Where is the US economy headed?

rabel22

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:19 pm
But even though you know he is baiting you, you continue to answer him. You are giveing him exactly what he wants.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:29 pm
I though this thread was roughly about us economy...
can't stand when it gets all personal on the internet-
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:27 pm
@CarbonSystem,
Nobody knows anything about the US economy CS. Alan Greenspan proved that. He even admitted it after he had retired a ses terres, as our friends say dans Francais.

So you can guess how much we know about it.

It getting personal is the only interesting aspect here.

The rest depends on which sources in media the arguments are learned from. All of which have been known for years. And everybody reads a source they can't understand because it's flattering to the ego. It's a similar law of nature to that that says people get promoted to where they can't do the job. It's to make sure that all those in the elites don't know what they are doing. One wouldn't want that would one? As Nick Leason proved with his letter to the higher ups which explained his key financial instrument in which their £800 million was safely preserved and also asked for a large bonus increase. Nick was a plasterer's son. Helped his Dad when he had a holiday back at home. To clear his head. It was a disgrace giving him four years.

But it was an object lesson to us all and I recommend his telling of the tale to you. Rouge Trader it is titled. I've not read the sequel, Back from the Brink, yet.

What do you know about the US economy that's more interesting than okie and POM having a set-to? What % of GDP goes on flattering women?
Francis

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:38 pm
Spendi wrote:
Rouge Trader it is titled

I don't remember this voyou being red...
CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:42 pm
@spendius,
some good points, but generally more interesting to me would be zeitgeist movie about the economy. you know, the bloody conspiracy rot.
ha
but really, relevant things to my life are mor einteresting a bit
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:07 pm
@Francis,
Sorry Francois. I did mean Rogue.

Hey- to accompany my watching the Tour de France I've got my hands on Laurence Sterne's A Sentimental Journey. It is a quasi-fictional account, with scholarly asides, of a trip he took through France and Italy published 1n the year of Our Lord 1768. I imagine Flaubert and Stendhal knew it.

A vision of your intellectual DNA components.

Is there a French joke about velvet gloves which don't cover the thumb and forefinger being a sign of a superior lady?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:09 pm
Quote:
America on the Doorstep of the Largest Tax Hikes in Nation’s History

At the end of 2010, hardworking families and small businesses in West Virginia will face the most staggering tax increases that people in our state have ever seen. Previous tax cuts that were passed by a Republican Congress in 2001 and 2003 are set to expire on January 1st, 2011, and you can rest assured that Democrats have no intention of extending those measures into the future.

According to Americans for Tax Reform, the future looks bleak under continued rule by liberal Democrats. Here is a glimpse of what’s to come:

• Skyrocketing personal income taxes:
o 10 percent bracket jumps to 15 percent
o 25 percent bracket up to 28 percent
o 28 percent bracket up to 31 percent
o 33 percent bracket up to 36 percent
o 35 percent bracket up to 39.6 percent
• Increase in the capital gains tax from 15 percent up to 20 percent.
• Return of the death tax. If the Democrats have their way, individuals dying after January 1st of 2011 may leave behind a hefty bill for their loved ones to struggle paying off.
• Reduction in the child tax credit from $1000 to $500 dollars per child. Liberals will, in effect, be making it more expensive to have children.

Tax and Spend Liberal Policies are Crippling Our Country
Support the WV GOP and Stand for Fiscally Responsible Solutions

Want to know the scariest part? We have yet to discuss the impact of the new healthcare bill, which will also starting taking effect on the first day of the new year. President Obama’s multi-trillion dollar restructuring of the American economy will result in hoards of new taxes, many of which will take aim at the working class people who comprise so much of our great state. Healthcare rationing and numerous inefficient regulations will hit West Virginians in the pocketbook as well as dramatically worsen our quality of life.

Liberals in Washington are succeeding at completely running the economy into the ground. In fact, for the first time since 1974, the House will not even attempt to pass its annual budget. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer speculated that perhaps they would attempt to work something out in December, but that is simply not good enough. It is unacceptable that they wait until after the November elections to unveil what is sure to be a ghastly budget.

Given that Hoyer is the same man who proclaimed in 2006, “The most basic responsibility of governing is enacting a budget,” it would be fair to say that Democrats in Congress have officially failed at governing. Despite the fact that our national debt is over 13 trillion dollars, the 111th Congress continues to print off money for pork-ridden stimulus packages and frivolous government bailouts. That is an unbelievable disgrace.
Tax and Spend Liberal Policies are Crippling Our Country
Support the WV GOP and Stand for Fiscally Responsible Solutions

Democrats continue to punish the private sector while propping up Big Government solutions. Make your voices heard and let it be known that you are sick of the Democratic economic platform.

Common sense conservatives in West Virginia know that the path back to prosperity demands that our government make huge changes to the way it conducts itself. The tax and spend tendencies of the past must become just that: the past. Support the WV GOP to push back against radical liberal policies.

Sincerely,

Douglas McKinney, M.D.
Chairman
West Virginia Republican Party
PO Box 2711
Charleston, WV 25330

P.S. We are the West Virginia GOP and we stand for reduced taxes on families and small businesses, a permanent repeal to the death tax, cuts to wasteful spending, and above all else, to keep as much money as possible in the private sector.
talk72000

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:23 pm
@ican711nm,
The revolt of the Robber Barons!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:26 pm
@ican711nm,
Do you not realize that income taxes, even after they return to pre-Bush levels, are still at their historically lowest levels in the last 100 years or so? These hikes are not monstrous or staggering in any way. They are exceedingly modest.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:31 pm
@CarbonSystem,
I have thought of a movie myself. It starts in a back room in Whitehall where two chain-smoking lardies, with a Mrs Mop logistics officer who does errands, sit at desks monitoring the birth and death certificates being collated. The grand total is on a large display on the wall. Eight digits with the one on the right going up and down fastish, like a fruit machine before it stops, with stops and starts you can hardly see , and the next one going up and down now and again and if the next one moves much the phone is picked up and the next one causes red lights to flash. District by district and town by town as well. They read the paper most of the time and bet on horses and make cynical conversation.

