China and Taiwan

Adrian

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:07 pm
^JB^ wrote:
Can you name a language called "Taiwanese"?
JB

Granted you could argue that Taiwanese is only a dialect, but that arguemant could be made about many, many languages, including Mandarin.

Encyclopedia Article On Taiwanese Language. (CLICK)
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:35 pm
pragmatic wrote:
I just finished reading a speech from Madame Fu Ying, Chinese ambassador to Australia - and one of the press had asked her about the issue of China and Taiwan - why can't they be indpendent. She answered that Taiwan is a very important part of Chinese history and in fact a war had been fought over Taiwan back in 1661.

Can anyone elaborate on this war?

The Dutch set up a base in the 1620's. When the Ming dynasty began to collapse a Ming loyalist named Cheng Ch'eng-Kung set up camp on the island and in the process expelled the Dutch. It wasn't much of a war as the Dutch base was really just a lightly fortified trading outpost. When the Ch'ing dynasty took over from the Cheng's Taiwan was officially made a prefecture of Fukien. That would have been in the late 1680's. That was the first time Taiwan actually became "part of China".
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:53 pm
ok - thank you! :wink:
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:13 pm
Re: China and Taiwan
gungasnake wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Now I have to bring up the very sensitive issue of the relations (or lack of it) btwn China and Taiwan...who thinks what and why? I want to get a general perspective from everyone on A2K.

There's a fairly simple and elegant solution to the entire problem of Taiwan.

Basically, the chicoms must be made to answer this question: "Are you claiming to own an island, or are you claiming to own 30 million people who moved to that island to avoid living under your fubar government, along with their technological and industrial infrastructure?"

I don't see how we can defend Taiwan in perpetuity given it's location, nonetheless it's not obvious we should have to. None of the nationalist Chinese have any more than about 60 years history of living on that island, and we own lots of islands. The basic idea would be to take everything we have which moves over water, pick a particularly dark night, and move the Nationalist Chinese along with as much of their machinery and infrastructure as can be moved all back 6000 miles away from the coast of China either to one of our own island possessions or to that northwest corner of Australia which is mainly populated by poisonous snakes and estuarian crockadiles and then tell the fricking chicoms if they want an island (Taiwan), hey! feel free, rejoice dear hearts, it's all yours.

The Taiwanese would be back in business as if nothing had happened in less than six months and the chicoms would be snaffed.

Peter Schultz, CEO of Porsche, once noted that the only asset a company like Porsche really had which was meaningful was its people. He noted that you could bomb the entire plant to ashes and dust and if the people survived, they'd be building cars again in less than two years. Take away the people on the other hand, and the plant would revert to forest in the same time. The Taiwanese people of course aren't into heavy manufacturing far as I know, and the tools for making microchips and circuit boards would have to be easier to move and transport on ships than machine tools and the wherewithal for building Porsches.

Laughing Abso-freakin'-lutely hi-bloody-larious!!! Laughing

I won't bother pointing out all the problems with this post. I'll just point out that there aren't 30 million people in Taiwan and leave it at that.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:14 pm
didn't I say he was too idealistic? :wink:
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
Idealistic...that's one way of putting it I guess. :wink:
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:05 am
Today the chairman of Kuomintung is in my city Smile
He has just visited Mr Sun Yet-sen's memorial
http://www.yangtze.com/gallery/scenery/nanjing/photos/memorial4.jpg
0 Replies

DestinyX

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:55 am
Michael_S wrote:
An interesting couple of analogies there. I especially like the one about Australia.
Quote:
There is also the issue that Taiwan is already a nation - or as MS said, it can be argued they already are a nation. There has to be some basis for this claim and it seems to me that in today's contemporary community - it would be do other governments recognise you as a official country?

Well the official recognition IS a definition of a government, and yes Taiwan does not have this. Although it goes against common sense and frequently surprizes people such a definition exists. I would therefore suggest to Pragmatic that other definitions of government also be taken into consideration. For example a quick check on a couple of on line dictionaries gives the following definition.

