China and Taiwan

Michael S

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:54 am
kounter wrote:

Sorry for being so late in reply, I got caught up in otherstuff. But anyways, I just want to continue on this discussion. It is true when in the 1870's Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: "Taiwan is beyond our territory." This is however as I explained earlier, the work of the remnants of Ming Dynasty troops resisting the Qing Dynasty. The Ming dynasty towards the end was strongly against outsiders, hence the defeat of the Dutch by a Ming dynasty admiral. At the time, the Chinese Emperor was trying to pacify an internal rebellion, then keeping the Mongolians in check. And so, it was not until 1881 (?, check earlier post) that the Qing finally managed to regain control. Before the use of force however, Emperor Kangxi had used diplomatic and mediation talks, pretty much on the same terms which the PRC today demands of Taiwan. As for the right to start a war, it is the individual right of every country to seek to maintain its sovernighty, to the point of force. If Taiwan would agree to drop independence, {by the way, again, the treaty between the Republic of China and Japan DOES NULLIFY the TREATY OF SHIMONOSEKI, (Article 4 of the Treaty does, however, abrogate all agreements between China and Japan concluded before 9 December 1941. This would include the Shimonoseki Treaty and would implicitly nullify the cession of Formosa to Japan) http://www.taiwandocuments.org/taipei01.htm)}, then the issue of war would be gone. Autonomy along the lines of Hong Kong would be granted. In the end, it is Taiwan who is keeping the chance of war very likely, not the PRC. Take any country into perspective, if a province (i.e California or the current conflict in chechnya) was to secede, would,'t America or Russia is currently, use force of arms to maintain the unity?

Kounter, good to hear from you. As always I enjoy chatting on the subject with you as yours have been intelligent and polite posts, thank you.

It seems we move back to the legal, rather than discuss what can be done facing the realities such as public opinion from both Taiwan and China, but OK, however I don't think there is a way to reach a consensus and anyone reading this thread would be sure of only one thing, that enough ambiguity exists to invalidate the claim of the PRC that they have right to use force to end the dispute.

Making comments on your post. Like the Treaty of San Francisco, the Treaty of Taipei did not explicitly grant sovereignty of Taiwan and Penghu to the ROC, or anyone for that matter and yes it also nullified all previous treaties made between China and Japan, implicitly repealing the Treaty of Shimonoseki.

But this supports the theory that the sovereignty of Taiwan was returned to the people of Taiwan when Japan renounced sovereignty of Taiwan in the San Francisco Peace Treaty (SFPT) in 1951, based on the policy of self-determination which has been applied to "territories which detached from enemy states as a result of the Second World War" as defined by article 76b and 77b of the United Nations Charter and also by the protocol of the Yalta Conference.
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 01:32 am
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

Sorry for being so late in reply, I got caught up in otherstuff. But anyways, I just want to continue on this discussion. It is true when in the 1870's Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: "Taiwan is beyond our territory." This is however as I explained earlier, the work of the remnants of Ming Dynasty troops resisting the Qing Dynasty. The Ming dynasty towards the end was strongly against outsiders, hence the defeat of the Dutch by a Ming dynasty admiral. At the time, the Chinese Emperor was trying to pacify an internal rebellion, then keeping the Mongolians in check. And so, it was not until 1881 (?, check earlier post) that the Qing finally managed to regain control. Before the use of force however, Emperor Kangxi had used diplomatic and mediation talks, pretty much on the same terms which the PRC today demands of Taiwan. As for the right to start a war, it is the individual right of every country to seek to maintain its sovernighty, to the point of force. If Taiwan would agree to drop independence, {by the way, again, the treaty between the Republic of China and Japan DOES NULLIFY the TREATY OF SHIMONOSEKI, (Article 4 of the Treaty does, however, abrogate all agreements between China and Japan concluded before 9 December 1941. This would include the Shimonoseki Treaty and would implicitly nullify the cession of Formosa to Japan) http://www.taiwandocuments.org/taipei01.htm)}, then the issue of war would be gone. Autonomy along the lines of Hong Kong would be granted. In the end, it is Taiwan who is keeping the chance of war very likely, not the PRC. Take any country into perspective, if a province (i.e California or the current conflict in chechnya) was to secede, would,'t America or Russia is currently, use force of arms to maintain the unity?

Kounter, good to hear from you. As always I enjoy chatting on the subject with you as yours have been intelligent and polite posts, thank you.

