Where is the US economy headed?

okie

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
As I have already said, I think that would depend upon other factors besides the listening to npr. I think it depends upon your foundational or core beliefs, as well as how naive you might be. I am not saying you are, you may not be, I am merely pointing out that some people are more influenced due to their own lack of convictions or core beliefs. I can listen to npr and not be influenced much, and after a while I merely give up on it as a waste of time and wish our tax dollars did not support the crap. Look, I am also not going to say everything they say is wrong or biased, but on balance I believe they bring a liberal bias to the stuff they discuss.

In fact, I think it is a bit naive to believe that there is any journalist or news item that is unbiased. Everybody has basic beliefs and biases, which they will bring to the table in the course of discussing an issue. The reason I favor conservative talk shows is because I am more likely to hear opinions that make more sense and are more logical in my opinion. For example, I believe Limbaugh is popular because he voices what his listeners believed already, before they started listening to him. Many people, including me, have been fed up with biased news for a very long time, and so it is refreshing to hear opinions that agree with us. The libs have it bass ackwards in regard to folks like Hannity and Limbaugh, most of their listeners do not listen because they have been swayed by their rhetoric, they listen because they have finally found people that agree with them and are reporting what they would consider more accuracy and truth about issues.

I think the reason conservative talk has boomed like it has, is because conservatism resonates with more people, because people are basically more conservative whether they vote that way or not. Example, I have a good friend that voted for Obama, but he is actually fairly conservative, we share many of the same values, but he fails to see that Obama is doing the exact opposite of what he thought he should do. Meanwhile, he hates Limbaugh, but he doesn't know what Limbaugh says on issues, and he actually agrees with Limbaugh but doesn't know it. I think it is a personality issue, where Limbaugh's ego comes across too strong for him. Most people live their lives in a conservative way to be successful. Also, conservatives enjoy listening to reason and logic. In contrast, liberals believe and behave due to emotions. For example, a liberal will endorse government programs if they are intended to supposedly help somebody, never mind the fact that the program does not work and might actually create more problems than it solved. Example the Great Society.
okie

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have never read that much bull for a long time, cyclops. How about the medical industry now, I would bet it is in a state of uncertainty for sure? As an investor, I am certainly staying away from that sector. I don't know what the sector is doing to tell you the truth, but I would be surprised if it is prospering. It might be possible for a savvy investor to make a killing in that type of atmosphere if he or she figures it out, but I sure would not try it. Maybe some of Obama's buddies might?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:41 pm
@okie,
And your bull about not investing in that industry is based on what knowledge?

Please provide details, because I don't have the slightest how you arrived at your conclusion.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:44 pm
Have any of yall taken the time to follow the IMF meetings in Washington this weekend rather than sniping at each other? Not looking particularly good, in my opinion.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 07:00 pm
@okie,
Thank you for sharing your honest opinion! I would have to say that our environment does dictate to us some what!
example if you lived in afghanistan you would most likely be a muslim and not a christian and even if you were a nonbeliever your culture would still have a influence on you.
example If you came from a family that had a very old tradition and alot of wealth and you inherited a plantation that consisted of 1,000 acres and 100 slaves you very well may have a hard time letting the slaves go free if a opposing force was trying to set them free, as these slaves are what makes your wealth!

We have to be open minded because our traditions are flawed and that is where our education has started from. Who knows If you had a lot at stake of loosing you may even pay a very smart man such as Rush Limbaugh to spread propaganda to try and persuade the stupid mass to think as you do and that it is best for them!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 07:34 pm
@okie,
I am sorry about that okie, You did already respond to my question! I was not paying close attention. Thanks
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:21 pm
The disturbing message out of the IMF meeting is "currency war."
Watch for that phrase to pop up on some of the talk shows Sunday.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 05:39 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

The disturbing message out of the IMF meeting is "currency war."
Watch for that phrase to pop up on some of the talk shows Sunday.

George Soros has warned that a global “currency war” pitting China versus
the rest of the world could lead to the collapse of the world economy.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
While China keeps the value of the yuan down, there are numerous other countries doing the same thing. Japan, Brazil, Isreal and the U.S. come to mind. Would you agree?
okie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And your bull about not investing in that industry is based on what knowledge?

Please provide details, because I don't have the slightest how you arrived at your conclusion.

It is based upon the knowledge that Obamacare will have consequences to the industry that we do not yet fully understand. Any time you have intrusions into a free market, such as government intrusion and interference, that industry will suffer unintended consequences, there is just no escaping it.

I have also posted this in the past, that I am not nearly as enthusiastic about investing into the energy industry as I am now with Obama being president. The reasons are clear and obvious, that Obama is anti-oil and gas, and he is also anti- coal. I believe oil and gas, and coal, have exceptional value long term as valuable resources in the ground, because they have proven themselves to be economical and efficient providers of energy, and energy is what drives economies all over the world. However, if I think there is any possibility that Obama and those that think like him will be able to punish or possibly even take over the energy industry in some way, I am not going to invest into the industry as a long term investment strategy.

Now, as I have pointed out in the past, if it increasingly looks like the Democrats will lose Congress this fall, thus neutering Obama's ability to legislate anti-capitalist and unfriendly policies toward business interests in this country, especially in certain business sectors, then I may be more inclined to invest, and I wonder if that is why we are beginning to see some movement in the markets lately. After all, the market responds greatly to future outlook, there is no doubt about it in my opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 02:56 pm
@okie,
okie, If you do not fully understand the consequences, how do you arrive at any conclusion about Obamacare?
roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 03:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
In order to import goods, China produces goods for export. This is not a bad strategy.

In order to import goods, the US prints (borrows) money. No comment on the strategy.
okie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 03:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

okie, If you do not fully understand the consequences, how do you arrive at any conclusion about Obamacare?

I am no different than most investors, ci, I hate it when there is more uncertainty than I prefer there to be.

Are you buying stocks in the medical industry now? How about others here?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 03:56 pm
@roger,
I can't agree with that, Roger.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 05:49 pm
@okie,
Whether I buy in the medical industry or not has no bearing on why you have made the conclusions you have about Obamacare.

Our retirement funds are doing just fine; I believe somewhat above average - even since 2007.
roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 06:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Why not? Are you solely blaming trade deficits on currency valuations?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Fine, but the following is an example of what I was talking about, ci. I see no reason to point out the obvious anymore, as I am sure there are those in the investment companies that study and analyze the situation in far more depth than we can do here. I merely made the simple and obvious point that government intervention into an industry affects investment decisions. And it strikes me as silly for anyone to argue that it does not.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Daily-Reports/2010/September/22/Medical-loss-ratio.aspx

"The failure to clearly define the key health law requirement that many insurers must spend at least 80 percent of premium dollars on health services has left investors tepid about health plan stocks and has complicated corporate decisions in the sector, Bloomberg reports."
roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:15 pm
@okie,
I recall that those insurance companies were big supporters of Obamacare, just because of the millions of policies we would be required to buy. Suddenly, they look like a bunch of chickens that just woke up and decided that Colonel Sanders wasn't such a good friend afterall. Kind of like the Business Roundtable.
okie

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:25 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
they look like a bunch of chickens that just woke up and decided that Colonel Sanders wasn't such a good friend afterall.

I like the analogy, roger!!!! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:46 pm
@okie,
And you believe Bloomberg has it right? Making a statement doesn't make it true. What makes it true is when evidence is shown that are factual to the claims made.

That's education 101, okie.