RIP Neil Simon, 91...

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 02:47 pm
Quote:
Neil Simon, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, dies at 91

Neil Simon, the playwright and screenwriter whose indestructible comedies -- including
"The Odd Couple," "Barefoot in the Park," "The Sunshine Boys" and "Brighton Beach Memoirs"
-- made him one of the most successful writers in American history, has died. He was 91.

The cause of death was complications with pneumonia, according to his publicist, Bill Evans.
Simon died around 1 a.m. Sunday at New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City.

A member of the famed "Your Show of Shows" writing staff for Sid Caesar, Simon was an
entertainment mainstay for more than six decades. Starting with his first Broadway success,
"Come Blow Your Horn" (1961), there was seldom a time when a Neil Simon work couldn't be
found on stage or screen (or, occasionally, television).
At one point, in the late 1960s, he had four shows on Broadway at once.

Even a partial list of his works summons the comic highlights of late 20th-century American
theater: "Barefoot in the Park." "The Odd Couple." "Sweet Charity." "Plaza Suite." "The Last
of the Red Hot Lovers." "The Prisoner of Second Avenue." "Brighton Beach Memoirs." "Lost in
Yonkers." "Laughter on the 23rd Floor."

And that's just for starters. Simon wrote more than 30 plays.

Add in his original screenplays -- such as "The Out-of-Towners," "The Heartbreak Kid," "The
Goodbye Girl" and "Seems Like Old Times" -- and one can get a sense of Simon's dominance.
(keep reading)

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 03:35 pm
This dude. The first writer I ever felt significant envy for. Significant.

Far down the line from deep respect.

He could conceive and write a character and a story like few others. He was hilarious and he made it look so easy.

Nice work, sir.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 06:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
What a talented guy.

RIP Mr. Simon

So many great memories of getting cheap cheap cheap seat tickets on Broadway to see his plays when I was a kid. This was a favourite from one of our crazy trips. (1968 - Maureen Stapleton/George C Scott/Bob Balaban)

https://judsontheatre.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Playbill-Stapleton-Porter-e1425602331266-200x300.jpg

Thanks to hamburgboy and mrs. hamburger for those great trips to New York.

this was our bible for where to get cheap tickets

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51GJl3psmtL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 03:40 am
Such a talented guy. Just a week ago, I bumped into this gathering of writers for the Sid Caesar show, one of whom was Simon.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 09:04 am
Brighton Beach Memoirs and Biloxi Blues are two of my absolute favorite movies and Simon was a genius in all he did. RIP.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 04:11 pm
The Odd Couple and Barefoot in the Park for me—close seconds to the funniest thing I’ve ever seen: The Out-of-Towners.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm
Quote:
@MelBrooks

Neil Simon was a clutch hitter. When we needed the punchline on Your Show of Shows he delivered. He also delivered 32 plays and over 20 movies. He was one of the sweetest & least jealous writers you could ever work with. For all who knew him, this is a truly sad day.
0 Replies