It seems we move back to the legal, rather than discuss what can be done facing the realities such as public opinion from both Taiwan and China, but OK, however I don't think there is a way to reach a consensus and anyone reading this thread would be sure of only one thing, that enough ambiguity exists to invalidate the claim of the PRC that they have right to use force to end the dispute.

Making comments on your post. Like the Treaty of San Francisco, the Treaty of Taipei did not explicitly grant sovereignty of Taiwan and Penghu to the ROC, or anyone for that matter and yes it also nullified all previous treaties made between China and Japan, implicitly repealing the Treaty of Shimonoseki.

But this supports the theory that the sovereignty of Taiwan was returned to the people of Taiwan when Japan renounced sovereignty of Taiwan in the San Francisco Peace Treaty (SFPT) in 1951, based on the policy of self-determination which has been applied to "territories which detached from enemy states as a result of the Second World War" as defined by article 76b and 77b of the United Nations Charter and also by the protocol of the Yalta Conference.

thanks Michael for the compliment, I too truly enjoy this discussion as well. Okay, if we were to move the legal issues of who is right and wrong off hte board, we can actually see three parties involved. There is the PRC, the ROC and the Native Taiwanese. Why the PRC is so adamant about using force is the threat that American may use Taiwan as a leverage board against China by stationing troops there(I'm not sure if there is any troops already there, I don't think so). As for self-determination, as the ROC currently holds power over the island, the new Republic of Taiwan would merely be a another name for a potentially hostile country on the very doorsteps of China. Alone, Taiwan would not dream of Invasion but with America, it is a differant story. If this threat was far removed, China would have less cause to try and recover Taiwan. Moreover, the PRC remembers the short period of the Republic where social living standards and conditions were worse off than under Imperial rule. Sixty years is a short time for scars of a nation to disappear and China does NOT want another internal civil war. BACK REPLY LATER
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:11 pm
kounter wrote:

thanks Michael for the compliment, I too truly enjoy this discussion as well. Okay, if we were to move the legal issues of who is right and wrong off hte board, we can actually see three parties involved. There is the PRC, the ROC and the Native Taiwanese. Why the PRC is so adamant about using force is the threat that American may use Taiwan as a leverage board against China by stationing troops there(I'm not sure if there is any troops already there, I don't think so).

No not officially, and any that are would be in very small numbers, mostly spies. If you like have a read on this Spook mountain. The major force is in Japan and South Korea. Also I agree stategically, Taiwan is very importantly located.

kounter wrote:
As for self-determination, as the ROC currently holds power over the island, the new Republic of Taiwan would merely be a another name for a potentially hostile country on the very doorsteps of China.

Well I have not really mentioned , but this seems the appropriate time. Neither the ROC or the PRC were given sovereignty over Taiwan, the ROC was given the right to temporarily hold Taiwan area in trust. But I don't see Taiwan as being hostile to China, Taiwan has economically tied itself to China, which is a trend likely to continue.

kounter wrote:
Alone, Taiwan would not dream of Invasion but with America, it is a differant story. If this threat was far removed, China would have less cause to try and recover Taiwan. Moreover, the PRC remembers the short period of the Republic where social living standards and conditions were worse off than under Imperial rule. Sixty years is a short time for scars of a nation to disappear and China does NOT want another internal civil war. BACK REPLY LATER

I certainly see what you are saying. In my view, right now, the most likely cause for some misunderstanding or provocing action is to come from the Taiwan side. I'm sure you read the news and are aware the government here is being accused of all kinds of corruption, in such an environment using the China/Taiwan issue becomes a way for the politicains to divert attention.

Unfortunately, China has limited Taiwans options. Certainly the terms and conditions are simple, but an unwise policy. I should first say, that over the past few years the Chinese government I believe has been handling the Taiwan/China issue much better than the Taiwan side, they have shown restraint with the notable and unfortunate passing of their anti cessation law.

China has insisted that before any negotiation may take place the Taiwan side must first agree that "there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of that one China" the two sides may disagree on what that one China is. This effectively cuts off any chance of negotiation, forces Taiwan into a very dangerous corner, China could quite easily drop this requirment without loosing anything that they claim, just defusing the situation , the cards are in Chinas hand and it is up to them to show some maturity.

Why will Taiwan not agree to the statement "there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of that one China". Becuase this is the end game of a negotiation with China acheiving its goal, once Taiwan agrees to this , it is only a short time before handover. If this is agreed to , Taiwan are giving up the right for self determination.

