Where is the US economy headed?

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:00 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

cicerone,
You are demanding proof of a very widely accepted observation of statistical fact.

Your puny facts are no match for george's mighty collection of anecdotal observations!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The fact that many workers stay with the same company all their lives disproves the fact that "people work harder at lower tax rates." We have a very mobile society that changes jobs based on their desire to live at a certain location for job opportunities or climate, not because their taxes will change.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:52 am
@joefromchicago,
Unfortunately, Joe, no facts have yet been offered to establish the bland absurdity offered that high tax rates have no effect on how hard people work or the level of their entrepreneurial activity.

Cicerone (above) notes that the occurrence of lifelong occupation of a single job by some folks establishes the proposition. Do you buy that half-baked nonsense?

Many factors influence the energy, creativity and effort people put into economic activity, ... and into evading taxes if they can. The desire for gain and profit is prominent among those factors. Taxes directly reduce those gains.

We do have the benefits of one of the modern era's most widespread and long lasting economic experiments, that of the Soviet Empire. In it's command economy, individual enterprise was prohibited; production was managed by the state in its own enterprises; wages, prices and distribution of goods were controlled by the state; and the result was drab poverty, underdevelopment and misuse of natural resources. The ubiquitous samizat joke, "we pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us" told the story very well.

Consider the transformation of China in the last 20 years. Do you deny that the profit motive was the major factor in that dramatic reversal of fortune for them?

In the current era, the long-term difference in the economic growth rates of western European nations and the United States is generally attributed by economists to the higher tax rates and labor market rigidity that prevail in Europe.

What other "proof" do you seek?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:57 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Actual links to statistical proof rather than banal generalities and assertions.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:12 pm
Here's good news and bad news:
Quote:

Economic panel says recession ended in June 2009
AP

Economics Writer Jeannine Aversa, Ap Economics Writer – 47 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The longest recession the country has endured since the Great Depression ended in June 2009, a group that dates the beginning and end of recessions declared Monday.

The National Bureau of Economic Research, a panel of academic economists based in Cambridge, Mass., said the recession lasted 18 months. It started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009. Previously the longest post World War II downturns were those in 1973-1975 and in 1981-1982. Both of those lasted 16 months.

The NBER decision makes official what many economists have believed for some time, that the recession ended in the summer of 2009. But it won't make much difference to most Americans — especially the nearly 15 million without jobs.

Americans are coping with 9.6 percent unemployment, scant wage gains, weak home values and the worst foreclosure market in decades.

President Barack Obama saw little reason to celebrate the group's finding that the recession had ended.

This supports the Obama stimulus program. However, it's my contention that the stimulus program also spent money in many sloppy ways that could have been prevented, and could have saved billions of dollars.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm
Quote:
CANTOR'S CONFUSED CASE.... House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) takes his case for more tax breaks for the rich to the Wall Street Journal today, hoping the public realizes why he and his Republican cohorts are going all out to protect millionaires from 1990s-era top rates.

Quote:
Lest there be any doubt why we are so determined to fight -- instead of going quietly and giving President Obama his way before Congress bolts for the elections -- the GOP has two primary motivations. The first concerns the pain that tax increases threaten to inflict on our economy over the short term. The second is to stop the slide under our current leadership towards becoming a stagnant European-style welfare state with limited individual opportunity and entrepreneurship.

This is, by the way, the same dimwitted conservative who thought the debt crisis was so serious, the United States ran the risk of becoming Greece. Now, however, Cantor is on board with throwing billions of dollars onto the debt, just so long as it comes in the form of tax breaks for people who don't need them.

Cantor may or may not realize this, but what he's "determined to fight" is a modest increase in the top marginal rate. The tax burden facing all Americans would still be lower -- in many cases, quite a bit lower -- than during the Clinton era. Indeed, the Democratic plan to give the middle class a break would even benefit the rich on the first $250,000 of their income.

I don't imagine Cantor wrote the op-ed himself, but I'd be curious to see him defend it. A Clinton-era top rate would inflict "pain" so severe that it threatens the economy? No serious economist believes this. Indeed, if a Clinton-era top rate is such a killer, why did the economy thrive in the 1990s? For that matter, under the Obama tax policy, rates would still be lower than they were for most of Reagan's presidency. Does Cantor think Reagan-era tax rates were so confiscatory that they crushed America's economic dynamism?

