China and Taiwan

J-B

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:35 am
I've found terrible that I said "Taiwan's culture of China".
a "microcosm" is better.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:50 am
gungasnake - your'e SO idealistic. Laughing
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:14 am
Quote:
do you think that HK ppl have the right to call themselves a HK person?

Why not. I'm English and from london and therefore a Londoner, people from Manchester Mancunians, people from Liverpool Liverpudlians , people from Glasgow Glaswegians . Not to mention American New Yorkers and so on.

The argument seems nationlistic to about the same degree as feminists who want manholes to be called peopleholes. Mabee they are all infact Aholes? OMG I hope thats not too rude for A2K? Let me know, I'm new to all this.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:51 am
Yes, the people from Hongkong can smoothly call themselves HongKongers since HongKong is a very special place.

A2K is a place in which no matter how fierce an argument is, the debaters will come to reconcile at last. So I think it doesn't matter :wink:
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:38 pm
^JB^ wrote:
A2K is a place in which no matter how fierce an argument is, the debaters will come to reconcile at last.

Hehehe...you have no idea. I will try to find that link on the gay marriages topic argument btwn SCoates and Dookiestix - their arguments alone went on for about three pages...and they didn't make up after that.

MS - you have a point and it was acceptable. I pictured you as an elderly guy (because you seemed to have lived in so many places for so many years, thats all!!!) but I think that image is incorrect...you're dialogue is so lively... Very Happy It's good to be so enthusiastic.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:30 am
Gay marriage? Smile
Okay excuse me I have no interests in that kind of topic and so I have no idea about it.

The people I have known are all great :wink:
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:35 pm
pragmatic wrote:
I pictured you as an elderly guy (because you seemed to have lived in so many places for so many years, thats all!!!) but I think that image is incorrect...you're dialogue is so lively...

I have just realised how prejudicial that comment is - I am certainly not one who believes in the "act your age" phrase. Apologies, apologies to anyone who read that and may be offended.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
Michael_S wrote:
Mabee they are all infact Aholes?

I hope that didn't mean that I am an A**hole as well. Shocked But I found that phrase pretty funny, generally - Laughing Its clever.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:47 pm
Of course pragmatic, youre right and good to see you have a sense of humour Very Happy Lets see how JB's humour is
Quote:
I've found terrible that I said "Taiwan's culture of China".
a "microcosm" is better.

Well , 60 years has been quite while. This was the separation ,the KMT comming to Taiwan and the Chinese cultrual destruction (oops revolution). The two paths have included differnent forms of writing characters (simplifed (for china) and traditional (for Taiwan)). Difernent views to religion and differnt views on how to govern (democratic vs communisim) .

Whatever culture was brought to Taiwan with the KMT 60 years ago, and integrated into Taiwan's culture went in one direction. The culture in China developed in another. Thats all, one is not a sub group of another. In some cases, China's cultural direction may be better than the direction that Taiwan took. But thats another argument and will come down to apples and oranges.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
Michael S...I just had to ask this - your name wouldn't happen to be Michael Shumaker, would it? Laughing
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:22 pm
Ha Ha, :wink: Glad to see you back, JB's not up for much debate or fun. Brings up the topic and whimps out, sissy boy (no offence JB in case youre still reading). Your comment about me was a bit beastly.. a bit like your name which is an anagram of CAT RAM PIG, could this be where you get your humour from?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:50 am
Largely due to my poor English, sometimes I cannot express my ideas properly :wink:

Welcome back prag! Smile
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:09 pm
Hello everyone...obviously I have missed something btwn you two...

So <bright and chatty> how is everyone?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:25 pm
A report was given in class--and revealed to me and the other mental midgets that China never had any claim on Taiwan, and that when Mao took over China, and the nationalists retreated to Taiwan (Chang Kaichek--I know I murdered his name), the anti-Communists (hey, MY guys) established themselves there, and China has been pissed about it since.

To further their pissitude, we decided to recognise TAIWAN as the One China in our One China policy.

But, China just WANTS Taiwan--and I understand, because no major power wants a little satellite for their enemies or rivals to set up shop floating out in their harbor....

But, we promised to bat for Taiwan in the event of war or hostilities, so they can't have it.

Is that right?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:41 pm
Quote:
He said your mother is a pig.

You can't be serious! Laughing

Quote:
A report was given in class--and revealed to me and the other mental midgets that China never had any claim on Taiwan, and that when Mao took over China, and the nationalists retreated to Taiwan (Chang Kaichek--I know I murdered his name), the anti-Communists (hey, MY guys) established themselves there, and China has been pissed about it since.

To further their pissitude, we decided to recognise TAIWAN as the One China in our One China policy.

But, China just WANTS Taiwan--and I understand, because no major power wants a little satellite for their enemies or rivals to set up shop floating out in their harbor....

But, we promised to bat for Taiwan in the event of war or hostilities, so they can't have it.

If told you that that isn't the case, as I know the history - would you call me a pig? Laughing

My understanding is that (and this is going to infuriate Michael S Laughing ) Taiwan was always a territory of China - in 1945 when the Communist party defeated the KMT - they escaped to Taiwan. Now they were "pissed" *to use your words :wink: * about losing the civil war - the whole dispute never was about whether Taiwan belonged to China or not - but who is the legitimate government of China - KMT or the Community Party? Now, that Taiwan is losing the battle to be recognised as THE government of China, they want to seperate the China and Taiwan and call themselves a "country." Therefore, Taiwan was always China's and the issue is can they be independent?

I am guessing you are from the USA, right? As for USA "not wanting us to have Taiwan" well, you know G W Bush himself has said that he does not acknowledge Taiwan indpendence and when the anti-succession law was passed, no protests from them were heard.

In regards to Taiwan never being part of China - whose was it? can you imagine the reaction of ... one truly indpendent country with a leader and all if a defeated party went over and tried to claim power, government and indpendence? Whewww...! Confused
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:51 pm
< Confused >
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:55 pm
Thank you Very Happy ! you're a very nice person I think - I know alot of ppl who would take this ... well, badly.

So you're a student as well? Or some academic at least! Tell me - what class were you in when this issue was brought up? You'll see in my profile I am into law and international relations.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:03 pm
On second thought.

I think I've used potty mouth in the wrong neighborhood.

I'll just clean up behind myself.

Sorry.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:06 pm
Hmm?? Shocked so I am a pig now? *tears falling down my face*
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:08 pm
A funny little pink one with a curly-Q tail!

<This is exhausting>
0 Replies