In short China's position is surrender or be invaded and there will be no negotiation. I'm saying they should open the dorr for negotiation and take the edge off the situation.
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 01:13 am
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

thanks Michael for the compliment, I too truly enjoy this discussion as well. Okay, if we were to move the legal issues of who is right and wrong off hte board, we can actually see three parties involved. There is the PRC, the ROC and the Native Taiwanese. Why the PRC is so adamant about using force is the threat that American may use Taiwan as a leverage board against China by stationing troops there(I'm not sure if there is any troops already there, I don't think so).

No not officially, and any that are would be in very small numbers, mostly spies. If you like have a read on this Spook mountain. The major force is in Japan and South Korea. Also I agree stategically, Taiwan is very importantly located.

kounter wrote:
As for self-determination, as the ROC currently holds power over the island, the new Republic of Taiwan would merely be a another name for a potentially hostile country on the very doorsteps of China.

Well I have not really mentioned , but this seems the appropriate time. Neither the ROC or the PRC were given sovereignty over Taiwan, the ROC was given the right to temporarily hold Taiwan area in trust. But I don't see Taiwan as being hostile to China, Taiwan has economically tied itself to China, which is a trend likely to continue.

kounter wrote:
Alone, Taiwan would not dream of Invasion but with America, it is a differant story. If this threat was far removed, China would have less cause to try and recover Taiwan. Moreover, the PRC remembers the short period of the Republic where social living standards and conditions were worse off than under Imperial rule. Sixty years is a short time for scars of a nation to disappear and China does NOT want another internal civil war. BACK REPLY LATER

I certainly see what you are saying. In my view, right now, the most likely cause for some misunderstanding or provocing action is to come from the Taiwan side. I'm sure you read the news and are aware the government here is being accused of all kinds of corruption, in such an environment using the China/Taiwan issue becomes a way for the politicains to divert attention.

Unfortunately, China has limited Taiwans options. Certainly the terms and conditions are simple, but an unwise policy. I should first say, that over the past few years the Chinese government I believe has been handling the Taiwan/China issue much better than the Taiwan side, they have shown restraint with the notable and unfortunate passing of their anti cessation law.

China has insisted that before any negotiation may take place the Taiwan side must first agree that "there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of that one China" the two sides may disagree on what that one China is. This effectively cuts off any chance of negotiation, forces Taiwan into a very dangerous corner, China could quite easily drop this requirment without loosing anything that they claim, just defusing the situation , the cards are in Chinas hand and it is up to them to show some maturity.

Why will Taiwan not agree to the statement "there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of that one China". Becuase this is the end game of a negotiation with China acheiving its goal, once Taiwan agrees to this , it is only a short time before handover. If this is agreed to , Taiwan are giving up the right for self determination.

In short China's position is surrender or be invaded and there will be no negotiation. I'm saying they should open the dorr for negotiation and take the edge off the situation.

Thats kinda true, but if China doesn't first force down this point, then negotiations would be held in semi-legal status for Taiwan, also implying that it is a soverign nation. By making this point first, it can establish the set rule that negotiations are made in anyother fashion apart from nation to nation basis. This is also a ploy to deter America and other countries from supporting taiwan.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:50 am
kounter wrote:

Thats kinda true, but if China doesn't first force down this point, then negotiations would be held in semi-legal status for Taiwan, also implying that it is a soverign nation. By making this point first, it can establish the set rule that negotiations are made in anyother fashion apart from nation to nation basis. This is also a ploy to deter America and other countries from supporting taiwan.

Yes, one must understand that China wishes not to encourage legitimacy by entering negotiations on a nation to nation basis, It could be argued that his is just as much a concession as Taiwan agreeing to enter negotiations under the one China principle.

If one puts aside the differences in the two sides arguments for a moment and look to the future in a way which would be to have a peaceful resolution as the most important factor.

Although having so far in this thread always argued from the Taiwan side, I feel like I must almost play the devils advocate here. President Chen, if you have followed in the news has been embroiled in so much scandal that not only have the vast majority of Taiwanese called for him to step down , large numbers of his own party have also done so.

Chen legacy is one of a corrupt president. One wo has contributed nothing to Taiwan, who during his tenure has seen the stock market decline, unemployment rise, relations with the US at an all time low. He has a year and 10 months or so left, against the wishes of the majority of Taiwan he will push for a new constitution and renaming the country to ensure his legacy. How will the Government in China respond?

