PM restrictions

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:46 am
Is there a way to anonymously donate to A2K? I think I asked this before and the answer was no.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
Magginkat wrote:
Jespah, I do have my email listed in my profile. If you can't see it maybe that is part of the problem.

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4626/magginkatprofile9ze.jpg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
cj, seems to me you could make a new account and donate under that account, and no one other than a2k staff would know it's you. i know it bugged me when i donated and thought i was *outed* accidentally by another subscriber, but then i found out there's a subscriber's list that non-subscribers can look at.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
Magginkat wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Some sorta disconnect going on with folks upset about a particular feature having restrictions on a free-to-use website; no matter what anybody gets around here, by and large, they get more than they pay for.

As predictable as the sun rise! And before I got a chance to finish my post!

What is predictable is that every so often someone will gripe quite angrily about pm access on a2k. Most of the people who complain about the mechanism for pm access take the matter quite personally, and it is probable that those people wouldn't spam with pms or with new posts. But massive spam attacks do happen at a2k, both in new posts and pms, and this system helps to ward off at least a lot of the spams by pm.

And, most of the people who gripe rudely without understanding the circumstances of the need for a site to protect itself against spam in general are also people who are amazingly unappreciative of all the effort that goes into giving them a free website to post at, whatever their political views or religious or other views, within TOS boundaries.

I'm not a moderator. I'm just someone who has been here quite a while, posted a lot, and have seen vigourous spam attacks happen.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:50 am
timberlandko wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
Jespah, I do have my email listed in my profile. If you can't see it maybe that is part of the problem.

I have checked and rechecked my profile and my email address is there.

I have no idea why you can't see it and I see nothing in my profile that I can make it visible to you if you can't already see it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 11:59 am
It isn't there:

http://i2.tinypic.com/rjl6l2.jpg
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:02 pm
I don't know what to tell you Walter. It's in my profile when I checked to see if I needed to update it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:05 pm
Maybe it's where you're putting it?

When you are editing your profile there is a section right under your username that says "email address". That one, as I understand it, isn't shown publically. (At least mine isn't.)

Looking at the profile page, I'm not sure exactly where you DO fill in the email address to make it show.

One thing you can do is just put it in the "member description" field. Something like, "I don't have PM privileges yet, but you may contact me at [your email address]."
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:09 pm
sozobe wrote:

When you are editing your profile there is a section right under your username that says "email address". That one, as I understand it, isn't shown publically. (At least mine isn't.)

Looking at the profile page, I'm not sure exactly where you DO fill in the email address to make it show.

One thing you can do is just put it in the "member description" field. Something like, "I don't have PM privileges yet, but you may contact me at [your email address]."

Beats me Sozobe,

I just added one of my web site addresses and it shows.

I don't think that most people who are trying to send me a PM would bother to read my profile. They just click on the PM button which of course does not tell them anything.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:10 pm
Magginkat - look at one of your own posts and click on the profile button under it - that will show you what other people see when they look at your profile (vs. what you see when you go to your profile from the top of the page).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:12 pm
That's a good suggestion, Soz - listing an email address in the User Description section. I'm gonna apologize to Magginkat right now, 'cuase it seems to me, now that I think about it, the member email field was changed a long time ago to not display when another member viewed a member's profile, and to not appear below a membewr's signature box - it was a general privacy/security thing, if I recall correctly, brought on by some inappropriate related nastiness. Sorry, Magginkat - my bad.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
Right, timber: emails aren't shown. (Sorry, too!)

The second fiel in 'profile' gives the only possibities which are visible in public.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 02:04 pm
Magginkat wrote:
Jespah, I do have my email listed in my profile. If you can't see it maybe that is part of the problem. It's always been there. I use Gmail, not my primary email, for that reason. You have been responding to me at my email address. I changed this to GMail when I was interrupted by Hurricane Ivan and have not had any other address since then. I left it with GMail because I never knew when another Hurricane would again disrupt & force me to move, thereby another email change.

I repeat.... I did not know that you had a test forum so therefore I did not use it. I have never posted there.

I don't have two accounts. I simply notified you that I had changed my email address, period.

I never tried to count... never had any reason to count. I accepted your numbers as accurate until this recent reduction. I do know that my account went to zero after the email address change. I didn't give it much thought at the time because I didn't know that it would change the entire account.

I do know that when another friend brought up the subject, after my address change, and I tried to PM the first time, I discovered that I could not. At that time I had well over 400 posts.... according to your figures posted next to my name.... not any counting on my part. I have no way of knowing if any of my posts have been pulled since I don't keep a record like that. I just know that the numbers you show by my name have changed and it has been a rather large change because I know that I have continued to post & the count has decreased not increased.

I'm sorry. I have never bothered to learn about how to spam in the methods you mention since it was of no interest to me, other than trying to avoid it in my own mail box.

