Educational question...need advice for 4th grader.

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 02:10 pm
Hi everyone!

My son is 10 and in the 4th grade. He is a very smart boy but he doesn't like to put fourth the effort. His teacher tells me that he rushes thru all his work in class and it is affecting is quizzes.

We have had a talk or two or three about this and he tells me he is slowing down. Last year he was at another school and had other problems. He does great at reading and spelling (at home) and brings A's on spelling tests, scores low in reading and struggles in math.
I was so worried that he and his brother had a learning disorder that I took them to get tested. Since the doctor told them that they were fine and nothing but lack of motivation was going to be the cause of them doing poor in school.

His older brother is doing great in math and better at reading and still just making the grades in spelling. Overall is doing much better than last year. Mo on the other hand seems to be going down hill.

I don't want to keep talking to him, I always remind him every morning that he needs to take his time. I tell him that the first to finish is not always the smarter one... I think he is more interested in going out to play or I really don't know what. I don't want to worry too much because his brother went thru the same thing and now is doing better.

Any advice on how to get him to slow while doing his work at school.
Or shall I just wait it out and keep reminding him to take his time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,021 • Replies: 13
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 02:21 pm
You know, I don't really have any good advice. I have tutored kids who had these problems, but each was different. There is a book I read, however, that might be helpful to you. It was called How to Parent So Children Will Learn . I read it a while back and it's full of really good advice that does work. I'm thinking I might buy it and read it again now that my oldest will be entering kindergarten.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
chispita--

Welcome to A2K.

Frequently kids pick up parental habits. Do either you or Mo's father have a tendency to be a bit slapdash, hurrying through tedious chores so that you can move on to more enjoyable pastimes?
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 05:22 pm
Freeduck- I'll have to look into the book.

Noddy-

Actually I'm a little bit of a neat freak. I don't hurry unless, cleaning the or doing laundry... I hurry but so I have enough time to make sure everything gets done right and not left behind for later. I always try to teach my boys that if "we" do things right the first time then we don't have to go back and re-do it.

As for their dad, I can't say. We have been divorced for 7 or 8 years.. to answer for him would not be right. However when we were together he did tend to not get things done. He was a major procrastinator. From what both of the boys tell me when they are with their dad it's all fun and games. The oldest once told me that he liked going with his dad because he was the fun easy going one and I'm the tough one.

What is funny is Andy the oldest is a clean kid.. he has picked up on getting things done right the first time and then you don't have to worry about it anymore. My husband and I joke that Andy got all the common sense and Mo wasn't around when it was being passed out.. Little adult humor (not in front of the kids) :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
Is it possible that part of Mo's problem is that he sees Andy as "the Organized One" and by being slapdash and hasty he's creating his own individuality?
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Is it possible that part of Mo's problem is that he sees Andy as "the Organized One" and by being slapdash and hasty he's creating his own individuality?

That is very true. I have always thought that. You know how kids always pick up on that kind of stuff even when we don't say it. Mo says "Andy is the smart one in math and I'm the smart one at spelling." I try really, really hard not to compare them or say, why can't you just be like... I was the "perfect" one growing up and my sister and brother resented me because our parents always said that to them. As adults they told me while we were growing up they just figured if our parents had already decided they weren't smart then they couldn't fail. I don't want Mo to think like that... and I do tell him he is smart, he just has to take the time to do things.

Mo and I talked lastnight, I explained to him how important it is that he take his time in everything he does. He started to compare himself to Andy again I told him we were talking about him not Andy. I reminded him that Andy is his own person and eventhough they love eachother and he loves to hang out with his big brother he needs to start doing things on his own. We thought letting them chose different sports to play (Mo is in baseball & Andy is in water polo) might give them the opportunity to grow independently of each other.

Since their dad and I split Andy has felt like he has had to be responsible for Mo. That's another issue, but one in the same. They've been so close for all these years that it's hard for them to split up. They "fight" a lot when they are together and can't seem to be apart. Andy is going to 7th grade next fall and I'm really scared that Mo depends on Andy a lot. During our conversation last night I told Mo it's okay for him to be his own person, to make his own friends and find the sport he likes the most and stick to it with out Andy. I told him that just because they do different things doesn't mean they have to stop being best brothers...

I also told him that if at the end of the quarter his teacher tells me he is still rushing then I will have to pull him out of baseball. Crying or Very sad and let me tell you he loves baseball but he knows I stick to my word... so I hope he really starts taking his time at school.

Does anyone have any other advice on how to make sure kids don't feel like they are being compared to their siblings? Or that they are the "black sheep" of the family.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
It sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. Hang in there. Kids adjust. It could be that Andy going into 7th grade is just what the doctor ordered.

I was very close to an older sister. So close, that I didn't speak -- she spoke for me. We were much younger than your boys, but the principle is the same, I think. When she started kindergarten and I was the only one left in the house, I started speaking for myself. I'm sure that she enjoyed the freedom of not having to speak for me anymore.

You seem to really know what is going on with your boys and the fact that you are so on top of it probably means that they will be fine.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
FreeDuck thank you for the compliment..

It's funny that you should say your sister spoke for you... That is still true for my boys. If they are together and someone asks Mo something he looks over at Andy and says "Andy, tell them"..

Andy has expressed that he sometimes gets tired of having to "carry" the weight for both of them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I hope that when school starts in the fall Mo doesn't start hanging out with the "wrong" crowd.

Being a parent is definitely the hardest job I've ever had, but the most rewarding!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:11 pm
See if there's any way you can manage to turn it into fun. Ask him if a story was bad or good and why. What would make it better? If that fails you can always fall back to bribery.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:14 pm
Oops! Noticed that you're a newbie. Welcome to a2k. I hope someone comes up with an answer to your knotty problem.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:42 pm
bobsmyth-
Thank you for both the welcome and the advice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:51 pm
Chispita--

You're on the right track providing that you don't give into temptation and rush through the remaking of Mo. If I had a pillow, I'd cross stitch a motto for you: "Constant dropping wears away the stone."

I know very little about sports, but it seems to be that a Baseball Addicted boy would accept that he can't rush through batting practice or catching practice or stretching exercises and expect to improve his play.

Good luck.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:55 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:
See if there's any way you can manage to turn it into fun. Ask him if a story was bad or good and why. What would make it better? If that fails you can always fall back to bribery.

That's a good idea. Another approach would be to use books about baseball or other things that he's actually interested in.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:40 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Chispita--

I know very little about sports, but it seems to be that a Baseball Addicted boy would accept that he can't rush through batting practice or catching practice or stretching exercises and expect to improve his play.

Good luck.

Noddy - I also don't know a lot about sports but you are correct... When he started out he was afraid of the ball and couldn't throw very well. My husband spent hours practicing with Mo and told him that it took time, then when he got on the team and hear that a lot of the other boys had been playing since they were 4 yrs old he got a little discouraged. We told him that he should be proud of himself, everyone else has been playing for 6 yrs and he just started and he's already doing better then some of the other boys. Not because he's better but because he loves it and puts the time into it.

FreeDuck, I'll use baseball to encourage him in his school work. That's a great idea! Laughing
0 Replies