Sometimes the best way to act is to be proactive. If you can predict what will be coming , take the wind out of Chens sails , only the Chinese government can do this. They would need to concede some card, but they have all the cards, and still don't need to concede much.
0 Replies

researching

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:10 pm
Michael_S wrote:
... President Chen, if you have followed in the news has been embroiled in so much scandal that not only have the vast majority of Taiwanese called for him to step down , large numbers of his own party have also done so.

Chen legacy is one of a corrupt president. One wo has contributed nothing to Taiwan, who during his tenure has seen the stock market decline, unemployment rise, relations with the US at an all time low. He has a year and 10 months or so left, against the wishes of the majority of Taiwan he will push for a new constitution and renaming the country to ensure his legacy.

I have followed the scandal and the judicial uproar over his whole family now. FACT: this man is naught but a corrupted liar. He should be the Spin doctor of Taiwan, not the president. Not only has he contributed nothing to Taiwan, he has not contributed anything to the world and international relations, save for tension, conflict, tension, chills in relations...did I mention TENSION? He should be brought before the courts, with no protection or immunity.
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 04:49 am
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

Yes, one must understand that China wishes not to encourage legitimacy by entering negotiations on a nation to nation basis, It could be argued that his is just as much a concession as Taiwan agreeing to enter negotiations under the one China principle.

If one puts aside the differences in the two sides arguments for a moment and look to the future in a way which would be to have a peaceful resolution as the most important factor.

Although having so far in this thread always argued from the Taiwan side, I feel like I must almost play the devils advocate here. President Chen, if you have followed in the news has been embroiled in so much scandal that not only have the vast majority of Taiwanese called for him to step down , large numbers of his own party have also done so.

Chen legacy is one of a corrupt president. One wo has contributed nothing to Taiwan, who during his tenure has seen the stock market decline, unemployment rise, relations with the US at an all time low. He has a year and 10 months or so left, against the wishes of the majority of Taiwan he will push for a new constitution and renaming the country to ensure his legacy. How will the Government in China respond?

Sometimes the best way to act is to be proactive. If you can predict what will be coming , take the wind out of Chens sails , only the Chinese government can do this. They would need to concede some card, but they have all the cards, and still don't need to concede much.

China would love to take the wind out of Chen, in fact they would like to do it literally. However, if they intervene, publicly at least, Chen gets all the ammo he needs to jump on stage both at home and internationally to declare that China is meddling in its internal affairs and *perverting* the course of democracy. Thus, it is up to the Taiwanese population to get rid of Chen themselves.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 05:24 pm
kounter wrote:
China would love to take the wind out of Chen, in fact they would like to do it literally. However, if they intervene, publicly at least, Chen gets all the ammo he needs to jump on stage both at home and internationally to declare that China is meddling in its internal affairs and *perverting* the course of democracy. Thus, it is up to the Taiwanese population to get rid of Chen themselves.

I certainly see what you are saying, it seems for the moment there is unlikely to be progress until after the 2008 elections. I cant see the DPP agreeing to China's "one China" precondition of talks, and I can't see the DPP being able to pass anything provocative to China through the legislative yuan which is KMT crontolled.

China's demand that Taiwan accept "one China" as a precondition to talks, may in retrospect have been a terrible mistake, I think China realizes this (they shot themseves in the foot), but now its in the open there's no way to take it back. The Chinese people would see this as too much of a conssesion perhaps.

The only party to benifit from this precondition is the DPP (Taiwan independance party).

China, has removed itself from the negotiating table. In a democracy, political parties need to have their voices heard, and to be debated in public.

The KMT's stupid claim that Taiwan is the legitimate government of China and therefore they can accept to talk under the "one china" but different interpretations , is ripped to pieces by the DPP, who ridicule this for the farce it is.

One would hope that after the 2008 elections, things may improve. But this would depend on Ma or another from the KMT winning the elections.

If there is one issue that will cause the KMT to loose the electons more than any other, it is China's insistance on talks being resumed under the "one china" principle. The DPP will use this to maximum effect.

So you see, while I understand the difficulty, China is already making life difficult for themselves. They can modify policies such as the insistance of resumtion of talks being only under the condition that Taiwan agrees to "one China", it would even look like a little victory for the DPP. In reality, both they and the KMT would be the real winners.
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:35 pm
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

I certainly see what you are saying, it seems for the moment there is unlikely to be progress until after the 2008 elections. I cant see the DPP agreeing to China's "one China" precondition of talks, and I can't see the DPP being able to pass anything provocative to China through the legislative yuan which is KMT crontolled.

