China and Taiwan

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:37 am
Taiwan has elections, the Chinese hold war games. I know which side holds the moral superiority, and it isn't China!
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
I'll skip the order for the moment to address one interesting theme,

pragmatic wrote:
8. PUBLIC POLICY ARGUMENTS

Don't say this is the position of the CCP or that we have been brainwashed by the government. That is an insult. These are personal opinions of the Chinese people. Chinese people have died for the diaoyutai islands (the most famous is the death of David Chang) and the most recent spate of fierce anti-Japanese protests in China were not only based on the right-wing government's refusal to acknowledge and apologise for WWII attrocities but also due to the contraversial diaoyutai dispute.

Well. No doubt WWII had a great number of attrocities, but lets look at the protests in China recently.

Now, if you had mentioned some (any) other factor , rather than the party line, I may have been inclined to think of you as a free thinker, some of these issues may have included,

Japan's push in the UN for permenent membership and how this might affect China.
What is the Shinto religion, and to what extent are president Koizumi's actions dictated by this religion.
Japan the USA and Taiwan are in negotiations for a military zone of co-operation.
Why have these protests been in only in recent years?
Given China's histroy for controling the media, what consideration here is given for how Japan creates and disributes it's text books.

Yet you adressed none of these.
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:24 am
Michael_S wrote:
Well, that's quite a bit of writing. I've been wondering where to start given that it will take a great deal of time to address all the inaccuracies , partially submitted facts and insubstantial conclusions. I guess lets start at the beginning , your selective overview of history.

1. GENERAL HISTORY
pragmatic wrote:
During the 1894-1895 .

I think we can say there was quite a bit of history before 1894 . We see no mention of the Dutch, I presumed from this point (Line one) on although presented as an unbiased factual account, I would be reading only the tailored facts that you determined would further your argument.

In fact The island's modern history goes back to around 1590, when the first Western ship passed by the island, and Jan Huygen van Linschoten, a Dutch navigator on a Portuguese ship, exclaimed "Ilha Formosa" (meaning "Beautiful island"), which became its name for the next four centuries.

During that time the new Manchu emperors were not eager to extend their rule over the island. They were "inland" people with little knowledge of the offshore islands and even less skill at naval warfare. In fact should be noted that in the 1870's Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: "Taiwan is beyond our territory."

In fact the first claim to Taiwan from China came in 1887, when the Manchu Imperial authorities decided to declare Taiwan to be a "province" of their Empire: they wanted to outmaneuver the Japanese, who were expanding their influence to the South.

An interesting point by the way is that in 1930's At that time the Chinese Communists under Mao Tse-tung were vying for control over China with Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalists. In an interview with American reporter Edgar Snow, Chairman Mao said: "...we will extend them (the Koreans) our enthusiastic help in their struggle for independence. The same thing applies for Taiwan" (p. 110 in Red Star over China, by Edgar Snow).

And you may note from your own post (your start of history) that less than 10 year later the Treaty of Shimonoseki was signed ceding Taiwan to Japan. What you fail to say or make note of is that this was signed in perpetuity , which was quite different to Hong Kong's new Territories lease for 99 years (perpetuity means forever).

pragmatic wrote:

However, after Japan's defeat in WWII, they returned the island back to China.

Actually, no. In 1951-52 the Allied Powers and Japan formally concluded World War II by concluding the San Francisco Peace Treaty. The formal result of the San Francisco Peace Treaty is thus that the people of Taiwan should determine the future status of the island based on the principle of self-determination. This Treaty is thus the first, and the last, international treaty of the 20th Century which deals with the status of Taiwan.

In conclusion up to this point is thus that Taiwan was an occupied part of Imperial China for only eight years. Not "always", as the KMT and the Chinese Communists are claiming. (As a note to any other readers brave enough to be following, KMT is the correct reference for the Kuomintang, not GMT , GMT being better suited used for Greenwich Mean Time)

Ok I'll leave the History lesson for now, so I can get a chance to answer at least a few other classic posts before this one no doubt will need further clarification.

I just like to correct several mistakes in here.

