Where is the US economy headed?

okie

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know $7,800 is nothing to the government, or bureaucrats that spend money like its water, but I happen to know some people that started businesses on that much money or less, so whether its alot of money or not, the principle stands. You have to start somewhere. The guys had ambition and a "can do" attitude, not an attitude that said poor me, the government has to bail me out. And HP is but one example, certainly an exception most likely, as most businesses do require more capital than that to grow and succeed. And going back to the point that people with money are the ones that provide jobs is true. HP did not provide many jobs until they got off the ground and had buyers of their products, people with money, like Disney, then the business began to grow and provide jobs. Therefore, it was trickle down, not trickle up.

You have to have something that will trickle before it can trickle anywhere, and the law of gravity itself, economic gravity in this case, it dictates it will go down, not up. You have to create wealth before it can be distributed to those that need it and can buy it. Demand is created by the people that want the products, but demand alone does not create it, somebody with capital and work have to produce the wealth, then it can trickle down to those that buy the stuff and work for the people that produce it and sell it, adding to the cycle of prosperity. And human nature says that self interest motivates higher production and more wealth, all of which becomes shared by all, by all that are willing to be part of the productive economy, according to the efforts that they are free to choose. Its called freedom. Isn't it beautiful? Isn't this a grand place to live. I love it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:07 am
@okie,
You're side-tracking the issue under discussion. You're a loser and an idiot!
I hope you didn't spend too much time posting your last BS, because I didn't bother to read it past the first two sentences.
okie

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're side-tracking the issue under discussion. You're a loser and an idiot!
I hope you didn't spend too much time posting your last BS, because I didn't bother to read it past the first two sentences.

Sorry it goes over your head, ci.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:27 am
@okie,
The only thing that goes over my head is how in the world you can survive in this world with your unrealistic perception of life.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm
This just in from the BBC. BP has announced that it has made a "giant" oil discovery in the Gulf of Mexico. The well was drilled to a depth of 35,000 feet, making it one of deepest ever.
BP says the discovery may amount to 3 billion barrels but there will need to be surveys done to determine commercial potential, which could be significantly less.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm
This is just too good to pass up.

A DEMOCRAT state Senator supports an increase in the alcohol tax in his state, then goes to another state to buy alcohol and AVOID paying the tax, THAT HE SUPPORTED.

http://wbztv.com/local/mass.rep.buys.2.1159069.html

Quote:
BOSTON (AP) ― A Massachusetts state legislator who voted to impose a 6.25 percent sales tax on alcohol has come under fire after he was seen loading liquor into his state-owned vehicle outside a tax-free New Hampshire liquor store.

Rep. Michael Rodrigues' Ford Crown Victoria, bearing "House 29" Massachusetts license plates, was seen outside the store on Interstate 95 South last weekend.

Pictures of the car were sent to the Boston Herald.

The Westport Democrat told The Standard Times of New Bedford that he bought the liquor during a bathroom break while he and his wife were on a weekend away in New Hampshire.

He blamed the controversy on "Republican demagoguery."

State Republican Party chairwoman Jennifer Nassour called Rodrigues' actions "the height of arrogance."

So, the tax is good enough for everybody else, but he doesnt want to pay it?
Typical dem thinking.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@mysteryman,
He does have a good excuse, at least...

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And what excuse is that?

That he had to go to the bathroom?
He could have waited till he got back to Mass to buy hiz booze if he thought the tax was a valid one.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:45 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

And what excuse is that?

That he had to go to the bathroom?
He could have waited till he got back to Mass to buy hiz booze if he thought the tax was a valid one.

Did you even read the article?

Quote:

The Westport Democrat told The Standard Times of New Bedford that he bought the liquor during a bathroom break while he and his wife were on a weekend away in New Hampshire.

They were in NH for the weekend. What was he supposed to do, drive back home to buy liquor, and then drive back?

Christ, you guys are ******* petty, you know that?

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Did you even read the article?

Apparently you didnt, so I will quote it for you...

Quote:
Rep. Michael Rodrigues, a Westport Democrat, tells WBZ he was returning from New Hampshire with his family when they made a restroom stop north of the border

So, he was on his way home from NH, not just getting there!!

Next time you want to attack me, at least READ the article I quoted from.
You might avoid looking like an idiot that wat.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:03 pm
@mysteryman,
"...that wat?" LOL
mysteryman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
oops...that way

Is that better?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:11 pm
@mysteryman,
The text on the linked article doesn't match the text you quoted in the thread.

Here's the line from your quote:

Quote:

Where did you get the text you pasted into the thread from? You can't blame me if you post text from a different source than your actual link.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Wow. Wells in the Anadarko basin of Oklahoma are considered deep. They typically start producing at around 17,000', and that's starting on dry land.
okie

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:21 pm
@roger,
I thought drilling was unnecessary anyway, why is BP drilling in the gulf?
roger

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:34 pm
@okie,
Better weather in the Gulf than their North Sea fields.
mysteryman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Then you didnt read the linked article.

So, I will repost it from you.
This time, actually go to the article and read it, then you wont look so stupid.

http://wbztv.com/local/mass.rep.buys.2.1159069.html

Quote:
BOSTON (WBZ)

A Westport lawmaker who voted in favor of raising the state's sales and alcohol taxes says he did nothing wrong when he bought alcohol in tax-free New Hampshire.

Rep. Michael Rodrigues, a Westport Democrat, tells WBZ he was returning from New Hampshire with his family when they made a restroom stop north of the border.

He says out of convenience, he purchased three bottles of alcohol and carried them to his car.

A Massachusetts resident took a picture of Rodrigues' car in the liquor store parking lot because he noticed the State House license plate and wondered if the driver was on official business.

The photo was posted on the web site of the group Citizens for Limited Taxation.

CLT's Chip Faulkner tells WBZ Rodrigues' behavior is hypocritical.

Rodrigues disagrees, saying he didn't drive to New Hampshire for the purpose of evading the sales tax.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:59 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Then you didnt read the linked article.

So, I will repost it from you.
This time, actually go to the article and read it, then you wont look so stupid.

No, I didn't read the linked article, because I assumed the text you posted WAS the text of the article. I realized that they were different after the last post.

You might want to take some of your own advice, re: looking stupid: when you post text from a source which was different than the link you present, you should be prepared to experience confusion based on this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:07 pm
@roger,
BP is drilling in the Gulf on various places (Atlantis Oil Field, Thunder Horse, Mad Dog, Pompano, Holstein, Horn Mountain, Marlin, Nakika) as well as in Alaska (Prudhoe Bay Oil Field)
[In Germany, some dozen American firms are dwelling in ... Bavaria. (Not to speak of Mittelplate in North Sea and some smaller oil fileds in Northern Germany and on the Baltic Sea.)]
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:36 am
I am surprised this has not been posted yet.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/04/unemployment-jumps-percent/?test=latestnews

Unemployment Jumps to 9.7 Percent
Fewer jobs were lost than had been expected, but more people are returning to the job hunt.

The unemployment rate jumped almost half a point to 9.7 percent in August, the highest since 1983, reflecting a poor job market that will make it hard for the economy to begin a sustained recovery.

While the jobless rate rose more than expected, the economy shed a net total of 216,000 jobs, less than July's revised 276,000 and the fewest monthly losses in a year, according to Labor Department data released Friday. Economists expected the unemployment rate to rise to 9.5 percent from July's 9.4 percent and job reductions to total 225,000.