What's more, Cantor's silly rhetoric about "a stagnant European-style welfare state" is just so tiresome. If Cantor wants to sit at the big kids' table, he's going to have to get over these cliches. A 39.6% top rate will not stifle "individual opportunity and entrepreneurship." I can say this with confidence because this and higher rates never undermined "individual opportunity and entrepreneurship" before.

I'd also love to know how Cantor explains the lost decade of the Bush/Cheney era. Republicans got the tax rates they wanted, the regulatory structure they wanted, the economic policies they wanted, and there was no hint of a "stagnant European-style welfare state." Nearly a decade of weak growth, stagnant wages, and non-existent job creation later, we know that Cantor's way simply doesn't work.

We tried it; it failed; there's no point in repeating failure and hoping for a different result. The fact that Cantor wants to hold middle-class breaks hostage in order to protect ineffective breaks for millionaires and billionaires tells us a great deal about his priorities, values, and understanding of the world around him.
—Steve Benen 2:10 PM Permalink | Trackbacks | Comments (0)

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_09/025754.php

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Actual links to statistical proof rather than banal generalities and assertions.

Cycloptichorn

Then why don't you provide it?

You can term the experience of generations of people across Europe and Asia whose standard of living and freedom were suppressed by command economies which precluded individual economic activity as banal generalites, but you reveal your ignorance and lack of understanding in doing so.
talk72000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:29 pm
@georgeob1,
The Scandanavian countries have done well.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:32 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Then why don't you provide it?

It's not my job to provide proof for YOUR argument, George.

Are you asking me to provide proof that lowered tax rates hamper our ability to pay the deficit or the debt? Or that under higher tax rates in the past, we have not seen less growth and investment than we do today? I'd be more than happy to do so for either question.

Quote:
You can term the experience of generations of people across Europe and Asia whose standard of living and freedom were suppressed by command economies which precluded individual economic activity as banal generalites, but you reveal your ignorance and lack of understanding in doing so.

Nobody here is talking about Russia or China, George. You are attempting to change the subject away from the original topic: that the tax raises under consideration on the rich right now won't change their behavior in the slightest and won't hamper investment. That there is no evidence that 5% changes in taxes make anyone change any behavior at all.

Are you even capable of having a discussion without Appealing to Extremes? By pointing to Russia, that's exactly what you are doing. Try and ignore your tendency to lard up every single post with excessive amounts of ideology and try and talk about what we have actually experienced in THIS country for a while.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm
@talk72000,
I believe there was a study about the happiest people on this earth, and found Denmark where the income tax rate is from 42% to 63%.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Several here (I believe including yourself) have advanced the proposition that tax rates have no effect whatever on "how hard people work" or the level of economic activity that results. That, very clearly was the issue I was addressing. Note that the proposition was absolute and unqualified in time or place. The observations I provided are thoroughly documented in history and directly relevant to the proposition in question.

Whether the forthcoming increases in marginal tax rates in this country will decrease our economic activity is a distinct question, one that involves both the general proposition above and a host of other factors as well. Neither you nor anyone else here has yet provided any proof of your assertions that no reductions will occur. Instead you all have hidden behind expressions of scorn and the recitation of the general proposition above, which I have thoroughly debunked.

I believe the forthcoming tax hikes will indeed tend to limit investment in both businesses and existing ones, thereby limiting the growth of employment and recovery from the current economic situation. However, as it is a future event, I cannot speak with certainty.

Neither can you.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:20 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Unfortunately, Joe, no facts have yet been offered to establish the bland absurdity offered that high tax rates have no effect on how hard people work or the level of their entrepreneurial activity.

I haven't seen anyone here make that argument, so I'm not sure why that matters.

georgeob1 wrote:
Cicerone (above) notes that the occurrence of lifelong occupation of a single job by some folks establishes the proposition. Do you buy that half-baked nonsense?

No, I didn't understand that one, but then much of this conversation, on both sides, has been confused and unfocused.

georgeob1 wrote:
Many factors influence the energy, creativity and effort people put into economic activity, ... and into evading taxes if they can. The desire for gain and profit is prominent among those factors. Taxes directly reduce those gains.

