PM restrictions

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 02:10 pm
So when we CAN send a pm, how will we know? Will there be a pop up message or what?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 04:38 pm
HickoryStick wrote:
So when we CAN send a pm, how will we know? Will there be a pop up message or what?

Just keep trying till it goes through I guess.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 07:53 pm
HickoryStick wrote:

For two years after I had registered here I was able to send PM. I was asked, in a PM, by the Administrators of these boards to be a contributor to the Portal and I accepted. I contributed a lot of informations. Then one day I notice that I was not able to send PM anymore. After seeing that message : Access to PMs is given to users after a period of good standing during which they have been active members of the community. I asked the help desk why I was denied the right to send PM even though I was a big contributor on the Portal, I was told that being a contributor was not considered being an active members. I found this quite insulting and still do. Evil or Very Mad

I guess that you have to make thousands and thousands of posts for being considered a good standing member.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 08:03 pm
caramel wrote:
HickoryStick wrote:

For two years after I had registered here I was able to send PM. I was asked, in a PM, by the Administrators of these boards to be a contributor to the Portal and I accepted. I contributed a lot of informations. Then one day I notice that I was not able to send PM anymore. After seeing that message : Access to PMs is given to users after a period of good standing during which they have been active members of the community. I asked the help desk why I was denied the right to send PM even though I was a big contributor on the Portal, I was told that being a contributor was not considered being an active members. I found this quite insulting and still do. Evil or Very Mad

I guess that you have to make thousands and thousands of posts for being considered a good standing member.

Same here. I think someone goofed and doesn't have the guts to admit it. Why on earth remove the PM rights of someone who has never done anything wrong?

I find it comical that they use the excuse that we may spam but in the next breath say that we have to have a certain number of posts in order to be granted this privilege. Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

And now in your case, it seems to be that certain posts don't count?

Too strange.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 08:27 pm
Magginkat wrote:
Same here. I think someone goofed and doesn't have the guts to admit it. Why on earth remove the PM rights of someone who has never done anything wrong?

I find it comical that they use the excuse that we may spam but in the next breath say that we have to have a certain number of posts in order to be granted this privilege. Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

And now in your case, it seems to be that certain posts don't count?

Too strange.

Exactly, I guess that they want quantity and not quality.

It's also comical that while I concentrated on contributing to the Portal I wasn't posting on the boards and since I wasn't posting on the boards my posts count wasn't going up. And because I had a low post count I wasn't considered an active member and they then took away my right to PM!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure. Confused
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 08:34 pm
They can, and will, take away anything they feel like.

I got a timeout for "uncivility" after being repeatedly called a racist and a bigot for opposing illegal aliens using our border for track practice. Oh well.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:12 pm
Behind them trees is a whole lotta forrest.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:24 pm
I tell ya - it's really hard to get back the gift to send a PM
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:33 pm
Quote:
I have almost 400 posts on this site, but can receive, but not reply to member PM. These members probably think I am a complete jerk, who will not respond to them.

>Sniffle~Sniffle< You get pm's? LOL, I haven't had a pm in months! Don't I feel unloved........ Embarrassed
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:04 am
timberlandko wrote:

And deep within that "forrest" is a whole lotta bullschitt! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:39 am
timberlandko wrote:

I love it when timber's being discreet. Cool
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:42 am
So A2K is secretly owned by the Bubba Gump Shrimp Corporation?

Like peas and carrots...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:52 am
Peas and carrots.

That's what I tell Set I think they're bellowing, when I hear opera.

<try>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:37 pm
Hello.

I will explain as I see apparently there is a belief that I'm not reading this topic. I am.

The ability to send PMs, as stated before, was changed from 0 posts to a number higher than that (and no, I am not going to give out that number, or hint around at it, except to state that it is not thousands and thousands of posts) because of spammers who were using the PM system. Therefore, it was changed for everyone. It was not done because you (I will not mention names) had done anything wrong or anything right. It was changed for everyone.

I am sorry that it affected people who were able to send PMs before, but that's how it goes. And no, it was not a goof. There was a lot of spamming going on. You do not see it, but I do. And so measures were taken. As the site gets larger and larger, there are more and more spammers and we deal with them as best we can and we often get to that stuff long before any of you see it. That is our intention -- that you see as little spam as possible, preferably none. We are not in the business of providing free services for spammers.

And yes, I am well aware that the particular people who are posting here are not spammers. And I realize that you feel insulted by having this rule applied to you but insult was not intended. The rule was applied to all, across the board, because we are not playing favorites. The newbie in your midst is not necessarily a spammer. The old-time member isn't necessarily, either. But both are treated more or less the same for the purposes of the PM restrictions.

As has been noted before, the PM restrictions are based upon an algorithm, it is time spent on the site (as in your join date) plus a minimum number of posts. That number changes in order to foil spammers. It is not intended to inconvenience you, it is intended to inconvenience them. This is our solution to this problem. I am, again, sorry if it offends you, but offense was not meant. And no, even with offense, the rule is still not going to change.

I will also add that posting and posting like crazy, in order to bring post count up in order to get PM privileges, will get your PM privileges revoked. That is also our rule, and that one's not going to change, either.

Thank you for reading this post.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:53 am
Let me ask this to anyone out there::::

Is there anyone currently ABLE to send PMs? Has anyone qualified? Does the ALGORYTHM work?

Why is this the only forum that offers PM ability and yet denies it to all?

Andy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:38 am
Dear Andy CWS,

I kindly suggest that you read the above post by jespah - and perhaps some of the previous posts as well.

By the way: this forum wasn't created for sending PM's (there are numerous messengers out, which certainly will do better), but some hundreds (or thousands) members can send PM's. And do, as I can witness since 3003 until today.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:45 am
I always suspected Walter was from the future.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
Mygog: I'm thousand years younger than I feared ... :wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:54 am
Shite - I accidentally clicked something and now I'm getting notices about this being a Watched Topic. Walter, somebody - how do I get that off? I never watch topics and don't know how to undo it!

Thanks!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:58 am
See turn off email updates at the near top right of this page.
0 Replies