China's demand that Taiwan accept "one China" as a precondition to talks, may in retrospect have been a terrible mistake, I think China realizes this (they shot themseves in the foot), but now its in the open there's no way to take it back. The Chinese people would see this as too much of a conssesion perhaps.

The only party to benifit from this precondition is the DPP (Taiwan independance party).

China, has removed itself from the negotiating table. In a democracy, political parties need to have their voices heard, and to be debated in public.

The KMT's stupid claim that Taiwan is the legitimate government of China and therefore they can accept to talk under the "one china" but different interpretations , is ripped to pieces by the DPP, who ridicule this for the farce it is.

One would hope that after the 2008 elections, things may improve. But this would depend on Ma or another from the KMT winning the elections.

If there is one issue that will cause the KMT to loose the electons more than any other, it is China's insistance on talks being resumed under the "one china" principle. The DPP will use this to maximum effect.

So you see, while I understand the difficulty, China is already making life difficult for themselves. They can modify policies such as the insistance of resumtion of talks being only under the condition that Taiwan agrees to "one China", it would even look like a little victory for the DPP. In reality, both they and the KMT would be the real winners.

It all really depends on the mood of each party. Chen is just trying to divert any and all attention from his other political issues (note; he has become more vocal on the independence issue recently), the KMT is probably unwilling to let go of their original goals, set down by Dr Sun Yat-sen (Great Man Very Happy ), and China is just worried about the Olympics. I've got a hunch that Chen will declare independence in 2008, probably during the Olympics. Seeing that its usually a period without war, if China doesn't act immediatley, international support may grow in that period of inactivity. If China does act, it'll attract criticism not to mention loss of moral highground. Perhaps this policy of 'One China' talks is one way of keeping a rein on Chen, reminding him that China isn't going to negotiate on that. Letting negtiations go ahead without keeping this policy as a precondition can be seen as a sign of weakness, and give Chen greater confidence in the event of declaring independence. But we'll have to see in 2008. Smile
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:01 am
kounter wrote:

It all really depends on the mood of each party. Chen is just trying to divert any and all attention from his other political issues (note; he has become more vocal on the independence issue recently), the KMT is probably unwilling to let go of their original goals, set down by Dr Sun Yat-sen (Great Man Very Happy ), and China is just worried about the Olympics. I've got a hunch that Chen will declare independence in 2008, probably during the Olympics. Seeing that its usually a period without war, if China doesn't act immediatley, international support may grow in that period of inactivity. If China does act, it'll attract criticism not to mention loss of moral highground. Perhaps this policy of 'One China' talks is one way of keeping a rein on Chen, reminding him that China isn't going to negotiate on that. Letting negtiations go ahead without keeping this policy as a precondition can be seen as a sign of weakness, and give Chen greater confidence in the event of declaring independence. But we'll have to see in 2008. Smile

It's not so easy as that. One needs to look at the realities, Chen can't just get up and declare independence and it is so.

Firstly, Taiwan already has de facto independence, the move Chen made recently is to ammend the ROC (Taiwan) constitution, to basically write China out of it completely. This is seen as the first step towards de jure independence. While this is seen by the PRC (China) as the line which must not be crossed and ammounts to a declaration of independence, since the legislative yuan is KMT controlled and must be first approved by them, this has no chance of being passed and Chen knows it (and China knows it too, which is why they have a mild reaction), hes just trying to build up a bit of support from his die hard supporters.

If this could be taken to the nation in the form of referendum, is still less certian, but in this case, the majority of Taiwanese are quite aware this amounts to a declaration of war and again would likely only get no more than 20% from the die hard independents. But what is sure Chen getting up and saying what he likes amounts to not much. He is a lame duck president.

One must also remember. Americas stance, and that of pretty much the rest of the world is that they do not support Taiwan independence, and they do not support any unilateral change by either side (which is aimed more at Taiwan than China recently). Even a change in the constitution to change Taiwans status from de facto to de jure independence will not get them admitted to the UN (since China can veto the motion), its unlikely to change anything.

In other words, China doesn't need to make threats every time a politician here is trying to beef up their local support, they hold all the cards, they have international support, they can economically hold Taiwan hostage. Such actions only provide ammunition to the TI's, and in this respect China has been very shrewd in the past 4 or 5 years.