I have been very careful not to trample on your TOS as I noticed from the beginning that a certain political party had an abundance of favoritism or at least the appearance since that party is allowed to insult, attack , etc., with no apparent restrictions, yet I have seen one friend banned because he apparently responded in kind. The favored party member was not banned.

Watch this thread and if things go as they normally do a couple of the select few will turn up to make snide comments about my posts.

I don't know who your moderators are other than now I know that you are one. I have never, to my knowledge, had any run-ins with you so I have no reason to believe that you would do anything like this. My opinion of you has always been that you are a great person and I have enjoyed your posts.

I don't know that any person did this on purpose. I am assuming it is a software glitch.

I do know that the number shown has been substantially reduced. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this reduction.

Of course those who have posted thousands of posts are not going to miss a few but for those of us who are not so prolific it makes a difference and a very frustrating one.

Personally, I would think that a 4 yr membership shows that I have no intention of spamming and makes more sense than counting posts. I see some people here that I would consider spammers because they seem to think they have to respond to every single post in a topic.

And by the way, it still makes no sense to me as to why anyone would want to spam via PMs. It seems like it would be a tedious project at the very least.

Magginkat wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Beats me Sozobe,

I just added one of my web site addresses and it shows.

I don't think that most people who are trying to send me a PM would bother to read my profile. They just click on the PM button which of course does not tell them anything.

soz is correct.

The email field is invisible for everyone on the boards (BTW, yes, I can see it, but it's because I am a Site Administrator). Again, this is to prevent you from getting spammed and it is hardcoded. In order for people to see your email address, you need to put it into the description portion of your profile. It need not be the exact same email address you used to sign up for A2K. If you have a different email address, use that one if you like.

If you click on my name, for example, you won't see an email field, either, but you do see a profile field where I talk about whatever the heck I talk about (can't recall).

I still have no idea re a post count reduction but I have checked and nothing has been pulled. I assume it is the software issue that was mentioned by Craven de Kere. No one on the Moderating Team is out to reduce your post count or, for any reason, favor one political ideology over another. We do not. The Moderating Team has people of varying interests and opinions. We work together as a team. If you think we're favoring one side or another, we aren't -- but if you really think so, send a note to the Help Desk and I assure you I will look into it. It is my job to (among other things) manage the Moderating Team and if they are not doing their jobs properly, then I want to know about it, in detail.

Re the spamming thing -- it is not that we are worried about you, per se, it's because we have been spammed in the past. This is a hardcoded setting for everyone. I'm sorry, but I cannot change it. Like I have said before, it is not tenure at the site (for the most part), rather, it is post count. I am not going to spell this out in excruciating detail on the public boards. I am sorry that a software glitch apparently caused you to lose ground in this area. But it was not deliberate. No one is trying to keep you from eventually getting PM privileges. You'll get them, don't worry.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 02:46 pm
timberlandko wrote:
That's a good suggestion, Soz - listing an email address in the User Description section. I'm gonna apologize to Magginkat right now, 'cuase it seems to me, now that I think about it, the member email field was changed a long time ago to not display when another member viewed a member's profile, and to not appear below a membewr's signature box - it was a general privacy/security thing, if I recall correctly, brought on by some inappropriate related nastiness. Sorry, Magginkat - my bad.

Thanks Timber,

I just fell off my chair.....Timer apologizing?!! Pardon me while I go get that broken arm fixed!

Seriously I was driving myself nuts this morning checking and double checking to see if I was missing something that prevented my email symbol from displaying.

On some other forums you are offered the option of displaying an email address...or not.

Thanks to you too Walter. At least I can quit looking for that feature.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
Magginkat wrote:

Thanks Timber,

I just fell off my chair.....Timer apologizing?!! Pardon me while I go get that broken arm fixed!

Mr. Green The occasion doesn't come up all that often, but when it does, timber isn't hesitant to acknowledge error Mr. Green
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 03:43 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Magginkat wrote:

Thanks Timber,

Mr. Green The occasion doesn't come up all that often, but when it does, timber isn't hesitant to acknowledge error Mr. Green

I'm going to copy this one and frame it! Now when do you think you will admit that you were wrong about King George? Smile Smile Twisted Evil
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 03:58 pm
Magginkat wrote:
Now when do you think you will admit that you were wrong about King George? Smile Smile Twisted Evil

Twisted Evil If and when such a happenstance ever should occur, feel free to call it to my attention, and we'll see what we can do about it. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:09 am
So how long does one have to be a member here before having PM privelages?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:30 am
HickoryStick wrote:
So how long does one have to be a member here before having PM privelages?

Tenure is but one component of the algorithm - that's discussed Here.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:33 am
timberlandko wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
Now when do you think you will admit that you were wrong about King George? Smile Smile Twisted Evil

Twisted Evil If and when such a happenstance ever should occur, feel free to call it to my attention, and we'll see what we can do about it. Twisted Evil

Your wrongs or george's??
0 Replies