Quote:
The act or process of governing, especially the control and administration of public policy in a political unit.
The office, function, or authority of a governing individual or body.
Exercise of authority in a political unit; rule.
The agency or apparatus through which a governing individual or body functions and exercises authority.
A governing body or organization, as:
The ruling political party or coalition of political parties in a parliamentary system.
The cabinet in a parliamentary system.
The persons who make up a governing body.
A system or policy by which a political unit is governed.
Administration or management of an organization, business, or institution.
government definition

Taiwan satisfies ALL of the above. Tasmania on the other hand does not. Tasmania does not collect its own taxes, make its own laws, have its own military and so on. The only common thread to Taiwan is that they are both islands. I hope you can give a more pursasive argument than this lame duck.

I would like to suggest that, the definitions you added are not universally ture. According to Andrew Heywood's book Politics, what you suggested are just one set out of the all, and we must know that, there isn't a general universal value of how a state can be defined. Because no one can yet set up the definitions. For example, the Taliban did satisify the definitions you gave, but no state on the planet except Pakistan recognised it. Another example is Palestine, it was a country before the WW2, but now though it satisifies all requirements to be a country and under the UN solution it should be a country, it still not yet a country?! another example is Cyprus, though north and south both satisified to be states, but there still only one Cyprus.
Anyway, the Taiwan strait issue is just too complex, it can only be solved by the people of the two sides themselves anyway. I really don't think the US involvement will do any good other than the US interest.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:39 am
Thank you for a great post DestinyX. I agree, there can be may interpretations and it may come down to semantics.

I am open and accept and respect that for this topic there are different and opposing views. What I put forward was that Taiwan, at the least can bring resonable doubt to what China is trying to assert , which is they should have a mandate to invade Taiwan.

I have agruing from a Taiwanese veiwpoint..
The communist government have never ruled Taiwan for a second.
There have been many occupying nations, Dutch, Japanese as well as China (Although not communist)
Taiwan has been self governing for over 50 years
The people of Taiwan do not want a Chinese government

I have been asking , and so far have yet to hear. What argument can be presented to justify China's stance that they should have a mandate to invade Taiwan.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 10:02 am
Michael_S wrote:

I have been asking , and so far have yet to hear. What argument can be presented to justify China's stance that they should have a mandate to invade Taiwan.

None. At least no rational reason. They could claim it's an island close to China and therefore they ought to own it but Honshu is also an island fairly close to China...

Or, they could claim that they are the legitimate govenrment of all Chinese people and therefore ought to govern the place.

It's basically a pure power play and nothing more. The real question is, can anybody protect Taiwan from China in perpetuity given Taiwan's location? It's not obvious to me that they can, which is why I'd like to have the alllback position of moving the Taiwanese people back somewhere either to our own island possessions or to that empty Northwest corner of Australia, and letting the chicoms have an empty island.
0 Replies

DestinyX

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:30 pm
Michael_S wrote:
Thank you for a great post DestinyX. I agree, there can be may interpretations and it may come down to semantics.

I am open and accept and respect that for this topic there are different and opposing views. What I put forward was that Taiwan, at the least can bring resonable doubt to what China is trying to assert , which is they should have a mandate to invade Taiwan.

I have agruing from a Taiwanese veiwpoint..
The communist government have never ruled Taiwan for a second.
There have been many occupying nations, Dutch, Japanese as well as China (Although not communist)
Taiwan has been self governing for over 50 years
The people of Taiwan do not want a Chinese government

In my point of view, the dispute between the two sides is just a dispute between the two governments, two political system within one state call China rather than a dispute between two independent states. Well, let me put in this way, in 197X the ROC withdrew from the UN, instead of ROC, the PRC took the seat of China. This in many Chinese point of views (actually my Chinese friends' views), is just the problem of what government is representing the country call China. So it's just the dispute between the two different governments or two political ideologies within one China. Plus if you have a look the stuff on the US department of state's website of independent states, http://www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/4250.htm , in there the note 3 mentions that "Note 3: With the establishment of diplomatic relations with China on January 1, 1979, the US Government recognized the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China and acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China."
I am not trying to argue that the PRC have not yet ruled the Taiwan or what so ever is not true. so, what i am suggesting is like what it mentioned in the Note 3 "the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China", which is that the communist PRC is the ruling government and it is representing the international role of China rather than saying the PRC is a independent state which including Taiwan.
Hence, my point is quite clear, whether the PRC or ROC are just problems of what government is representing the country call China. (so, ROC government is a successor of the Ching's imperial government, then PRC government is a successor to the ROC government, is that what it call dynasty in China?)

