RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:15 pm
Are we "able" to know? Yes, many are willing to admit they know but what makes us sure they know? What is "knowing"? The Greeks wrote of Hercules going into the underworld and of beasts and the dead alive again. Was this pure imagination? Is the place where the dead go like this, or is there no place at all but a void of existence?

How do we say with confidence "I know that my redeemer liveth"?

Books of the old testament talk of angels and beasts occupying places called heaven/hell. If there is no knowing can there be even consciousness or a conscience? Can we hold anyone to a moral standard if there is no way of determining the validity of a constitute? There is sincerity but is there truth?

What makes a Christian have faith? Is it out of dire personal need or is it because they have been visited by something coming from outside of what most rely on as reality? Were there voices or mind pictures that flashed and gave this knowing? Is there evidence that can be seen and passed on that one can witness and "know" by experience?

Is knowledge whispered to one in secret or is it that the world is so blinded that their eyes cannot adjust to the whole picture? What on earth is it that we need so badly to "know" that we don't already possess? Eternity? To escape what seems like the end?

What will knowing bring me? Status in society? Answers? More questions? Peace or unending conflict?

Maybe it is not knowing that is so blessed but innate goodness? Though there is knowledge there is not any love? knowledge often isolates one from their friends. Knowledge can create caste systems and put people on "levels" of maturity. Though knowledge must be applied skillfully to become wisdom.

The basic fundamental question is: What incident or event makes one know?

It is not that I do not know the answer to this question Smile

I will say, I did not figure it out myself... but I read it in the Bible.

I would just like to to see what doctrines are out there concerning the subject of "knowing".

Would you have to see the nail holes in the hands of a dead man to "know"? What type of think would convince you yet sill keep your freewill in tact. Would you have to be scared into believing or would you need to see a miracle or would it be salvation that would change your skepticism. What constitutes proof? What is an eye witness?

Can we believe what we see and think when we are in emotional states? What is the event that beings a true, balanced and sound sense of knowing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,655 • Replies: 73
No top replies

KatacqOnioj2

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:21 pm
I do not know where knowing begins, though I do know where it ends.

Knowing ends where action results in a deviation from the norms of existence.

As in...

The fool thus stated, "I know I can fly.", thus stepping off the cliff to his demise. Whereas the smart ass, uh, I mean wise man remarketh, "I know not anything except that I do not know.", while safely setting at said edge of said cliff.

Hope you enjoyed that one as much as I did!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
KatacqÃ'nioj wrote:
I do not know where knowing begins, though I do know where it ends.

Knowing ends where action results in a deviation from the norms of existence.

As in...

The fool thus stated, "I know I can fly.", thus stepping off the cliff to his demise. Whereas the smart ass, uh, I mean wise man remarketh, "I know not anything except that I do not know.", while safely setting at said edge of said cliff.

Hope you enjoyed that one as much as I did!

So are you saying the one who says they do not know, knows?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:29 pm
This reminds me of Jesus on the roof of the temple and satan/devil tempting him to jump. In the end it was Jesus who did not jump from the roof. So, in that example it may have been the non believer who would have jumped for the promise of what was behind door number three. Jesus was offered the kingdoms of the world but it is the christlike that desire heaven not paradise.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 06:46 pm
No one knows why we are able to know?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 07:12 pm
We are able to know for one reason, because we perceive with our 5 senses and we place these experiences in our brains. But these experience in our brains are not the complete picture. There is an over all center where the most vital issues are stored i.e. self preservation and procreation etc... This center is in the place that humans refer to as the heart. This heart is not in the chest cavity, though erroneously thought so, but in the brain. The chest cavity only registers the emotions sent from the thoughts of brain. This is all in the Bible... Yet the Bible tells us of a nature too. One is a corrupt nature and the other is not corrupt. Humans can change natures... So one day everything is getting worse and worse and the next day things are getting better and better.

So this is all to recognize the habit patterns stored in the brain. That change in humans is not usually instantaneous but takes practice and the will to allow positive change.

So is wisdom derived from within? Is it simply deduced from the mass of experiences and human nature? What guides us? Is it the subconscious or a spirit?

Can science detect something that is outside of their physical model?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:47 pm
Could you please manage not to use the name of this forum in your pursuit of your point of view?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:06 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Could you please manage not to use the name of this forum in your pursuit of your point of view?

Are you a moderator? Otherwise please stick to the topic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:11 pm
I'm a member and am welcome here to express my opinions.

In this case I think you are taking advantage of the host site's name to promote whatever your opinion is.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:11 pm
It is a valid question... are we able to know? I would have asked this question even if the post had been called something else...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:13 pm
You titled the post with the name of this popular website. I am offended by your use of it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:16 pm
It is not a spoof on the sight but rather could be construed as a compliment... but moreso and honest question searching for the collective consciousness of this forum to address if it's finest fashion.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:22 pm
Well, sometimes I do things for their shock value but I assure you this was really not one of my greatest... I am looking for an answer so I am able to know what others think... I will leave this post for someone who wants to read and understand specifically what I have written and respond to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:28 pm
RexRed wrote:
It is a valid question... are we able to know? I would have asked this question even if the post had been called something else...

However valid the question, you are using the site name with its particular lettering and number to promote your question.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:33 pm
You should have used the moribund title, Abuzz.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:34 pm
Yeah....
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:37 pm
Again... Please stick to answering the basic outline expressed in the subject of the post. If you have any further problems with my post take them up with the management of the site... It is an honest question well detailed and considered.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:38 pm
You got it! I was trying to follow the rule: When you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
If you changed the lettering and number in your title I'd stop nattering at you, rexred. In the meantime I have a right to express my not liking your use of it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
JLNobody wrote:
You should have used the moribund title, Abuzz.

That is not quite as revealing Smile
0 Replies