Firstly, Chinese rule extended before the Qing Dynasty. Ming Dynasty soldiers, under the command of the Chinese General Zheng Qing Gong (or known as Koxinga) had driven off the Dutch in 1661. He had landed because when the Ming Dynasty fell on the mainland to the Qing in 1644, he swore loyalty to the Ming Dynasty and gathered sympathizers around him. From then until 1684, Taiwan was ruled under Zhengs descendents. Then the second Emperor of the Qing Dynasty, Kangxi, landed troops and defeated the remmants of Ming soldiers. It became a separate province of is own in 1887, having formerly been part of Fujian province.

Following its defeat in the First Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895), Qing China ceded Taiwan and Penghu (the Pescadores) to Japan in perpetuity, on terms dictated by the latter.

On May 25, 1895, the Republic of Taiwan was formed with a dynastic name of "Forever Qing" and with capital at Tainan, to resist impending Japanese rule. Obviously this rebellion was crushed but what is interesting is the slogan of FOREVER QING used by the rebels. Obviously, a very strong mainland attachment existed then.

At the surrender of Japan in 1945, the instrument of surrender did indicate the return of Taiwan back to China but it failed to specify which china ie PRC or the ROC. Moreover, this is shown in the fact that that San Francisco Treaty does prove that taiwan and all areas taken by aggression is to be handed back. It does not in anyway says that the principle of self-determination applies. The Treaty of Taipei further confirms that Japan renounced all the rights, nominal rights, and claims concerning Taiwan and Penghu. It also nullified all previous treaties made between China and Japan, implicitly repealing the Treaty of Shimonoseki.

Therefore, the Treaty of Shimonoseki, despite its 'in perpetuity' phrase, its no longer relevant.

Although the Treaty of Taipei specifies 'Republic of China', the United Nations has delegated the seat of China to the Peoples Republic of China. Even if Taiwan was to gain independece, it would be known as the 'Republic of Taiwan' not China, therefore losing sovereignty over the island.

tsk,tsk check your data first before you put it on mate, that's a big F for 'fail' in your history lesson alright.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:28 am
Hi again. I am pretty sorry I haven't entered this topic for such a long time. It was mainly because that I felt increasingly disgusted and baffled by the politics, especially those which involve China. And I had also met some tricky problems in my life.
But today I saw this topic still flourish----increasingly fierce :wink: Especially when I saw quite a writing by our good fellow Pragmatic, and also a predictable counter-attack by Michael. And I found that I shouldn't chicken out.
OK I am back, and I'm going to view the previous pages and will be 'littering out' a bit ideas if really necessary.

JB
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:39 am
I would like to just clarify what the real position between Taiwan and China is. There are actually three parties involved in the conflict. The PRC, the ROC and the Native Taiwanese. The PRC and the ROC are fighting for a United China whereas the Native Taiwanese want a seperate Republic of Taiwan.

Now currently, Taiwan is know as the Republic of China. The party currently governing it is the DPP (Democratic Progressive Party) headed by a Native Taiwanese. They want a seperate Republic as Taiwan. The Kuomintang, the main opposition party wants a United China with the Mainland under the Banner of the Republic of China.

The real question is now: Does the Native Taiwanese have the right to become a Seperate Nation of their own or not??

I'm sure there are UN guidelines regarding this but I cannot find them Could someone please put up a link to it?
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:23 pm
kounter wrote:

The real question is now: Does the Native Taiwanese have the right to become a Seperate Nation of their own or not??

Kounter , thank you for your contribution. The above is a good question.

Would you agree that because the question has been raised, China's position that they have the right to invade and attack Taiwan as a renegade province which should be considered an internal issue is at the very least one or grave concern for the international community?

Pragmatic had asked wht does it have to do with the American's. In fact we live in global economy, damage to Taiwans semiconducter industry or China's manufacturing will have worldwide consequenses to site one example, not to mention arms build up and other countries that start to be pulled into the equation such as Japan, North and South Korea. It is not without good reason the Taiwan-China is considered one of the worlds most dangerous potential flashpoints. Besides, it would be easy to do nothing, but then again all that it takes for evil to succeed in the world is that a few good men do nothing.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:24 pm
multiple post
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:54 am
bookmark
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:23 pm
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

Kounter , thank you for your contribution. The above is a good question.

