0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 04:48 pm
and i'm not mad big bunny! lol
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:22 pm
Re: PM restrictions
OK, I have another question about PM's, pleez: I have 2 PM's listed in my box, but whenever I try to click on them, the window dies, and I have to log in again. I can never open the PM's. Is the PM restriction not merely on SENDING but also on RECEIVING PM's? If so, would the folks who sent me the PM's pleez send me their messages again using my email: ke*in*[email protected] (remove the asterisks, tho). Many thanx!
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:46 pm
PM restrictions
jespah wrote:
...If you would prefer not to wait, you may post an email address on your profile. This need not give away any personal information -- you can open a free Yahoo or Hotmail account, for example, with your A2K username...

Thank you!

Jespah, I understand that we can put an email contact address in our profile. But there is an element of risk involved by using email. This isn't the case with private messaging. As as result, only a tiny percentage of people in the forums are willing to contact each other by email.

I've been at the stage of "Enthusiast", for a bit. Could you or someone else please tell me at which stage do I qualify?

* Seasoned Member?
* Veteran Member?
* Guru in Training?

Is it possible to get a *pin-pointed* idea as to when I can expect this feature?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:00 pm
If it hasn't been mentioned, you might put your email in profile but use AT instead of the @. The bots won't pick it up, but most people will. Those that don't, you probably don't want to corrospond with, anyway.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:01 pm
Last year about this time I got a scathing PM from a altie named SandWitch. Not a problem though. I don't post nearly as often as I used to so the PM thing doesn't bother me all that much. The majority of PM's I received have all been friendly, some even personally helpful to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:11 pm
PoetSeductress - I gather, from years of use, that the powers that be here don't give inquirers a clue re when pm privileges are available, since that would be a direct clue to spammers. There is a lot more involved in running a site without it being shut down by incrediblyincessant spamming than most of us dream of.

The implication is not that you or other serious newbies are apt to spam, but not an implication, a reality, that spammers target certain goals.

Please don't be offended - you will, I don't doubt, get pm privileges eventually.

I'm not a moderator, just speaking from observation.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:55 pm
not too far from the conversation.. but..

another forum that hubby and I use, was hacked 2 days ago.
It was a pay forum as well.. >sigh<
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:14 am
PoetSeductress wrote:
jespah wrote:
...If you would prefer not to wait, you may post an email address on your profile. This need not give away any personal information -- you can open a free Yahoo or Hotmail account, for example, with your A2K username...

Thank you!

Jespah, I understand that we can put an email contact address in our profile. But there is an element of risk involved by using email. This isn't the case with private messaging. As as result, only a tiny percentage of people in the forums are willing to contact each other by email.

I've been at the stage of "Enthusiast", for a bit. Could you or someone else please tell me at which stage do I qualify?

* Seasoned Member?
* Veteran Member?
* Guru in Training?

Is it possible to get a *pin-pointed* idea as to when I can expect this feature?

Helfino.

I'm serious, I have no idea. The algorithm changes on occasion and I don't keep track of it.

And, osso is right, revealing such information publicly is catnip for spammers. This is why I don't, personally, want to know about it -- I don't even want to accidentally hint at anything.

PS I have several throwaway email accounts. They're easy to get, and free. Just designate one for A2K and accept that it's probably going to get a bit of spam. That's the only risk I see -- that you might get some spam. If I'm missing something, tell me, but I just don't see any other risks with posting a freebie, anonymous email address.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:45 am
I have an account that I use only for A2K. Since I have never subscribed to anything on this account, I NEVER get any spam.

Now my Yahoo account is something else. I opened that one when I first got a computer 7 years ago. At the time, I was like a kid in a candy store, and subscribed to anything and everything that I could get my hot little hands on. As a result, I was getting spam up the wazoo. Recently though, Yahoo has become more proactive in dealing with spam, so I am getting much, much less.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:47 pm
jespah wrote:
...PS I have several throwaway email accounts. They're easy to get, and free. Just designate one for A2K and accept that it's probably going to get a bit of spam. That's the only risk I see -- that you might get some spam. If I'm missing something, tell me, but I just don't see any other risks with posting a freebie, anonymous email address...

To everyone and jespah, I very much appreciate your helpful explanations.

I've recently put a Yahoo! email address just for A2K in my profile, so that will have to do, for the time being.

Thank you. Smile
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:52 pm
Quote:
...or unwanted propositions.

I'm not real fond of that idea.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:51 pm
PM restrictions
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Quote:
...or unwanted propositions.

I'm not real fond of that idea.

Laughing Gus, are you saying you would like some unwanted propositions?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:12 am
If you write the email address without the @ it will reduce the auto responses you get from bots etc

as in Dadpad at Gmail.com
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:18 pm
Ok I'm confused. I have checked my profile in the past to put one of my email address' in there... I didn't see a spot to do it. I still don't. So I read phoenix's post about it and checked her profile out of curiosity and do not see the email address she is talking about. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Or am I just not looking in the right place?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:59 pm
hephzibah,

. . . . . http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4297/where29kh.jpg

Treya

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 12:22 am
Thank you. I didn't realize it was ok to put it there... Why then is there a slot under contact information on our profile to put an email address? See:

Contact Region Philbis
E-mail address:
Private Message:
MSN Messenger:
Yahoo Messenger:
AIM Address:
ICQ Number:

It Just seems logical to me that if on the profile under "contact so and so" it shows a slot for an email address there ought to actually be a slot on your edit profile to put an email address in... Just a thought... LOL
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 12:34 am
good question.
i haven't the foggiest idea...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 12:37 am
Darn... *shrugs* Thanks for trying to answer my question anyway...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:39 am
I guess I'll try putting my email in the member description...
0 Replies