Technology will not save you!

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:26 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I'm not sure I'm amking any point. I agree with everything you say, and when I say that "good things happen when you're getting rid of money" it is with exactly the meaning you suggest in your post. I just thought it was a curious way to put it.

One point, though, is that money is a means, not an end. Many people tend to forget that...

I guess we are in agreement then. Some people tend to preach the "money is the root of all evil" mantra, and I've always found that view to be more dogmatic than enlightened.

From a societal point of view, I've always been more interested in the difference between the accumulation of wealth, and the flow of wealth. For example, is it better to *have* a billion dollars, or to have a billion dollars *flow through your posession* and be converted into your choices.

Accumulation is good as a buffer against a rainy day, but excessive accumulation can stop the flow, and I think it's the *flow* of capital which benefits society and individuals. Instead of accumulating wealth, I think people should seek to place themselves into larger and larger flows of capital, and to direct those flows in ways which they seem most beneficial (either to themselves, others, or both).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:34 am
Laughing "One who died owin' a million prolly had a lot more fun than one who died leavin' a million" Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:51 am
Quote:
I'd like to pose a question, especially to those who have no reservations in contributing to this landslide of material wealth, and the question is simple:

What do you hope to get out of it?

? I guess I don't quite understand the question.

I mean, I carry a folding knife in my pocket every day. That's technology.

And a lighter. That's technology.

Electronic devices are just the logical extension of man's predilicition for tool usage from the beginning of our history. I suspect someday a descendant of mine will carry a pocket laser (actually I have a laser pointer myself, hah) and a variable knife everywhere he goes.

I recently saw an article about a Japanese company who has figgered out how to use the body's electrical field as a 10mbps network:

http://www.lostcoders.net/index-single-1368.htm

Soon changing info will be as easy as shaking a hand. Truly an interesting time to be alive.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:59 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
... Truly an interesting time to be alive.

Indeed. In fact,

http://www.badmovies.org/tvshows/startrek/spock.jpg

FASCINATING
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:03 am
Technology creates an automatic knock on effect of 'progress', its rare nowadays for people to carry money about with them or hoard it in biscuit tins for example. It might be classed as part of our evolutionary progress? The various governments are obliged to encourage the regular use of spending, they do this quite well. The media is conditioning us to spend ! spend ! spend ! Keeping up with the Jones's The kids won't entertain being seen on the streets without the latest designer embroidered clothing and footwear, to say nothing of the base-ball hats. Even the rinse coloured poodles in London support designer winter jackets and ridiculous fluffy bootees. Where is it leading us, that has to be the important issue?
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:36 am
Cyclo

Yes, but Hiroxima was also technology. Bombs in Irak are technology. Plains crashing over buildings in New York: technology. An almost poisoned planet: technology.
An useless laser in your pocket: technology.

From this point of view, I think we can better understand Cyracuz question.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:13 am
Shoes are technology also. I am not talking about pocketknives and lighters. These are merely trinkets. But if you have seventeen lighters, one to go with each outfit you own, three cars, computers with enough cpu to hijack the whole internet, then you should probably ask yourself what you need.

I have a person in my life who has to have the biggest most expensive stuff that's out there. I bought a pentium 2,8, and then he had to go buy a 3,2. He had to have more. I bought 1024 ram, and he went and bought more lest I match him.

I use my cpu for making music, and I need every little shred of capacity my computer can summon. I bought it according to my needs.

This fellow I told you about, all he does with the computer is to access the internet, download music and videos, and look at them.

My point is, as it has been for may threads the past time, that there is a difference between fabricated needs and true needs. The ocean of matelial wealth we're bathing in makes this difference hard to spot.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:25 am
Cyracuz, why do you "need" to make music? Can't you catch fish with your bare hands?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:48 am
Eorl, what is your job? Don't you need to do it? Music is my job, and though I've made almost no money on in so far that is about to change. I've been hired as a guitarist, to play on a record and to tour our country. All my life I've sown the seeds, and now I can start reaping the benefits.

I cannot catch fish with my bare hands, no, but there are some trees here, in wich I am sure I'd find the neccesary tools to catch one. Smile
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:30 pm
I also need computers and I also make music with and without them, and I do ok thanks.

I think you saw my point though....that "need" is a very relative term. I think the desire to have better faster nicer things is one of the forces that drives mankind in it's present direction (forward I think??) Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:38 am
We may be going forward, but the trajectory is a loop, and it's growing ever smaller.

But yes, I saw your point. Need is a highly relative term.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:57 pm
agreed Cyracuz. And good luck with the new gig. What kind of music?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:34 am
Thanks. The music is pop/rock with a twist of country to it. But I was hired for my more experimental affinities. No telling what may come of it. So far it's very exciting. Smile
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:09 am
timberlandko wrote:
While its true money won't buy happiness, with it you can lease a good bit of entertainment.

I think the mistake that is made is that money cannot get you ANY happiness.

This is wrong - and the virtue ethicists never argued against it.

Epicurus thinks that you need food water and shelter to be happy - and ofcourse he is right. It is also natural to want upgrades on these base things - like decent food a nicer house and the like.

However, if your highest good is set on technology or gadgets - you will be miserable in the long run. Your overall mental anxiety will be outweighed by your aggagate good.

TTF
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:35 am
Technology = convenience, that money can buy.
I buy certain gadgets to simplify my life, seriously. Wink

Buying a coffee machine where I need to press one button
only to get a good cup instantly, is worth the expense, as
it saves me enormous time in the morning.

Having a flat LCD TV gives me a better picture, saves space
and is better on my eyes.

Buying a new computer every 3 years saves me the hassle
of upgrading and what not.

Having a "turbo" vacuum with the latest technology saves
not only time during vacuum sessions, it also has a dust control and other allergy save tools.

And so on and so on..... for me technology is definitely convenience and a time saver.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm
CJ wrote:
technology is definitely convenience and a time saver

So's a maid service :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:27 pm
timber, in additon to that Wink
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:22 pm
Technology isn't a new thing. Computers might be, but we've always had ways of making things easier.

And as for why we need money - it's not that he who dies with the most toys wins, it's that he who lives with the most toys wins.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:17 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2005/lectures.shtml
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 05:58 am
That's interesing fresco. I very much enjoyed the last link you put up from that site. No time to read now however. Thanks.
0 Replies