2
   

Trump: I know all about flipping.

 
 
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 12:03 am
Wiki explains "Flipping is a term used primarily in the United States to describe purchasing a revenue-generating asset and quickly reselling it for profit."

Does Trump mean the same thing here?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlVrXw4U8AAppvr.jpg
 
View best answer, chosen by oristarA
camlok
 
  0  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 01:41 pm
@oristarA,
Not anywhere near enough info to tell, Ori.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
  Selected Answer
 
  4  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 01:47 pm
@oristarA,
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/08/23/prosecutors-practice-getting-defendant-flip-key-tool-going-after-kingpin-experts-say/y0UOImgfle2LmRpaXcSenJ/story.html


Quote:
The practice of allowing criminal defendants to cooperate, or “flip,” and get reduced punishment in exchange for their testimony against others, which President Trump criticized on Wednesday, is a valuable, commonly used tool in a prosecutor’s tool box, experts say.


Quote:
getting people to cooperate and provide evidence against people higher up in criminal organizations has proven crucial in the pursuit of justice, experts say.
camlok
 
  3  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 01:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Considering Trump's current travails, Beth is obviously on the right track. Odd that this definition of flip didn't occur to me right away. My mind focused on flipping properties. Is that what Trump University was all about?
ehBeth
 
  4  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 01:52 pm
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17617712/michael-cohen-flip-mueller-investigation-trump

this article has a pretty good interview on how flipping works

ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 01:54 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
Odd that this definition of flip didn't occur to me right away.


probably has to do with what you read

there's a <cough> reasonable amount>cough> of crime fiction on my reading menu Smile

__

some of the headlines/cartoons have been having fun with the real estate defn mixed with the legal defn
0 Replies
 
oristarA
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 07:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you both.

ehBeth wrote:


Quote:
The practice of allowing criminal defendants to cooperate, or “flip,” and get reduced punishment in exchange for their testimony against others, which President Trump criticized on Wednesday, is a valuable, commonly used tool in a prosecutor’s tool box, experts say.


Quote:
getting people to cooperate and provide evidence against people higher up in criminal organizations has proven crucial in the pursuit of justice, experts say.



The problem is:

The two quotes appear to contradict each other.

The former refers to "flipping" as the practice of allowing criminal defendants to cooperate.
The latter refers to "flipping" as the practice of getting people to cooperate and provide evidence against people higher up in criminal organizations.

Because the "people higher up in criminal organizations" are exactly the criminal defendants who are being charged.

That is, the latter actually refers to "flipping" as "the practice of allowing criminal prosecutors to cooperate."

What's wrong here?

camlok
 
  3  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 07:34 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
The problem is:

The two quotes appear to contradict each other.

The former refers to "flipping" as the practice of allowing criminal defendants to cooperate.
The latter refers to "flipping" as the practice of getting people to cooperate and provide evidence against people higher up in criminal organizations.

Because the "people higher up in criminal organizations" are exactly the criminal defendants who are being charged.

That is, the latter actually refers to "flipping" as "the practice of allowing criminal prosecutors to cooperate."

What's wrong here?


I've read your argument, Ori, but I can't understand your confusion. It doesn't have to always be lower on the totem pole criminals/wrong doers turning against/flipping on higher ups though that is usually the case, because prosecutors want to convict the "brains" of the organization, which, they feel will have a greater negative impact on the gang, hopefully then to reduce crime.

flipping basically means going from a position of supporting someone to flipping/changing sides.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 08:57 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
That is, the latter actually refers to "flipping" as "the practice of allowing criminal prosecutors to cooperate."


people are cooperating with the prosecutors to get reduced sentences

it is not the prosecutors who are being made to cooperate
camlok
 
  2  
Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:08 am
@ehBeth,
I think that much could be gained by getting an insight into why Ori is confused. Languages have differences that may explain this.
oristarA
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:50 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

I think that much could be gained by getting an insight into why Ori is confused. Languages have differences that may explain this.


The problem might be that Trump says that is almost illegal. And I think that the context is that Trump is ready to get indicted...and so, isn't flipping good for him to get reduced punishment? Why would he say it is almost illegal? From your replies I've seen the context appears not clear.

Thank you both. Smile
camlok
 
  2  
Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 09:02 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
And I think that the context is that Trump is ready to get indicted...and so, isn't flipping good for him to get reduced punishment?


Perhaps you think that Trump can flip on others. The buck stops at the top guy. If and when there is a trial, no prosecutor would think of charging underlings and living the top dog free.

Quote:
Why would he say it is almost illegal?


It's his usual ignorance; he is trying to downplay flipping, making it seem a bad thing but he knows he can't come out and say it is or should be illegal. It has been part of the legal system for a good long time.

His big mouth, his idiocy will see him convict himself.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 09:58 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
And I think that the context is that Trump is ready to get indicted...and so, isn't flipping good for him to get reduced punishment?


the person who flips to help prosecutors get another criminal will get the reduced punishment. in this case, it seems it was Michael Cohen who flipped and whose punishment was reduced

0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:


oristar - read the vox article all the way through - it has a good explanation of flipping
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Is this comma splice? Is it proper? - Question by DaveCoop
Is this sentence grammatically correct? - Question by Sydney-Strock
Is the second "playing needed? - Question by tanguatlay
should i put "that" here ? - Question by Chen Ta
Unbeknownst to me - Question by kuben123
alternative way - Question by Nousher Ahmed
Could check my grammar mistakes please? - Question by LonelyGamer
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Trump: I know all about flipping.
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/15/2019 at 05:36:43