Would you agree that because the question has been raised, China's position that they have the right to invade and attack Taiwan as a renegade province which should be considered an internal issue is at the very least one or grave concern for the international community?

Pragmatic had asked what does it have to do with the American's. In fact we live in global economy, damage to Taiwans semiconducter industry or China's manufacturing will have worldwide consequences to site one example, not to mention arms build up and other countries that start to be pulled into the equation such as Japan, North and South Korea. It is not without good reason the Taiwan-China is considered one of the worlds most dangerous potential flashpoints. Besides, it would be easy to do nothing, but then again all that it takes for evil to succeed in the world is that a few good men do nothing.

One would think that National Sovernghty would take precedence over economic concerns. The American Civil War split the Union into North and South, with the South then providing the majority of the Wheat and Grain exports of America. Secession was not approved as it damaged the spirit of Patriotism and essentially weakened the country. In the case of today, the presence of U.S military bases on Taiwan, not mention Japan on the island of Okinawa, South Korea and various South East Asian countries pose a threat of retaliation to Chinese troops in the case of an attack on Taiwan. How would any country be able to stand such blatant infringements on its sovereign territory?? China and the Island of Taiwan is linked together, whether under the control of either government is negligible. True, it does involve the Americans, but not by force through economic means, but through choice in military means.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:42 am
kounter wrote:

One would think that National Sovernghty would take precedence over economic concerns. The American Civil War split the Union into North and South, with the South then providing the majority of the Wheat and Grain exports of America. Secession was not approved as it damaged the spirit of Patriotism and essentially weakened the country. In the case of today, the presence of U.S military bases on Taiwan, not mention Japan on the island of Okinawa, South Korea and various South East Asian countries pose a threat of retaliation to Chinese troops in the case of an attack on Taiwan. How would any country be able to stand such blatant infringements on its sovereign territory?? China and the Island of Taiwan is linked together, whether under the control of either government is negligible. True, it does involve the Americans, but not by force through economic means, but through choice in military means.

I understand your position that this is Chinese national sovereignty, however what relevent facts can you offer that the Chinese have a legitimate claim over Taiwan?

We have discussed the Chinese previously being in Taiwan for hundreds of years. Yet, the signing of Treaty of Shimonoseki by the Chinese in 1895 in perpetuity gave any prior claim they may have had null and void.

Next was the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1951. There was no mention made of who the recipient of sovereignty should be.

Where was any mention this recipient should be China ?

In addition, the UN charter chaper 1, article 1, item 2 states the UN goal is "To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples"

This is a fairly solid argument that the people of Taiwan, should be allowed the right of self-determination , whether that is unifying with the mainland or choosing independence.

Now, lets here you persuasive argument for why the PRC have the right to attack, invade and start a war with a peaceful country of 23 million people.
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 03:49 am
Michael_S wrote:
kounter wrote:

I understand your position that this is Chinese national sovereignty, however what relevent facts can you offer that the Chinese have a legitimate claim over Taiwan?

We have discussed the Chinese previously being in Taiwan for hundreds of years. Yet, the signing of Treaty of Shimonoseki by the Chinese in 1895 in perpetuity gave any prior claim they may have had null and void.

Next was the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1951. There was no mention made of who the recipient of sovereignty should be.

Where was any mention this recipient should be China ?

In addition, the UN charter chaper 1, article 1, item 2 states the UN goal is "To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples"

This is a fairly solid argument that the people of Taiwan, should be allowed the right of self-determination , whether that is unifying with the mainland or choosing independence.

Now, lets here you persuasive argument for why the PRC have the right to attack, invade and start a war with a peaceful country of 23 million people.