No doubt. And if anyone (including you) had made that argument, I doubt that there would have been an issue.

georgeob1 wrote:
Consider the transformation of China in the last 20 years. Do you deny that the profit motive was the major factor in that dramatic reversal of fortune for them?

No.

georgeob1 wrote:
In the current era, the long-term difference in the economic growth rates of western European nations and the United States is generally attributed by economists to the higher tax rates and labor market rigidity that prevail in Europe.

Well, I suppose proof of that claim might be nice. But it would be better if you defined your own position first. Frankly, I can't figure out what you're trying to establish.
ican711nm

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:28 pm
Quote:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=19836&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD
Principles for Economic Revival
America's financial crisis, deep recession and anemic recovery have largely been driven by economic policies that have deviated from proven fact-based principles, say George P. Shultz, a fellow at the Hoover Institution, and his colleagues. Here are the priorities that should guide policymakers as they seek to restore more rapid growth.

First, take tax increases off the table:

Higher tax rates are destructive to growth and would ratify the recent spending excesses.
For example, the U.S. corporate tax is one of the highest in the world.

Second, balance the federal budget by reducing spending:

The publicly held debt must be brought down to the precrisis safety zone.
The government should begin by rescinding unspent "stimulus" and Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) funds, ratcheting down domestic appropriations and repealing entitlement expansions, most notably the subsidies in the health care bill.

Third, modify Social Security and health care entitlements to reduce their explosive future growth.

Fourth, enact a moratorium on all new regulations for the next three years:

Going forward, regulations should be transparent and simple, pass rigorous cost-benefit tests and on market-based incentives instead of command and control.
Direct and indirect cost estimates of regulations and subsidies should be published before new regulations are put into law.

Fifth, monetary policy should be less discretionary and more rule-like.

The Federal Reserve should announce and follow a monetary policy rule, such as the Taylor rule, in which the short-term interest rate is determined by the supply and demand for money. The rate is then adjusted through changes in the money supply when inflation rises above or falls below the target, or when the economy goes into a recession.

Source: George P. Shultz, Michael J. Boskin, John F. Cogan, Allan Meltzer and John B. Taylor, "Principles for Economic Revival," The Wall Street Journal, September 16, 201
georgeob1

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Well, I suppose proof of that claim might be nice. But it would be better if you defined your own position first. Frankly, I can't figure out what you're trying to establish.

I believe it was clear that I was directly responding to an absurd general statement that tax rates don't influence "how hard people work" or general economic activity. I waited until about the third recitation of that nonsense before I responded.

As a related matter there is the odd presumption among those here in favor of the tax increases that they have no burden of proof in showing that there will not be an adverse effect on economic activity, while those favoring an extention of the tax reductions do have a burden of proof that there will. This makes sens only if one buys the nonsensical proposition that I debunked.

I believe the truth is that in general higher taxes do tend to limit economic activity. In any real situation the actual outcome will depend on that and the effects of many other factors as well. Indeed economic activity may increase in some situations, but that will be the result of the action of other factors.

Now do you see?
parados

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Except you didn't debunk anything george since the statistics for hours worked per week from BLS show that after Clinton's tax increase the number of hours worked per week increased and after Bush's tax decrease the number of hours worked per week decreased.

While one can argue that many other things affected the hours worked per week, it certainly points out that taxes have little effect and certainly they don't have an effect that is always inverse.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:52 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob, Here is the income tax rates in China. Please show us proof that higher tax rates makes people to work less.

Quote:

Table of Income Tax Rates in for an Individual in 2010

Tax % Monthly Income (CNY)
5% 1 - 500
10% 501 - 2,000
15% 2,001 - 5,000
20% 5,001 - 20,000
25% 20,001 - 40,000
30% 40,001 - 60,000
35% 60,001 - 80,000
40% 80,001 - 100,000
45% 100,001 and above
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:01 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Several here (I believe including yourself) have advanced the proposition that tax rates have no effect whatever on "how hard people work" or the level of economic activity that results.

