Where is the US economy headed?

okie

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:46 am
@teenyboone,
teeny, I like you, you have spunk and you speak openly about yourself and your beliefs. I just wish you would wake up to the fact that you are swallowing all the swill of the liberal media and you are not checking out the facts. I believe Michael Steele, if you knew him personally, would be far more akin to your philosophy than an Obama that is a smooth talker but thats about it. Obama is not even all black, if that is what you wanted, and the man doesn't even love America, as you do, at least I don't think he does, he constantly runs it down and apologizes for it. I do not think he speaks your language at all in terms of what you believe deep down in your heart.

Fact is, many think Martin Luther King was a Republican, and it has been the Republicans from the days of Lincoln that have fought for and initiated many of the rights that you have, it is not the party of Teddy Kennedy that wants to keep you on the plantation and make you believe that you can't do anything unless they help you. Their "help" is described as taxing the bejeebers out of you and me and then give it to you and other like minded voters to buy your votes by demonizing Republicans, and it is you that has fallen for their koolaid. I think you will wake up sooner or later, I hope sooner, to what is actually going on and get a spine for yourself, like Michael Steele and the many thousands, tens of thousands, millions of other blacks that are now seeing the truth of what has happened and is happening.
okie

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:57 am
@okie,
One more comment to you, teeny, you have spunk, you should know you don't need some political opportunist and phony like Obama to come along to try to take credit for what you have accomplished, and to tell you that you are worthless without him pleading your case and helping you. Come on, you are better than that, I hear it in your voice (your posts).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 10:58 am
@okie,
okie, The poster who rarely provides evidence or facts in his posts has the gall to tell another poster that their source of information is wrong. That's chutzpah and ignorance all rolled into one idiot who uses Rass and Limbaugh as his source for information.

There's no cure for stupid!
dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:01 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

teeny, I like you, you have spunk and you speak openly about yourself and your beliefs. I just wish you would wake up to the fact that you are swallowing all the swill of the liberal media and you are not checking out the facts. I believe Michael Steele, if you knew him personally, would be far more akin to your philosophy than an Obama that is a smooth talker but thats about it. Obama is not even all black, if that is what you wanted, and the man doesn't even love America, as you do, at least I don't think he does, he constantly runs it down and apologizes for it. I do not think he speaks your language at all in terms of what you believe deep down in your heart.

Fact is, many think Martin Luther King was a Republican, and it has been the Republicans from the days of Lincoln that have fought for and initiated many of the rights that you have, it is not the party of Teddy Kennedy that wants to keep you on the plantation and make you believe that you can't do anything unless they help you. Their "help" is described as taxing the bejeebers out of you and me and then give it to you and other like minded voters to buy your votes by demonizing Republicans, and it is you that has fallen for their koolaid. I think you will wake up sooner or later, I hope sooner, to what is actually going on and get a spine for yourself, like Michael Steele and the many thousands, tens of thousands, millions of other blacks that are now seeing the truth of what has happened and is happening.
If one reads this word for word, sentence for sentence, one quickly concludes that Okie needs or is not taking his meds are prescribed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:09 am
@dyslexia,
Well, you misunderstand okie; you know, Obama hates America, and wants to destroy it.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Well, you misunderstand okie; you know, Obama hates America, and wants to destroy it.
well, that's a given, Obama isn't even a real black man.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:22 am
@dyslexia,
He isn't even an American by birth; he's Kenyan.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:33 pm
Good evening. This thread has run into the "24 hour rule" on A2K. Any thread dormant for that long gets an essay from me.
I have mentioned before that I play in a Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond survey that looks at things in the mid-Atlantic states. On about the 20th of each month a sample of us mid-sized retailers report on how things are looking for that month so far. So we reported on Nov 20th about November. The results come out about 5 days later.
The report for November was decidedly positive for the 1st time in months (all stats are seasonally adjusted) in terms of sales. Retailers, though (including me in my chain of stores), continued to cut inventories. Expectations for what the future might hold (going out 6 months) were overwhelmingly positive.
For November, we posted sales increases of 5+% vs last November in my stores.

I got my report from the Fed. I noticed in the footnotes that the number of respondents to the survey, which had held pretty steady each month, has fallen by about 10% in the last couple or three months. I sent an email to Aileen, the lady at the Fed who compiles this, asking whether the decline indicated that a number of the players had either gone belly-up or had become too despondent to respond. The survey might be skewed towards the healthy.
I was surprised to get a reply from her which started, in government language, with something like "Damn! Someone actually reads this ****, including the footnotes?"
Actually, her response was quite thoughtful and I appreciated it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, I guess the rest of "us" will have to shut up for 24-hour periods to really get the dope on our economy. It was a pleasure to read your post, and I really enjoyed reading the response from one government worker "Damn! Someone actually reads this ****."
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
enjoyed reading the response from one government worker

Excuse me! The FED is NOT a government agency, they have been trying to bust this myth ever since I was a kid. Of Course recent history does not help their cause, watching them reorder the economy and in particular Wall Street you'd have to assume that they are the government. Otherwise, where did they get the authority to speak for the citizens??!!