If a district shows a decline in births they get the local paper to run some articles about second honeymoons and how to put zest back into your marriage. An article about Joan Collins. They have to plan how many school desks they are going to need. Bottles of orange juice. Simple stuff really. It's set in the future of course. If there's a decline in deaths they send a squad along to shoot a few. There's nothing worse than disorderly charts.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:12 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

You claim to never have been divorced. Therefore, you are without personal experience.

Your goal is to discredit me. And, by your use of the word "fishy," you are again calling me a liar.

No, I am not calling you a liar. I am merely expressing doubts about how you perceive the events that have happened to you. I am merely pointing out what I believe would be common sense, that a person cannot borrow money in your name without your consent in writing, and a power of attorney cannot be forged or made up, without a crime having occurred.

True, I have not been divorced, but the issues being discussed here make no difference whether I was divorced or not, they are simply matters of common sense. For example, I have had to help take care of business matters for my parents when they were no longer able, and in fact they wanted to sign over the responsibility to me because it was becoming too large of a burden. I have found out that all the proper paperwork, signed and notarized, must be available for most everything that is done in their behalf. And I would not want it to be any other way, I want everything to be according to their wishes.

I am not here to discredit you, I am here to try to determine what is true and common sense, and when you state some of the stuff you do, you are essentially discrediting yourself, pom.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:14 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Quote:
The primary purpose of government is to protect us from each other

Wow! No rightie has said that in 40 years! You may be leaning to the left after all.

The difference between liberals and conservatives as commonly expressed during the 1960s was liberals think the most distant government protects citizens the best while conservatives think the closest government does that most effectively.

The conservative doctrine in recent years has been that government does not protect us.

Our freedom and liberty depends upon the government protecting us and our rights, including our property. And right now we have a government actively confiscating our stuff to give it to others, and therefore they are violating the constitution and their oath of office.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, dont you realize that its unamerican to make a rich man pay taxes when its so easy to steal taxes from people who cant afford a tax lawer and a pet legislator.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
hat it tells the majority is the Obama and the Dems can not be trusted to listen to the people

I don't know how old you are but in the 60s, the right said that about the left.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Re: okie (Post 4283924)
Quote:
I placed a qualifier to my statement such as "if you were telling the truth," but that is far from flat out calling you a liar.

I am curious what a person is if they aren't telling the truth okie.

(Of course that is if you aren't a complete idiot. )

I think okie's denial of calling me a liar and then shading the reality of the situation leaves him in a moral abyss.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:09 pm
Moving right along, if anyone is interested in the U.S. economy:

It was bad day in the U.S. stock markets. The Dow was down 260 points (2.5%) with the broader indices down 3%. The Dow ended the week at 10,100, down from 10,200 on Monday. It got as high as 10,400 mid-week. It was briefly above 11,000 within the past month.
Citigroup and Bank of America reported earnings for the 2nd Q. On the surface, they looked okay but, as I have suggested before, there is lot of fiction writing going on in bank earnings.
Weighing down the markets were the Consumer Confidence Index and the Consumer Price Index. The former, by the University of Michigan, comes out twice a month. The new one, out today, paints a very pessimistic view of the attitudes of the American consumer towards the near future of the economy.
The latter, the Consumer Price Index (CPI), remains quite flat. No sense for the moment of inflation. But could there actually be deflation? Some economists, not the majority, fear that. If consumers conclude that prices for things like refrigerators might be dropping, they will hold off buying. And then deflation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Meanwhile, the Fed keeps interest rates at near zero. That is bad news for people with savings accounts.
Finally, one part of the CPI is CPI-W. That is the one used to determine whether there will be an increase in Social Security benefits. There was no increase last year and there will not be one this year either. That will be revealed when the final data for the 3rd quarter (July, August, September) comes out around October 15th, right before the November election.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:26 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
• Skyrocketing personal income taxes:
o 10 percent bracket jumps to 15 percent
o 25 percent bracket up to 28 percent
o 28 percent bracket up to 31 percent
o 33 percent bracket up to 36 percent
o 35 percent bracket up to 39.6 percent
• Increase in the capital gains tax from 15 percent up to 20 percent.
• Return of the death tax. If the Democrats have their way, individuals dying after January 1st of 2011 may leave behind a hefty bill for their loved ones to struggle paying off.
• Reduction in the child tax credit from $1000 to $500 dollars per child. Liberals will, in effect, be making it more expensive to have children.

The funny part of this ican is that it was voted into place by a GOP congress and signed by a GOP President.

This is like arguing that the police commit murder because they don't stop someone from killing.

The ONLY people to blame for this tax hike ican is the GOP. There is no one else. You can't blame the Dems for a bill passed by the GOP.
okie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:57 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I think okie's denial of calling me a liar and then shading the reality of the situation leaves him in a moral abyss.
Apparently you cannot distinguish between doubts and being sure? Being skeptical of some of your claims is far different than being sure that you are lying, and calling you a liar.

This conversation merely points out again pom's fuzzy and unclear manner of reasoning.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:10 pm
Okie and Plainoldme:
Are you aware that A2K has an email (private mail) function? You can engage each other there without involving the rest of us.
All in favor of that debate going private, say aye.
Opposed, say nay.
spendius

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
Nay.