Just to clarify AGAIN, the treaty of Shimonseki was declared null and void at the Potsdam, and Cairo conferance. All Allied leaders agreed to have Japan return all territories stolen by the Japanese to the Republic of China. The treaty of Taipei further more nullifies all previous treaties between China and Japan, including the Treaty of Shimonseki. The "in perpetuity" claim is only within the boundaries of the treaty. The order in the Treaty of San Francisco mentions that Japan must hand over all rights, nominal rights, etc over Taiwan. To who? this is made clear in the Treaty of Taipei, between the REPUBLIC OF CHINA (aka Taiwan currently) and JAPAN. With Japan being ordered to give up its territories, it would assume that someone had to be the receipent and so the then-current representative of China was selected. Then in the Chinese civil war that followed, the Republic of China was defeated and the Peoples Republic established in its stead. The victory would have been total if it were not for the American 7th Fleet based in Okinawa indirectly threating American Intervention. It follows then that Taiwan is an inalienable part of the mainland. As for independence, it is against National Security and destabilizing for the whole of Mainland. With so many differant ethnic and cultural groups, the independence of anyone particular group would lead to mass demands for self-rule. With American bases situated along the entire east coast of China and now, with potential bases in the middle east, China faces a possible circulation by American military bases. It is exactly the same reasons why the Union refused to permit the secession of the Confederate States during the American civil war. Likewise China will NOT accept the proclamation of an independent Taiwan State. What gives Taiwan the right to destablize and potentially rip apart a country of nearly 1 billion people?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:44 pm
I don't have to say a thing - Kounter has said it all for me, in regards to the issue re Treaty of Shimonseki, but might I put forward another possibility why it is void AB INITIO (from the start) - it was an unfair treaty which the Qing was forced to consent to and the PRC currently refuses to recognise the validity of. Stop using the Treaty of Shimonseki argument Michael_S.

In regards to the San Francisco Peace Treaty, there is also another possible perspective. The language of the Treaty is ambiguous, it can be interpreted as:

1) Taiwan being impliedly handed to the government of China (issue is which was the valid gov, ROC or the succeeding gov PRC?): this is the view I believe in and that is I believe what Kounter was talking about

OR

2) Sovereignty being handed to expressly to no-one (which is a doubtful stance in the context of International law) and thus implying Taiwan to be an independent nation on its own, BUT if this interpretation is taken, note that: the western powers and Japan, when negotiating this treaty, missed out the two main players invovled - the PRC and the ROC. Both were not invited to talks about the island's future and sovereignty. Both governments therefore have the right to not recognise the San Francisco Peace Treaty if this interpretation is the settled one in the future.

Either way, the international law sources put forward so far appear to favour the view of Taiwan as being part of China. The onus is on the former (or specifically, President Chen Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) to prove otherwise.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:46 pm
Wilso wrote:
Taiwan has elections, the Chinese hold war games. I know which side holds the moral superiority, and it isn't China!

It isn't Taiwan either.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:06 am
Sorry, but I live in democracy. In my eyes, a democratically elected government will ALWAYS have the moral advantage over a self appointed one.

What does the Chinese government believe in anyway? They arrest people praying if the church doesn't have approval, but at the same time, their citizens go overseas on holidays, to study, and even emigrate. What is the point of iron-grip control?
0 Replies

researching

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:43 am
Wilso wrote:
Sorry, but I live in democracy. In my eyes, a democratically elected government will ALWAYS have the moral advantage over a self appointed one.

I'm sorry to be interrupting this thread and admit to not having read all posts here but in reply to Mr Wilso's post as quoted above: although I do not know Pragmatic's viewpoint in his/her post, let me be the first to inform you that Taiwan is not the democratically elected government it appears to be. Chen Shui bien's election in 2004 sparked nation wide protests - cries of foul and election rigging and such claims appeared to be fully justified. Many ballot papers were destroyed with no reason and his victory was only very very small to the point of suspicious. Election rigging was very probable. This is what you regard as "democractically elected?" Where do you live?

Wilso wrote:
What does the Chinese government believe in anyway? They arrest people praying if the church doesn't have approval, but at the same time, their citizens go overseas on holidays, to study, and even emigrate. What is the point of iron-grip control?

