Where is the US economy headed?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 09:07 am
@parados,
Oh, we haven't even got into the myriad loopholes, or the fact that most of these people realize their income via Cap Gains taxes.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 09:07 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Ah.. but there must be RW math for that too.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 09:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
the capital gains is where I would start taxing more.

that won't ever happen, though...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 11:22 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

A continuing, and stunning, silence from parados & cyclo....

For someone that could only wait 4 minutes before posting that george, you have spent hours being silent on your math.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He is right, you are wrong as usual.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 01:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You are hopelessly confused; have several important facts wrong, notably including the current top Federal tax rate; and are quoting me as saying things I didn't say.

The state tax bill doesn't change at all in either scenario.

The Federal taxable income in reduced by the amount of the state tax paid in both scenarios.

Our millionaire will save some money on his constant state tax deduction with the new 70% federal marginal tax rate by an amount roughly equal to the difference in the new and old Federral rates times the magnitude of his state taxes - this works out to about 3% of his income. This appears to be the point you are fixated on.

However, 2/3rds of our millionaire's income will now be taxed by the Feds at 70% instead of the current rate, and that will amount to about 21% of his gross income. This is the point you are ignoring.

At these confiscatory tax rates, our millionaire's post tax income will be significantly increased by the move to Nevada.

Seeing this requires a bit of algebra and some actual independent thinking (as opposed to plugging some incorrect numbers into Turbotax, and getting your opinions from websites). You might wish to try it sometime.
spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 02:10 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
At these confiscatory tax rates, our millionaire's post tax income will be significantly increased by the move to Nevada.

If your m'airs are moving to Nev. that seem too obvious to need saying.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 02:54 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

You are hopelessly confused; have several important facts wrong, notably including the current top Federal tax rate; and are quoting me as saying things I didn't say.

The current top federal rate is 35%. There's no confusion about that. I also didn't quote you as saying anything you didn't say. If you can point out where I did - go ahead.

Quote:
Our millionaire will save some money on his constant state tax deduction with the new 70% federal marginal tax rate by an amount roughly equal to the difference in the new and old Federral rates times the magnitude of his state taxes - this works out to about 3% of his income. This appears to be the point you are fixated on.

I was fixated on it because you specifically claimed this wasn't true earlier. You claimed that tax rates were additive. I'm glad to see that you now admit that they are not.

Quote:
However, 2/3rds of our millionaire's income will now be taxed by the Feds at 70% instead of the current rate, and that will amount to about 21% of his gross income. This is the point you are ignoring.

No, George - once again, NOBODY has proposed raising the current top tax bracket to 70%. Thomas proposed creating a NEW top tax bracket starting at a million dollars of income. So our hypothetical million-dollar earner wouldn't pay a single penny extra in taxes under Thomas' new scheme than he pays today.

I'm really done explaining this point to you over and over again at this point - go back and actually try and read what people were saying!

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 07:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Seeing this requires a bit of algebra and some actual independent thinking (as opposed to plugging some incorrect numbers into Turbotax, and getting your opinions from websites). You might wish to try it sometime.

You mean actual algebra that you are unable to do? OR do you mean fictional algebra that has nothing to do with actual algebra as understood by mathematician around the world?

Quote:
As the actual algebra has shown the increase by moving to Nevada is only about a 10% increase in after tax earnings. Not the doubling you claimed.

It's funny how the math is pedantic when it doesn't show what you claim george.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 07:50 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

And your point is what? That he would avoid this by moving to Nevada?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 08:50 pm
@parados,
If Nevada was such a haven for millionaires, many will have moved there by now. It seems most millionaires prefer living where they have chosen to live regardless of the tax consequences - or the higher cost of living.
0 Replies

sumonht1990

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 04:33 am
@au1929,
i have a little idea about economy .but now the world economy is not good at all,. i think the main cause of economy fall down is interest based economy system.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:38 am
Obama's Spending Record: More Conservative Than Reagan's

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e20168e8f57e89970c-800wi

Sullivan captions:

Quote:
This is the kind of reality that makes Sean Hannity's head explode. So far, the GOP candidates have been running against a fictional president with a fictional record. Obama didn't campaign to increase government spending, but inheriting what was in the final quarter of 2008 an annualized contraction of 9 percent of GDP, he opted for a stimulus. That accounts for much of the spending.

I know we are supposed - along with Fox News - to have total amnesia about the spending record of George W. Bush, who had nothing like the recession Obama inherited to counter. But there it is. Along with the fact that of the last seven presidents, the top three spenders are all Republicans.

One worry I have about a president Romney is exactly such a scenario. He has proposed to slash all taxes and increase defense spending by a stupendous amount. He has yet to identify the massive cuts in discretionary and entitlement spending he would need not to explode the debt as his GOP predecessors have done in the modern era.

But if you're going by the records, and want fiscal restraint, you'd be crazy at this point to back a Republican, without examining the fine print in extreme detail. Pity there isn't any for Romney yet. Which tells you something in itself.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 11:03 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Those are the facts in a nutshell; Obama inherited the Great Recession from GW Bush, and most of his spending was to provide extended unemployment and tax cuts for the middle class.

The GOP believes in fiction no matter what the subject including women's health (destroy Planned Parenthood), $2.50/gallon gas price, Obama's worsening economy, and increasing the deficit.

No wonder our country's in trouble!

Also, no republican voted to approve the extension of the 1994 domestic violence act - that was approved under GW Bush in 2000 and 2005.

How these yokels are able to stay in congress is the biggest mystery.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's no mystery to me. They don't buy into your drivel.

They want to get rid of PP in order to improve women's health.
BillRM

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:14 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
They want to get rid of PP in order to improve women's health.

LOL...........
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:20 pm
@BillRM,
Read Ivan Illich's Medical Nemesis Bill.

And the World Health Organisation has just produced a report which confirms his basic theme.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 04:09 pm
@spendius,
What ci. does, all the time, is start from a self-granted proposition, that the PP is good for women's health. He then throws in various aspects on the circle and tries to confuse people that it isn't a circle.

And he never tries to prove the proposition the circle begins and ends with. It's a dogma we are all supposed to believe. And how can PP be good for women's health when they are promoting disturbances to the essential female biology?

Anybody who challenges the proposition is stuck on Ignore.
parados

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 04:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Read Ivan Illich's Medical Nemesis Bill.

Couldn't you find something from the Victorian time period to support your thesis rather than relying on something written in 1974 before much of the advent modern birth control and it's use?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 04:44 pm
@spendius,
essential female biology...

barefoot and pregnant?