I have advanced the proposition that 5% increases (or for that matter decreases) in marginal tax rates do not affect how hard people work or the economic activity that results. Nothing you have posted has contradicted this in the slightest; instead, you wave your hands about and mutter about Russia and centrally planned economies. These aren't relevant to the point I was making.

If you bothered to actually read back through the thread, you would see that this was the substance of the conversation you jumped into the middle of.

Quote:
Neither you nor anyone else here has yet provided any proof of your assertions that no reductions will occur.

I point to the fact that historically, small changes in marginal tax rates have never resulted in a significant reduction in 'how hard people work' or the level of economic activity. If you believe that this is untrue, point to the situation in our past that shows it to be true. I was unable to find one, and in fact, found several situations in which the reverse was true - where a tax increase was followed by increased economic activity.

Quote:
I believe the forthcoming tax hikes will indeed tend to limit investment in both businesses and existing ones, thereby limiting the growth of employment and recovery from the current economic situation. However, as it is a future event, I cannot speak with certainty.

Neither can you.

I can say that such a thing has not in fact happened historically. You are too busy being wrapped up in your ideological purity to realize that; you should be able to point to examples without appealing to extremes, but you have so far been unable to do so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:13 pm
One of the talking points that Republicans like to throw around regards 'small businesses.' And the proposition that hiking up the top marginal tax brackets will somehow devastate them and their ability to create jobs.

Turns out that the truth is: not so many small businesses would be affected:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/images/CBPPtax.jpg

Keep this in mind next time you see someone yammering about how small businesses just NEED lower taxes to survive....

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:17 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe it was clear that I was directly responding to an absurd general statement that tax rates don't influence "how hard people work" or general economic activity.

Tax rates affect lots of things. The question is: do they significantly affect how hard people work or general economic activity? You didn't ask that question. My guess is that you think the answer to that question is "yes." I, on the other hand, don't see any reason to accept that as true, at least with respect to all tax rates, all work, or all economic activity.

For instance, suppose a worker's tax rate was raised by one percent. Would you contend that the worker would work one percent less? Or if that worker's tax rate was lowered by one percent, would he then work one percent harder? Likewise, if the general tax rate on a population were raised one percent, would we expect to see a corresponding decrease in economic activity of one percent?

Frankly, it's absurd to expect that sort of fine calibration of effort in response to changes in the tax rates. In general, workers work as hard as they want to get what they want. If tax rates go up, we could just as easily conclude that workers will work harder as that they would work less, given that they now have to work more to earn the same as they did before.

As for general economic activity, if there were a direct correlation between high tax rates and low economic activity, we should have had a depression lasting throughout the 1950s, when the top marginal rates exceeded 90%, and we would have had an economic boom in the early 1930s, when the top rate was lower than it is today. I'll leave it to you to find the widely accepted observations of statistical facts regarding the Eisenhower depression and the Hoover boom.

georgeob1 wrote:
As a related matter there is the odd presumption among those here in favor of the tax increases that they have no burden of proof in showing that there will not be an adverse effect on economic activity, while those favoring an extention of the tax reductions do have a burden of proof that there will. This makes sens only if one buys the nonsensical proposition that I debunked.

No, there's a proper presumption among those here that the person who puts forward a claim is responsible for supplying the evidence for that claim.

georgeob1 wrote:
I believe the truth is that in general higher taxes do tend to limit economic activity. In any real situation the actual outcome will depend on that and the effects of many other factors as well. Indeed economic activity may increase in some situations, but that will be the result of the action of other factors.

Or, in other words, taxes affect the economy, except when they don't.

georgeob1 wrote:
Now do you see?

Yes indeed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Conservatives always seem to get themselves into a contradiction between their rhetoric and how they vote in congress.

The recent legislation passed by congress in support of small business was not supported by the GOP.

Quote:
Congress > Legislation
H.R. 5297:

Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010
111th Congress

This is a bill in the U.S. Congress originating in the House of Representatives ("H.R."). A bill must be passed by both the House and Senate and then be signed by the President before it becomes law.

An act to create the Small Business Lending Fund Program to direct the Secretary of the Treasury to make capital investments in eligible institutions in order to increase the availability of credit for small businesses, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax incentives for small business job creation, and for other purposes.
0 Replies