Where is the US economy headed?

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:35 pm
Go Figure.
Stock markets surged today by 2% to 3% around the world.
Some attribute that to the belief that the EU countries may agree to some sort of centralized economic management. I cannot see that as being in the cards at all. Obama met with some EU officials today and suggested that the U.S. might be willing to help make things more stable. That would be politically suicidal.
Numerous analysts suggest that a collapse of the E.U. could be only a couple of weeks away. Perhaps that is hyperbole, but rising interest rates on government issued debt are not at all helpful.
The much hyped Black Friday through Cyber Monday numbers were also seen as encouraging. I am skeptical about that, as well. The dirty little truth is - in single syllable words is: Most Folks Have No Cash.
I heard anecdotal stories of folks working at stores getting sent home after the door busting surge ended after a few hours. We'll see.
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
The dirty little truth is - in single syllable words is: Most Folks Have No Cash.

I thought having no cash was illegal. Anybody who breaks the law gets cash shoved up their ass as a punishment.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:54 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I thought having no cash was illegal.

We call it being part of the 99% where I come from.

spendius

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
I really feel for you all rl. It must be terrible being American. Do people with guns force you to eat 10,000 calories a day, drive a minimum of 500 miles with in-car entertainment damaging your eardrums and watch NFL?

If I had more time I would write to the UN to highlight these terrible conditions you are being forced to endure.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:11 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If I had more time I would write to the UN to highlight these terrible conditions you are being forced to endure.

Please do when you find more time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
A one day economic boon in retail is nothing to rely on; not with the liquidity crisis in Europe, and the unstable politics of the US.

However, there is only one game in town for US investors; the US economy. Ya gotta have hope and trust in the US economy, because that's the only ball game in town. Look it all the money transfers into US bonds - even when the interest rates are the lowest offered in the world marketplace.

Balance in investments is the key for survival; buy low and sell high. Most are doing just the opposite out of fear.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:43 pm
This is a sick kind of funny.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The only serious game for investors is to cross their fingers. If everybody would accept that nobody has a ******* clue what to do we could at least make a start but when everybody thinks that they know what to do when nobody has the slightest ******* inkling then we have no chance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:16 pm
@spendius,
That's because your thinking is in with the majority; give up the ship - it's sinking!
spendius

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I didn't say that. I said that it was you lot with all your bright ideas that is the problem. Evolutionary forces will shove you to one side at some point.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 06:28 pm
@spendius,
Sorry, bub, you said,
Quote:
If everybody would accept that nobody has a ******* clue what to do we could at least make a start but when everybody thinks that they know what to do when nobody has the slightest ******* inkling then we have no chance.

There are some people with good credentials and credibility on economics who offer the best clues on how to improve the economy. You've already given up.
spendius

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 04:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
If you were capable of understanding my posts you would realise that I'm the only one who hasn't given up. You are confusing not having given up with ignorant rabbiting. You have been given up from the start by thinking that talking about it is doing something about it.

All you ever consider is your own interests and being popular with those who have similar ones. Pecuniary emulation and canons of good taste are psychological categories.

You think religious theology is a stand alone base point and it isn't. It's an economic policy.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 07:12 am
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 12:08 pm
@spendius,
It's no wonder your thinking is all screwed up! Your knowledge stems from drinking too much beer at the pub, and your limited circle of conversational companions. Your so-called extensive reading has not educated you on most issues - proven by how you use such mis-information.

Grow up! It's not about me.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 07:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
Actually, rather than the 99%, it should be the 80% because the bottom four quintiles have seen no real increase in their wages since 1979
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 04:10 am
@plainoldme,
I'm sure I can be off on my math but I think people are starting to get the point regardless.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:34 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Obama met with some EU officials today and suggested that the U.S. might be willing to help make things more stable. That would be politically suicidal.

He has no choice. The unsaid problem here in America is that our biggest banks are holding large amounts of Italian other EU country's debt. If they repudiate, or the Euro falls apart, it's not just Europe that will need a bailout.

If that happens - and I'm praying it doesn't - Obama had better nationalize our banks this time and kick out the fools running them completely, or I'm ******* done with the guy, and I say that as one of his biggest supporters.

Cycloptichorn
RABEL222

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks to the world economy our banks and our government have been screwing the majority of the U.S. citizens for 30 years. But hopefully the people have finally woke up to the fact that big business backed by banks and government have been exporting our jobs to foreign countries. But I am sure that they will reelect their favorite politician because they are too lazy to check up on the job he or she has done for them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 11:37 am
@RABEL222,
Yu're one of the few on these threads who understands the big picture in how our banks and government have screwed over the middle class.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 11:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
If that happens - and I'm praying it doesn't - Obama had better nationalize our banks this time and kick out the fools running them completely, or I'm ******* done with the guy, and I say that as one of his biggest supporters.

Well Cyclo--he isn't going to do it so you're actually done with him now. Always were.