Where is the US economy headed?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 03:52 pm
@ican711nm,
That'll happen when all republicans stop being liars and crooks.

From the Washington Post:
Quote:
Health Reform Full Coverage
Democrats Launch Web Site Targeting "Republican Lies" on Health Care

By Ceci Connolly

The Democratic political machine is firing back against what it says are "Republican lies on health insurance reform." The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which supports House Democratic candidates, unveiled a new website Thursday "dedicated to exposing the truth-twisting attack by Republicans and their fringe right-wing groups."

As House Democrats returned to their home districts this week, many have been confronted by sharp criticism of the health-reform bill approved in three committees. In some cases, the attacks have been spearheaded by conservative groups, such as Freedom Works, an advocacy organization headed by former House majority leader Richard K. Armey (R-Tex.). The result has been a tense early August for lawmakers, activists and the political parties.

The Democrats' "Health Care Fact Check" web site features photos of prominent Republicans such as former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ge.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) with a phrase attributed to each and "FALSE" in large red print.

At the same time, conservatives are accusing the Obama administration of collecting a list of people who oppose health care reform.

"I guess President Obama is unhinged by the prospect of something entrenched in the American political tradition: Dissent," Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, says in a new video.

Perkins is reacting to a blog posting on www.whitehouse.gov which encourages supporters to report anything "fishy" on the health care front.

From HISTORY.COM:
Quote:
Looks like Republican Lies on Obama are biting them in the ass
Oct 11, 2008 9:46 AM

* Report Abuse

go figure... they lie to the point of creating mobs and then their ugly crowds start to boo their own candidate when he tells the truth....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=McCain+Booed&search_type=
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=McCain+Mob&search_type=&aq=f
teenyboone

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 04:42 pm
@okie,
You believe your own lies, I see.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My only concern with the health care bill, as its written now, is that the President said it would be "revenue nuetral" and would not add to the deficit at all.

I dont see how that is possible.
Even with the tax increases and the reduced spending he is proposing, there is no way that it wont add to the deficit.
Everything the govt does adds to the deficit or otherwise affects the budget.
It may not be immediately, but it does happen.
I am not convinced that the President or the Congress have done enough to address this, nor am I convinced that they are giving us an honest appraisal of the true costs of the bill.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:43 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

My only concern with the health care bill, as its written now, is that the President said it would be "revenue nuetral" and would not add to the deficit at all.

I dont see how that is possible.
Even with the tax increases and the reduced spending he is proposing, there is no way that it wont add to the deficit.

According to the CBO, not only will it not add to the deficit, the current plan will SAVE plenty of money in the future.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Daily-Reports/2009/November/19/CBO-Costs-and-Savings.aspx

Quote:

Everything the govt does adds to the deficit or otherwise affects the budget.
It may not be immediately, but it does happen.
I am not convinced that the President or the Congress have done enough to address this, nor am I convinced that they are giving us an honest appraisal of the true costs of the bill.

Shrug, don't know what they would have to do to convince you.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

According to the CBO, not only will it not add to the deficit, the current plan will SAVE plenty of money in the future.

That's a joke!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:58 pm
@teenyboone,
teenyboone wrote:

You believe your own lies, I see.

How funny. I thought you had me on ignore, even double ignore? Or did you lie about that too? Apparently you wouldn't know the truth if it was staring you in the face. Everything I said in that post you referenced I believe to be the truth. If I had any evidence to the contrary to indicate it wasn't the truth in my opinion, I would not have posted it. I do have opinions that differ from yours, teeny, but I do not lie here. Which reminds me of a point. A difference of opinion is totally different than a lie. I know that liberals label anything that they do not agree with as a lie, but that in itself is actually a lie. It appears to me that liberals do not even understand what the definition of a lie is in the first place, or they would not throw around the accusation so freely and easily.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:59 pm
@okie,
Truth in your opinion is an oxymoron, you moron!
ican711nm

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Truth in your opinion is an oxymoron, you moron!
Truth in your opinion, Cice, is an oxymoron, you moron!
okie

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:58 pm
@ican711nm,
ican, I have ci on ignore, but I do read some of the responses to him. Actually, it seems sad in a way, I picture an old codger sitting at his computer every day, dishing out insults all day long, and I have to feel bad for the guy, is that all there is to his life? What does his wife do, does he grouch at her all day too? What kind of a future is there in that kind of life?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 08:23 pm
@okie,
okie, Those are called "challenges" of claims made by people like you who rarely if ever provides credible sources for your opinions. Just asking for evidence or facts to back up what you say.