The lack of vision on the part of the DPP, who made so many promises and now after 6 years in power is becoming quite apparent to the people of Taiwan. The one China prerequisite, may indeed be the bottom line, alowing talks without this precondition, doesn't mean China is changing its bottom line, but could at least make discussion about "how" Taiwan and China might co-exist. Much may be very resonable, and attractive to the Taiwanese, who also don't want to live under the constant threat of war. But none of that can be discussed, while the precondition exists, which the TI's have convinced the people is a handover uncontionally to China.

Michael
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:16 am
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

It's not so easy as that. One needs to look at the realities, Chen can't just get up and declare independence and it is so.

Firstly, Taiwan already has de facto independence, the move Chen made recently is to ammend the ROC (Taiwan) constitution, to basically write China out of it completely. This is seen as the first step towards de jure independence. While this is seen by the PRC (China) as the line which must not be crossed and ammounts to a declaration of independence, since the legislative yuan is KMT controlled and must be first approved by them, this has no chance of being passed and Chen knows it (and China knows it too, which is why they have a mild reaction), hes just trying to build up a bit of support from his die hard supporters.

If this could be taken to the nation in the form of referendum, is still less certian, but in this case, the majority of Taiwanese are quite aware this amounts to a declaration of war and again would likely only get no more than 20% from the die hard independents. But what is sure Chen getting up and saying what he likes amounts to not much. He is a lame duck president.

One must also remember. Americas stance, and that of pretty much the rest of the world is that they do not support Taiwan independence, and they do not support any unilateral change by either side (which is aimed more at Taiwan than China recently). Even a change in the constitution to change Taiwans status from de facto to de jure independence will not get them admitted to the UN (since China can veto the motion), its unlikely to change anything.

In other words, China doesn't need to make threats every time a politician here is trying to beef up their local support, they hold all the cards, they have international support, they can economically hold Taiwan hostage. Such actions only provide ammunition to the TI's, and in this respect China has been very shrewd in the past 4 or 5 years.

The lack of vision on the part of the DPP, who made so many promises and now after 6 years in power is becoming quite apparent to the people of Taiwan. The one China prerequisite, may indeed be the bottom line, alowing talks without this precondition, doesn't mean China is changing its bottom line, but could at least make discussion about "how" Taiwan and China might co-exist. Much may be very resonable, and attractive to the Taiwanese, who also don't want to live under the constant threat of war. But none of that can be discussed, while the precondition exists, which the TI's have convinced the people is a handover uncontionally to China.

Michael

China only resorts to threats as a (somewhat harsh i'll admit) reminder. However, sentiment on independence or reunification cannot be hld down only by fear; China must convince Taiwanese that reunification is better than independence. the armed posturing is more for the benefit of die-hard supporters of Chen, as well as America, rather than the majority of Taiwan. Besides, whether or it the yuan accepts independence or not is possibly moot, because (just guessing), if Chen declares Independence, China will probably immediatley attack, thus permitting Chen to declare a state of emergency. The chinese have a saying: 'In the face of a great enemy, change of generals is not good'. Thus, Chen can either force the declaration to be continued under Martial Law, and beg for international support against 'Communist' invasion. On the other hand, if China doesn't act, the time period of inactivity by Chen can permit him to persuade the yuan that China will not attack and thus pass Independnce through the yuan successfully. When China finally moves, the time of inactivity can be utilised by Taiwan very successfuly to gain Internation support and sympathy, making any possible takeover much harder.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:28 am
Cool, it seems we have areas of agreement. Heres a little something for you if you have time to read Questions of sovereignty

This guy puts forward that Taiwan is in fact still under US jurisdiction, legally. I warn you first this is quite a long article and would be to comapre a PHD students work against Pragmatic's version of history written earlier which would be Kindergarden level.

Any thoughts?
0 Replies

yellowseven

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:50 am
what a mess
N. Korea warns South against sanctions By JAE-SOON CHANG, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 27 minutes ago

North Korea warned South Korea against joining international sanctions, saying Wednesday that its neighbor would "pay a high price" if it joins the U.S.-led drive to punish the reclusive communist nation for its nuclear test.

The statement from the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland came as South Korea struggles to determine how it should enforce the U.N. sanctions, including whether to help interdict North Korean cargo ships suspected of transporting materials for unconventional weapons.

"If the South Korean authorities end up joining U.S.-led moves to sanction and stifle (the North) we will regard it as a declaration of confrontation against its own people ... and take corresponding measures," the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland in a statement.

