Cook It Quick

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:31 am
Imagine it's 4 p.m. on a typical weekday. Do you know what you're having for dinner tonight? A "Restaurants and Institutions" survey found about 70 percent of the adult U.S. population doesn't decide what to eat that night until 4 p.m. or later.

Well, actually I know what to cook some days before, since I'm doing this at two housholds, mother's and own, luch and dinner. And since I don't want to go shopping more than twice a week (plus going to the market), I could tell some days in advance, what will be on the table the next few days.

However, if you can't, the following site gives some some good help to prepare healthy foods in a hurry:

COOK IT QUICK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,412 • Replies: 3
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 11:35 am
Great site!
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:33 pm
Always keep some cream of rice in the cupboard. When you get hungry, cook up a small batch and drizzle a little butter on it. Depending on what your taste buds want either sugar or salt do the following:

Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top OR a little salt and/or Parmesan cheese. These toppings partially mix with the butter and the taste is light and pleasant. If you want no fat at all, put a little cooked fruit or fruit juice on top.

You can make up a larger batch and mold them in muffin tins until formed and then wrap them individually. They freeze well and you can take one out at a time and heat it up in the microwave.

This will keep your comfortable for another one to two hours especially if you are meeting people for dinner at 8pm and you have not eaten since noon.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:41 pm
I almost always know what I (or my husband) is going to make for dinner. When I was working full time, with three kids still at home, and three dogs to tend to, the only other thing I could have done was sit down and cried. I did a lot of cooking on weekends, always made at least two of everything (one for a meal; one for freezing). Almost always had a big pot of tomato sauce going. Another thing I learned to do was the prep work, which I would freeze in small batches - like in ice cube trays. Chopped onion, garlic, ginger, pepper, chicken soup, coffee. When I bought chopped meat, always bought enough to make meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf, stuffed cabbage.

Retired now, same habits. But I think the biggest thing, Walter, is that for me cooking has always been a pleasure, not a chore. I enjoy thinking about what I'm going to make, how to make it, doing it. Love reading cookbooks.

I found your link helpful, and thank you.
0 Replies