This is an example in fact of the government slowly improving their viewpoints on democracy and change. They are slowly releasing their iron grip on the people but with patience and time. It appears to be a no win situation for the gov - if they improve, they are criticsed and if they don't improve they are criticised.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:50 am
Wilso wrote:

I just SAID it isn't Taiwan either, didn't I? Rolling Eyes Researching's post expresses my viewpoint exactly - election rigging. Refer to this post here 2nd paragraph, please Wilso before you make more comments about the non-existent democratic votings of Taiwan, blah blah blah...
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:18 am
pragmatic wrote:
the western powers and Japan, when negotiating this treaty, missed out the two main players invovled - the PRC and the ROC. Both were not invited to talks about the island's future and sovereignty.

True. But think you missed a third, the Taiwan people themselves.

But ok, lets go back to international law in a bit, there are quite a few comments made that deserve closer inspection. But for the moment I would like to comment on a point made by Kounter.

kounter wrote:
It is exactly the same reasons why the Union refused to permit the secession of the Confederate States during the American civil war. Likewise China will NOT accept the proclamation of an independent Taiwan State. What gives Taiwan the right to destablize and potentially rip apart a country of nearly 1 billion people?

An intelligent point. In fact I agree with one aspect, no government of China will last 10 minutes in power if they were to allow Taiwanese independence without having used the military option. An unfortunate fact, but a fact never the less.

However, what is really being offered here to the Taiwanese. Hand over power , sooner or later, or be invaded. Move towards independence and you will be attacked. You are Chinese, speak the same language as the people of Taiwan and understand to accept these terms would be too much for them without first fighting for their rights, no government in Taiwan would last for 10 minutes if they proposed handing back Taiwan to China without a fight, and that too is a fact.

So China is an unstopable force and Taiwan an unmovable object, a recipe for disaster. But China holds all the cards, Taiwan is internationally issolated, they have been given zero room for negotiation or manovering, China is building up it's missiles at Taiwan which are already at 800+. In short China has Taiwan in a corner, there is the view in Taiwan, which is, if China is going to attack anyway, why not push for independence now while it would be still difficult for China to invade.

If China's objective is to really seek a peaceful solution, the ball is well and truly in their side of the court.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:29 pm
Michael I don't understand your last post. As I see it, we've already made clear that the Treaty of Shimonseki is void one way or another so that the island of Taiwan never was (or is not) handed over or given any right or justification to be indpendent. As much as I hate the idea of military means to acheive a result (and I know you doubt me but I do loathe such a possibility) because a territory rightfully belonging to the mainland (and the PRC as the successive government) is acheiving defacto soon to be complete independence status, what right doesn't the Chinese government have to use military means, so long as they don't breach international law (eg: use of nuclear weapons?) You are coming from perspective that can't be regarded as morally, legally or socially based, but merely repeating again and again that "Taiwan is going to be attacked because they want to be independent...and China shouldn't be doing that...and you don't look at it from the Taiwan's people point of view." If anything, it appears that the Taiwan people don't even want independence - President Chen's China bashing platform doesn't appear to be guaranteeing him another victory (unless there is election rigging AGAIN) over Ma Yingjiu.

I don't see any point in debating your current line of reasoning anymore.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:33 am
pragmatic wrote:
Michael I don't understand your last post. As I see it, we've already made clear that the Treaty of Shimonseki is void one way or another so that the island of Taiwan never was (or is not) handed over or given any right or justification to be indpendent. As much as I hate the idea of military means to acheive a result (and I know you doubt me but I do loathe such a possibility) because a territory rightfully belonging to the mainland (and the PRC as the successive government) is acheiving defacto soon to be complete independence status, what right doesn't the Chinese government have to use military means, so long as they don't breach international law (eg: use of nuclear weapons?) You are coming from perspective that can't be regarded as morally, legally or socially based, but merely repeating again and again that "Taiwan is going to be attacked because they want to be independent...and China shouldn't be doing that...and you don't look at it from the Taiwan's people point of view." If anything, it appears that the Taiwan people don't even want independence - President Chen's China bashing platform doesn't appear to be guaranteeing him another victory (unless there is election rigging AGAIN) over Ma Yingjiu.

I am sorry you don't understand my last post. The intention was to move away from the legal as we are going around in circles and try another line, which would be intuitive reasoning leading away from a situation that would create a conflict, and yes you are right I do believe this is what you want as you are unable to explore any possibilities, and are approching with a closed mind, who knows there is a good chance you may get what you want, but it would be terrible for both sides.