The U.N. Security Council unanimously adopted a sanctions resolution five days after the North's Oct. 9 test, and a South Korean task force met this week to determine how the country should address the measures, including what to do about joint economic projects with the North.

South Korea's participation in the sanctioning the North is important because the country is one of the main aid providers to the impoverished communist nation, along with China.

But both countries have been reluctant to impose stern measures against their volatile neighbor. China, North Korea's closest ally, voted for the U.N. resolution but is concerned that excessive measures could worsen the situation. South Korea has expressed similar concerns, although there was no immediate response to Wednesday's statement from North Korea.

"If North-South relations collapse due to reckless and imprudent sanctions against us the South Korean authorities will be fully responsible for it and will have to pay a high price," said the statement, carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

A top U.S. diplomat said North Korea's test has brought China and the United States closer together and both countries want a unified response.

"China has been in a very important relationship with us for many years and at no time did we feel any closer together with China than we felt in the wake of the North Korea provocation," Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill told reporters during a meeting of Pacific leaders in Fiji.

ADVERTISMENT
Robert K. Maloney, M.D.
Dr. Robert K. Maloney, director of the Maloney Vision Institute (MVI), was the first surgeon in western North America to perform LASIK as part of the original federal Food and Drug Administration clinical trials. Today, he continues to advance the field of refractive surgery as one of the leading ophthalmologists in the United States authorized by the FDA to conduct clinical trials of LASIK for farsighted astigmatism, the Verisyse™ implantable contact lens, Conductive Keratoplasty for farsightedness, and the VISX CustomVue™ for laser vision correction.

Dr. Robert Maloney, Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at UCLA and a member of the U.S. Department of Defenses Joint Civilian Orientation Conference, has operated on soldiers who have been deployed to the Gulf Region. He has enhanced the vision of soldiers from the Special Ops Division to the National Reserve.

"I think the Chinese understand that the North Korean ... decision to proceed with a nuclear weapons program is really something quite beyond the pale and something we need to all speak with one voice about," said Hill, the chief U.S. envoy to six-nation talks on North Korea's nuclear program.

The U.N. resolution gave member countries 30 days from its Oct. 14 adoption to report on implementing the sanctions.

The South Korean panel, which met for the first time Tuesday, also is trying to decide how to handle the interdiction of North Korean cargo ships and what to do about the economic projects that have been criticized for providing hard currency to the North. The United States suspects the funds might have helped the North's arms programs.

One is a tourism program run by South Korea at North Korea's Diamond Mountain and the other is a South Korean-run industrial complex in the North Korean city of Kaesong. The North has received at least $900 million under the projects since the 1990s.

South Korea prizes the projects as symbols of reconciliation and has been unwilling to halt them. But it plans to make adjustments to meet Seoul's requirements under the U.N. sanctions.

Also at issue was whether South Korea would expand its participation in a U.S.-led drive to interdict North Korean ships and aircraft suspected of carrying weapons of mass destruction or related material.

South Korea has been reluctant to participate fully in the Proliferation Security Initiative because of concerns it could lead to clashes with North Korea and undermine efforts to persuade the communist state to give up its nuclear ambitions through diplomacy.

South Korea has only sent observers and attended briefings on the program.

South Korean Unification Minister Lee Jong-seok, a strong supporter of engagement with North Korea, offered to resign Wednesday because of the nuclear test. Critics have accused Lee of being too supportive of North Korea, but even if his resignation is accepted, it is not likely to lead to any immediate change in the South's engagement policy.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, meanwhile, also warned that pressuring the North could backfire.

"One should never lead the situation into an impasse, one should never put one of the negotiating sides in a position from which it virtually has no way out but one: an escalation of the situation," Putin said in televised comments broadcast in Moscow.

___

Associated Press Writer Samisoni Pareti in Nadi, Fiji, contributed to this report.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:58 pm
Michael_S wrote:
This guy puts forward that Taiwan is in fact still under US jurisdiction, legally. I warn you first this is quite a long article and would be to comapre a PHD students work against Pragmatic's version of history written earlier which would be Kindergarden level.

Any thoughts?

Yes, just one. Just because I haven't been on this thread for a while, doesn't mean that you can resort to insulting me behind my back.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:35 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Michael_S wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yes, just one. Just because I haven't been on this thread for a while, doesn't mean that you can resort to insulting me behind my back.