My life is actually "richer" than 85% of people living on this planet. I have friends all around the world, and all across the US. I've seen over 130 countries, and my health is pretty good at my age. I've probably met more people and visited more places in one year than you have your whole life.

According to "wealth" measurement for Americans, we belong in the top 1%. Before you accuse me, I don't covet what anybody else has.

Why do you want to know what my wife does? She's retired, and enjoying life.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:17 pm
Good evening. I hope I am not interrupting yall's insults.
> Major U.S. stock indices fell about 1% today.
> One factor was McDonalds reporting a dip in same store sales in November. That could mean folks are going dumpster diving rather than buying McD's...or it could mean folks are moving up the junk food chain.
> Dubai & now Greece are in turmoil. Uncertainty about which banks have exposure to those economies...
> ...Sent investors to drive up the value of the dollar as a perceived safer investment. That is bad for U.S. exporters who need a cheap dollar.
> Oil dropped again to something like $73/barrel partially due to the increase in the value of the dollar and slumping gas prices at the pump due to slack demand from consumers.
Stay tuned.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
Greece repaying its debt has been iffy for well over a year, but has gotten more attention of late. However, many people say that several Baltic countries are worse off. At this point is seems to be a crap shoot as to what country is going the be the first to welsh on it loan terms.

Dubai asked for and received a change of the deal, which is not the same as defaulting.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
(W)hat country is going the be the first to welsh on it loan terms.

You got something against the people of Wales?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:59 pm
@mysteryman,
I'm pretty skeptical of that deficit neutral talk too, but I do have respect for CBO. I think they stated a few caveats, and I think they have to rely on solid numbers, rather than the feelings you and I share that programs tend to cost more than anticipated.

I would like to know if realjohnboy shares my faith in CBO.

I think I just saw an article that said they had finally dropped the government option. If they also limit the actual coverage provided, they could also get costs down. Not all health care coverage is equal, so we might end up with much less than everyone seems to expect.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 10:07 pm
@roger,
All health plans like all other kinds of insurance should never be "equal." If congress tries to make it "equal," the cost will escalate so much, it'll destroy our country with bigger deficits.
roger

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 10:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure, but just what is going to be covered, and at what kind of co-pay and deductable amounts? It's hunky dorrie to say that suddenly, 94% of the population will be insured, but insured for what? And what if the compensation to providers is so low that no one will accept the contract. So, 94% are covered and receive no benefit? Or they receive their nominal benefit and go bankrupt for medical bills at the same rate as before the bills passage. We can all be covered, while staying with the budget, but does it do any good for anyone?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 10:43 pm
@roger,
You are talking about extremes, but in real life, even in countries with universal health care, they purchase private plans that they can afford through subsidies based on levels of income.

Even Medicare is purchased through a PPO or HMO, and the consumer has the choice. Some only get the basic Medicare plan without the extended or drug plan that costs extra.

0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:51 am
Of course, the public option has been shot down. But anyone who thinks that the left wing spending on a health bill will not cost far more than the CBO predicts does not know what Medicare was predicted to cost when it was enacted.

Note:

The two primary lessons of Medicare are the chronic problem of woefully underestimating program costs and the impossibility of genuine cost control. A closer look at Medicare shows why these two problems are certain to plague a government-administered universal health-care plan.

The cost of Medicare is a good place to begin. At its start, in 1966, Medicare cost $3 billion. The House Ways and Means Committee estimated that Medicare would cost only about $ 12 billion by 1990 (a figure that included an allowance for inflation). This was a supposedly "conservative" estimate. But in 1990 Medicare actually cost $107 billion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:56 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm pretty skeptical of that deficit neutral talk too, but I do have respect for CBO. I think they stated a few caveats, and I think they have to rely on solid numbers, rather than the feelings you and I share that programs tend to cost more than anticipated.

I would like to know if realjohnboy shares my faith in CBO.

I think I just saw an article that said they had finally dropped the government option. If they also limit the actual coverage provided, they could also get costs down. Not all health care coverage is equal, so we might end up with much less than everyone seems to expect.

I can't understand how, after all this time, you guys don't realize that the Public Option is a cost saver, not something that adds cost to the bill. It saves money.

Cycloptichorn
rabel22

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
More importantly it would cost the insurance industry business and money. Thats the reason we wont have a public option, the big money people who own our legislators dont want it even though it it would be best for the common man.