I don't think in any way legally you have proved the right of sovereignty, you mentioned the San Francisco Peace Treaty and somehow inferred that "Taiwan being impliedly handed to the government of China". At nowhere in the text is any such thing even remotely mentioned, I suggest you read it.

Kounter had mentioned the Cairo Conference which has its validity in question, which I am sure he knows and was my reason for a change of line so we don't just get hung up on which documents, conferences and agreements are legitimate and which are not. Some which support PRC and some which support Taiwanese independence. I think I have more than proved that although China have every right to claim Taiwan as their own, the Taiwanese claim is strong enough to not to legitimize Chinas claim that they have the right to start a war.

And by the by, my mentioning of the treaty of Shimonseki was more in response to YOUR claims of legitimacy going back thousands of years and how China would never allow part of the motherland to be seperate under any condition. When that is EXACTLY what they did in the treaty of Shimonseki . My quotes from that period from never got a response either from you , I put it to you again "In fact should be noted that in the 1870's Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: "Taiwan is beyond our territory." "
0 Replies

kounter

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:50 am
Michael_S wrote:
pragmatic wrote:

I am sorry you don't understand my last post. The intention was to move away from the legal as we are going around in circles and try another line, which would be intuitive reasoning leading away from a situation that would create a conflict, and yes you are right I do believe this is what you want as you are unable to explore any possibilities, and are approaching with a closed mind, who knows there is a good chance you may get what you want, but it would be terrible for both sides.

I don't think in any way legally you have proved the right of sovereignty, you mentioned the San Francisco Peace Treaty and somehow inferred that "Taiwan being impliedly handed to the government of China". At nowhere in the text is any such thing even remotely mentioned, I suggest you read it.

Kounter had mentioned the Cairo Conference which has its validity in question, which I am sure he knows and was my reason for a change of line so we don't just get hung up on which documents, conferences and agreements are legitimate and which are not. Some which support PRC and some which support Taiwanese independence. I think I have more than proved that although China have every right to claim Taiwan as their own, the Taiwanese claim is strong enough to not to legitimize Chinas claim that they have the right to start a war.

And by the by, my mentioning of the treaty of Shimonseki was more in response to YOUR claims of legitimacy going back thousands of years and how China would never allow part of the motherland to be separate under any condition. When that is EXACTLY what they did in the treaty of Shimonseki . My quotes from that period from never got a response either from you , I put it to you again "In fact should be noted that in the 1870's Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: "Taiwan is beyond our territory." "

Sorry for being so late in reply, I got caught up in otherstuff. But anyways, I just want to continue on this discussion. It is true when in the 1870's Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: "Taiwan is beyond our territory." This is however as I explained earlier, the work of the remnants of Ming Dynasty troops resisting the Qing Dynasty. The Ming dynasty towards the end was strongly against outsiders, hence the defeat of the Dutch by a Ming dynasty admiral. At the time, the Chinese Emperor was trying to pacify an internal rebellion, then keeping the Mongolians in check. And so, it was not until 1881 (?, check earlier post) that the Qing finally managed to regain control. Before the use of force however, Emperor Kangxi had used diplomatic and mediation talks, pretty much on the same terms which the PRC today demands of Taiwan. As for the right to start a war, it is the individual right of every country to seek to maintain its sovernighty, to the point of force. If Taiwan would agree to drop independence, {by the way, again, the treaty between the Republic of China and Japan DOES NULLIFY the TREATY OF SHIMONOSEKI, (Article 4 of the Treaty does, however, abrogate all agreements between China and Japan concluded before 9 December 1941. This would include the Shimonoseki Treaty and would implicitly nullify the cession of Formosa to Japan) http://www.taiwandocuments.org/taipei01.htm)}, then the issue of war would be gone. Autonomy along the lines of Hong Kong would be granted. In the end, it is Taiwan who is keeping the chance of war very likely, not the PRC. Take any country into perspective, if a province (i.e California or the current conflict in chechnya) was to secede, would,'t America or Russia is currently, use force of arms to maintain the unity?
0 Replies