Laughing Hi Pragmatic, good to hear from you, it's been a long time. In fact, myself included, when it comes to the legalities surrounding the treaties, the debate runs so deep and heated. Hartzel's work, as a professional lawyer and someone who has studied the intricacies of each and every one of them for many many years and then reaches the stunning conclusion that Taiwan should still be under US jurisdiction only illustrates that a brief summary of history as you or I see it, really is to present a Kindergarten type view from the point of a lawyer.

Kounter and myself moved away from the purely legal aspect as the main topic as it really doesn't change anything or reflect some of the real realities that exist. The DPP push in Taiwan to change their defacto status to de jure is a hot topic in Taiwan and many doubt that would achieve much anyway. The opposition most probable candidate Ma is proposing trying to achieve a peace treaty with the mainland by 2012.

What do you think China could be doing to ease tensions across the strait?
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:41 am
Very nice, I like his reasoning. However, speaking realisticly, unless America wants a complete war with not only China but also Taiwan, it had better not follow this claim. He does follow the conventions that miltary occupation is not valid, and that it requires a specific authority i.e Instrument of Surrender to make it valid. His assertion that the ROC was merely a subordiante Occupying Power is not correct. The ROC was considered a fully soverign power at the time, and one could argue that the surrender was taken by an ally, America. but again, no matter what happens, America is in no position to back a claim of soverignty on the island. As for what the hell china can do to ease relations, how about what the hell can Taiwan do.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 09:11 am
kounter wrote:
Very nice, I like his reasoning. However, speaking realisticly, unless America wants a complete war with not only China but also Taiwan, it had better not follow this claim. He does follow the conventions that miltary occupation is not valid, and that it requires a specific authority i.e Instrument of Surrender to make it valid. His assertion that the ROC was merely a subordiante Occupying Power is not correct. The ROC was considered a fully soverign power at the time, and one could argue that the surrender was taken by an ally, America. but again, no matter what happens, America is in no position to back a claim of soverignty on the island. As for what the hell china can do to ease relations, how about what the hell can Taiwan do.

Well, it seems we may get to find out what the US thinks of the claim since it is now a lawsuit. http://www.taiwankey.net/dc/tforumtw.htm

It seems that the federal court in Washington D.C. has accepted the case, and the U.S. Attorney General has until late December 2006 to reply.

By the way, because the ROC was considered a fully soverign power at the time is not the reason for stating that they were subordiante Occupying Power .

During the course of the Pacific War, the historical record shows that all military attacks against Japanese Formosa & the Pescadores, and indeed against the four main Japanese islands, were conducted by United States military forces. The United States is the "conqueror."

In Taiwan, the military forces under Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) accepted the Japanese surrender on behalf of the Allies.

The US is noted in the San Fransico peace treaty as the principle occupying power.
kounter

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:17 am
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

Well, it seems we may get to find out what the US thinks of the claim since it is now a lawsuit. http://www.taiwankey.net/dc/tforumtw.htm

It seems that the federal court in Washington D.C. has accepted the case, and the U.S. Attorney General has until late December 2006 to reply.

By the way, because the ROC was considered a fully soverign power at the time is not the reason for stating that they were subordiante Occupying Power .

During the course of the Pacific War, the historical record shows that all military attacks against Japanese Formosa & the Pescadores, and indeed against the four main Japanese islands, were conducted by United States military forces. The United States is the "conqueror."

In Taiwan, the military forces under Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) accepted the Japanese surrender on behalf of the Allies.

The US is noted in the San Fransico peace treaty as the principle occupying power.

Wellie, wellie, wellie. its been AGES since i came onto this forum (too busy XD). Anyhoo, well, it's march now, but i can't hear anything coming out of the supposed deadline of January. Micheal_S, mind if u keep me uptodate? I'm kinda very busy atm. Anyhow, I guess its best if we just left it here, and let the big people sort it out.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@Michael S,
Hi there. Long time no see. I was going through some of these posts and if you're interested, would like to pick up on this discussion again.
Michael S

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 08:54 am
@pragmatic,
Yes, sorry for the late reply. Sure lets do that.

Here is an interesting read, its from the US State Court of Appeals. Basically they rejected a claim that Taiwanese should be US citizens , but did so with a very sympathetic ear and said basically their hands are tied by the executive Branch.

It covers the history of Taiwan and China and US relations and is a good and fairly easy reading, I highly recommend it.

http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/common/opinions/200904/08-5078-1174554.pdf