They asked children on a variety of grade levels in school about certain issues. These issues were primarily related to things considered "virtues". Questions like if someone hit you, what do you do to get them back? Well guess how the agnostic and atheist kids did? Horribly! They scored so low there were not even categories to put them in. The Christian children did remarkably but understandably well. They comprehended things like equality and forgiveness at considerably younger ages than their athiest agnostic counterparts.

So you can sing your little ditty Frank, but I have real concrete proof that I am right. Every day it proves itself even more.

2 Peter 1:3
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death." Deuteronomy 22:18ff

today I think it is called teens on death row... or did they just stop that a like a month ago? But I have news for you the "elders of the gate" still lock up these teens and seven year olds who blow away people with shotguns and such, for a very long time now.

But we are not a little Hebrew tribe with murderous teen on the loose. We have cell block prisons with electronic monitoring so they don't have to worry about half of the tribe having their throats slit in the night while they sleep.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lol - cheerful chappy, aren't you?

Rex - it will immediately become clear to you, if you look at the url you provided, that the claims you assert were made by Fox are not claims made by the study itself. (I would be interested to be pointed to whatever Fox said, though!)

I am only beginning to research the study - but already a few alarm bells are going off.

The study (which may be a perfectly methodologically sound one) is funded by the Lilly Endowment Inc.

Here is their mission, in part:

http://www.lillyendowment.org/religion.html

"In recent years Lilly Endowment's religion grantmaking has been focused on major, interlocking efforts aimed at enhancing and sustaining the quality of ministry in American congregations and parishes. The Endowment has focused on supporting programs and projects that address four broad questions: How do we identify, recruit and call forth a new generation of talented Christian pastors? How do we best prepare and train new ministers for effective and faithful pastoral leadership? How do we improve the skills and sustain the excellence of pastors currently serving congregations? What are basic questions about the current state of the practice of ministry that we need to answer to improve the quality of ministry?

Responding to these questions prompts a series of important additional questions that must also be explored and addressed in order to make progress in this arena. These include questions about these topics: the characteristics of vital and healthy congregations; the knowledge, skills and practices of faithful and effective pastors; the ways the Christian faith is transmitted to the next generation; how young people are encouraged to explore their faith and consider ministry as their life's work; the shape of theological education; how to get new pastors off to a good start; the experiences necessary to renew and sustain enthusiasm and excellence in the ministries of established pastors; and the role religion has played and continues to play in the lives of individuals as well as in American society.

The Endowment's efforts are based on several convictions about what is essential for supporting and sustaining strong and vital congregations. The first is that the quality of pastoral leadership is critical to the health of congregations. When well-prepared, thoughtful, imaginative, able and caring pastors lead congregations, these communities of faith tend to thrive.

Theological education is absolutely pivotal, and seminaries play a critical role in preparing pastors for their leadership in congregations. Theological schools engage students in an exploration of the wisdom of the Christian tradition and train pastors how to bring biblical and theological insights to bear on contemporary issues.

There also is an ecology of institutions, including congregations, regional and national judicatories, colleges and universities, seminaries, independent agencies, retreat and conference centers, publishers and other supporting organizations, that must work collaboratively in addressing challenges and in maintaining strong and vibrant religious traditions and communities.

Major research projects support these efforts and provide a solid portrait of 21st century American society and church life. This base of information enables pastors and religious leaders to make informed decisions about their ministries and the broader public to understand more deeply the role of religion in American life.

In summary, the Endowment supports efforts:

* to deepen and enrich the religious lives of American Christians, primarily by helping strengthen their churches;
* to support the recruitment and education of a new generation of talented ministers and other religious leaders;
* to encourage theological reflection and religious practices that recover the wisdom of the Christian tradition for our contemporary situation;
* to support scholars and educators who seek to help the American people better understand contemporary religion and the role it plays in our public and personal lives; and
* to strengthen the contributions that religious ideas, practices, values and institutions make to the common good of our society.

In order to get an overview of some of the many projects that are supported through the Religion Division's grantmaking, click on Resources for American Christianity (www.resourcingchristianity.org). Information about a number of major Endowment-funded projects and organizations may be found by going directly to the following links....."

Not, perhaps, the least ideologically partisan of funding bodies??? Hmmm?? heard of observer effect?

I do not have time to research this further - I have to go to work - but I shall have a look at their stuff later.

I am not really against religion in a society, as long as it is a choice and not imposed.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:37 pm
If by general questions and observations it is found that children have an advantage in life when they are raised in a religion (ie some simple form of Christianity) then I still believe it should be the choice of the parents if they want this type of education for their children. But who would not want to give their children an intellectual/emotional/spiritual advantage?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:36 pm
Mrs Smith,
A visitor?

Sherlock
Mr. Woodly...

Mrs. Smith
However did you guess Mr. Holmes?

Sherlock
Mrs. Smith, I never guessed...

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Solitary Cyclist

I think the reason that Sherlock was so popular was people's innate respect and delight for the gift of knowing/induction/intuition.

Induction
Logic.
A. The process of deriving general principles from particular facts or instances.
B. A conclusion reached by this process.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:49 am
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...such slaves you may own as chattels, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, making them perpetual slaves."

The god of the Bible....at Leviticus 25:44ff
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 06:35 am
If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence.

---Bertrand Russell

I do not exclude myself from the truth of this remark. But awareness of it does (at least sometimes) prevent me from equating what I am "able to know" with that which is actually knowable.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:08 am
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where ...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death." Deuteronomy 22:18ff

today I think it is called teens on death row... or did they just stop that a like a month ago? But I have news for you the "elders of the gate" still lock up these teens and seven year olds who blow away people with shotguns and such, for a very long time now.

But we are not a little Hebrew tribe with murderous teen on the loose. We have cell block prisons with electronic monitoring so they don't have to worry about half of the tribe having their throats slit in the night while they sleep.

Rex, So you equate "stubborn and unruly" with murderous, and slitting throats in the night? That's quite a stretch of language just to justify your God's barbarity. And stoning just seems so messy and brutal, but then there is so much of that sort of thing in those old religious texts. I never could understand where the term "good book" came from.

Since you seem to like quoting 1 Corinthians, how about this one?

"34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. "
I Corinthians 14: 34-35
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:14 am
Rex, I have heard Frank be called many things, but never the cause of someone taking up Christianity. For shame Frank. :wink:
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:27 am
yay I did the smart thing again and skipped all the bullcrap and went right to the end and found out this is another stupid christian argument trying to prove why CHRISTIANITY... is right and EVERYTHING else therefore must be wrong because I guess there is only 1 TRUE god so screw everybody else they alreby be gonna to hellez Razz Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Idea Question Laughing
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:34 pm
inner-peace wrote:
yay I did the smart thing again and skipped all the bullcrap and went right to the end and found out this is another stupid christian argument trying to prove why CHRISTIANITY... is right and EVERYTHING else therefore must be wrong because I guess there is only 1 TRUE god so screw everybody else they alreby be gonna to hellez Razz Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Idea Question Laughing

We can't all be right...

The fact that most Christians fail to understand Christianity does not erase the fact that most non-Christians are completely oblivious to Christianity... So what is the message? No one knows... There are too many assumptions and no one bothers to even search on their own...

Very few find the "truth".

John 8:32
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 10:21 pm
What is the truth?

Does the truth make everything else false or just less true?

What is half truth and what is a counterfeit, fake or fabricated truth?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 02:10 am
inner peace wrote:

Steady, John....less emoticons.......ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
0 Replies