For your argument about the justify stance for mainland China to invade Taiwan, i think since the issue is the creation of the Chinese civil war, and the two sides have not yet decalared the end of war, plus the example of the American civil war (so what justify stance supported the Republican north to invade the Democrats south then?), i guess those what yet support PRC's points as "internal affairs".

i would like to add a point, the majority of Taiwanese do not want the PRC government but not the term Chinese government, since their own ROC government is a Chinese government anyway. The Taiwanese independence movement came from many reasons but not yet the dominant notion of Taiwan.

Anyway, military solution is not the right solution to the issue, I still insist that since the issue was raised by the Chinese themselves, it should be solved by the Chinese people of both sides.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:17 pm
Quote:
With the establishment of diplomatic relations with China on January 1, 1979, the US Government recognized the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China and acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China."

What about England and France? Does England belong to France as well?

Better yet, suppose Hitler gets reincarnated, unifies Germany and France into one country, gets rid of the French language (no great loss), and instills in the French the will to power (like the idiots running Beijing have) and teaches them how to goose-step instead of walking around looking for illicit sexual affairs all the time.

Would this New super-european state own England because of the location?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:22 am
DestinyX thank you.
Your posts basically express my point.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:32 am
Michael: I strongly oppose any reckless intention to launch a war. And fortunately the war (or merely crisis)is unlikely to happen right now (particularly compared to one year before). Evidence: Chen Shui Bian's Waterloo of the legislature election; the current poll about Lian's visit to mainland which suggest positive sentiment in the island; US government's support to Kuomintung and opposition against the independent movement....

The best prospect I can envision is the Strait remaims in peace and harmony and stability and communication in 30-50 years. Now the opportunity for China and Asia is so rare that we shouldn't let any negative elements to disturb it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:44 am
I'm sure that if the Taiwanese people want to become part of China they can vote to do so.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:50 am
Sure, they are lucky...
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:04 am
DestinyX, thank you for putting forward the argument from China's perspective. While noting a couple of comments..

Quote:
i guess those what yet support PRC's points as "internal affairs"

Quote:
note 3 mentions that "Note 3: With the establishment of diplomatic relations with China on January 1, 1979, the US Government recognized the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China and acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China."

Quote:
I still insist that since the issue was raised by the Chinese themselves, it should be solved by the Chinese people of both sides

I often think of a quote by Edmund Burke
Quote:
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."

I have no particular love for any govrnment including my own British government. Politicians are motivated by money, power not (with a few noteable exceptions ) by a love of the people.

While you say
Quote:
Hence, my point is quite clear, whether the PRC or ROC are just problems of what government is representing the country call China

This is part of the problem. The PRC are not representing the people of Taiwan. In fact as was made evident with the SARS outbreak. The PRC prevented members of WHO travelling to Taiwan to aid the sick and dying and they oppose Taiwan membership to WHO even as an observer status, such is thier paranoia that Taiwan be regarded as a separate state.

China would like nothing more than the international community turn thier backs, lured by investment oportunities , pacified perhaps by claims that they could take Taiwan without much structual damage (assuring foriegn investors that thier bussnesses and manufacturing wont suffer).
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:50 pm
Michael_S wrote:
Your comment about me was a bit beastly.. a bit like your name which is an anagram of CAT RAM PIG, could this be where you get your humour from?

Ah...huh? Did you mean my comment about you being Michael Shumacker (can't spell the name)? You know, the german guy who won formula one four or five times - I just noticed your initials, is all. Sorry if you found it beastly.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:07 pm
gungasnake wrote:
and letting the chicoms have an empty island.

...and then if there is another civil war in some other country they can run over to this empty island formally known as Taiwan and then we'll have another dispute over whether that island is part of the original country those ppl were from... :wink:
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:20 pm
Oh, It hadn't occured to me that you had unintentionally misspelt the word. My bad Embarrassed The misspelling gave me two possibilites only one was the well respected driver, the other is quite unpleasent, so I had a little word play myself.

Anyway, were back on topic. Ask you a question,

DestinyX had noted
Quote:
1979, the US Government recognized the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government of China and acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China."
In fact this position has been reiterated many times since

And yet the U.S. (Bush to be exact) a couple of years back stated
Quote:
the United States would do "whatever it took to help Taiwan defend herself."

What do you think America's position is (a) politically and (b) in reality , and are these 2 things the same?
0 Replies