OOPs, better shut up now, we aint supposed to talk about that.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Remember, the Maasai tribe of Kenya tried to send us a herd of cattle after 9/11. Seriously, this brought a tear to my eye many years ago. It was an important gesture. Not sure from which tribe Obama springs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
From Wiki:
Quote:
Government regulation and supervision
Ben Bernanke (lower-right), Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, at a House Financial Services Committee hearing on February 10, 2009. Members of the Board frequently testify before congressional committees such as this one. The Senate equivalent of the House Financial Services Committee is the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.

The Board of Governors in the Federal Reserve System has a number of supervisory and regulatory responsibilities in the U.S. banking system, but not complete responsibility. A general description of the types of regulation and supervision involved in the U.S. banking system is given by the Federal Reserve:[43]

The Board also plays a major role in the supervision and regulation of the U.S. banking system. It has supervisory responsibilities for state-chartered banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System, bank holding companies (companies that control banks), the foreign activities of member banks, the U.S. activities of foreign banks, and Edge Act and agreement corporations (limited-purpose institutions that engage in a foreign banking business). The Board and, under delegated authority, the Federal Reserve Banks, supervise approximately 900 state member banks and 5,000 bank holding companies. Other federal agencies also serve as the primary federal supervisors of commercial banks; the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency supervises national banks, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation supervises state banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System.

Some regulations issued by the Board apply to the entire banking industry, whereas others apply only to member banks, that is, state banks that have chosen to join the Federal Reserve System and national banks, which by law must be members of the System. The Board also issues regulations to carry out major federal laws governing consumer credit protection, such as the Truth in Lending, Equal Credit Opportunity, and Home Mortgage Disclosure Acts. Many of these consumer protection regulations apply to various lenders outside the banking industry as well as to banks.

Members of the Board of Governors are in continual contact with other policy makers in government. They frequently testify before congressional committees on the economy, monetary policy, banking supervision and regulation, consumer credit protection, financial markets, and other matters.

The Board has regular contact with members of the President’s Council of Economic Advisers and other key economic officials. The Chairman also meets from time to time with the President of the United States and has regular meetings with the Secretary of the Treasury. The Chairman has formal responsibilities in the international arena as well.

There's a fine line when the government can intercede in the feds business and not make it part of our government.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:44 pm
@roger,
I vaguely remember something about that, and would have completely forgotten about it if not for your reminder.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 12:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
the board of governors is a fed agency, the 12 banks are not. The OP was re an employee of one of the banks, thus is not a government employee and she was not speaking for a government agency.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 12:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, what got me confused was the mention of "government language."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 01:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Interesting set-up. I didn't know that.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 12:47 pm
Quote:
Stop the cap-and-trade scam - it's "All Pain, No Gain".
Protect American jobs, energy, and prosperity from global warming hype.

Efforts to control man-made "greenhouse gases" through mandatory policies like cap and trade are nothing more than "All Pain, No Gain" " all economic pain for no environmental gain.

Energy Tax: Proposals like cap and trade are simply a massive tax on energy use " on everything we heat, cool, drive, make, grow, eat, and do " and will therefore cause the price of everything to skyrocket.

Hurts Americans: These proposals will harm all Americans by exorbitantly raising gasoline prices and utility bills, sending jobs overseas, perpetuating the myth that "green jobs" will grow our economy, and acting as a huge "regressive tax" that will especially hurt the poor and our nation's seniors on fixed incomes.

Failing Science: An outpouring of peer-reviewed studies, data, and skeptical scientists from around the world debunks the alleged "consensus" about man-made global warming. The Earth is well within natural climate variability, climate fear is being driven by unproven computer models, and it is preposterous for the EPA, White House, or Congress to call carbon dioxide a "pollutant."

Purely Symbolic: Congressional proposals like cap and trade, and international treaties like the Kyoto Protocol, are purely symbolic efforts at reducing emissions and stabilizing the climate. Even President Obama's own EPA admits cap-and-trade policies will have no detectable impact on global CO2 levels or temperatures. U.N. treaties will also be meaningless since developing nations like China and India have no intention of setting definite CO2 limits.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 12:53 pm
When will Hyperinflation start and how are you preparing to survive it?
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
I might oil the wheelbarrow so that taking the price of a pint to the pub is not too hard work.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:24 pm
@spendius,
What are you buying your pint with now days? Wheelbarrow full of ****? Do they call that fertilizer where you live?
0 Replies