Where is the US economy headed?

okie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I don't agree with all the spending, but spending is necessary.

Thats a whopper for sure. Why pay people that have an old junker sitting in their yard that they may not even hardly drive, why pay them to buy a new car? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Its a tax break for the rich. Nobody thats hard up should afford to buy a new car, no matter the credit or no. And besides, how manyof the idiots that don't have the money will be upside down on the new cars within a year?

Besides, how many dummies know not to buy a new car without a discount anyway? Its a gimmick, plain and simple, used by rich people or suckers, or a combination of both.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:48 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
I don't agree with all the spending, but spending is necessary.

Thats a whopper for sure. Why pay people that have an old junker sitting in their yard that they may not even hardly drive, why pay them to buy a new car? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Its a tax break for the rich. Nobody thats hard up should afford to buy a new car, no matter the credit or no. And besides, how manyof the idiots that don't have the money will be upside down on the new cars within a year?

Besides, how many dummies know not to buy a new car without a discount anyway? Its a gimmick, plain and simple, used by rich people or suckers, or a combination of both.

Uh. I'm not sure you understand the point of the program.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I understand the point of the program, but I don't agree with it, and nor do I believe the program achieves what it is intended to do. I don't happen to believe in waste. Destroying perfectly good running cars strikes me as stupid. The MPG rating on a car does not tell us how economically it is being used, for example, some people drive 100 miles to work, others drive 1 mile.
okie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:58 pm
@okie,
Question for the libs, how many repos will hit the market in about a year or two, because of this idiocy? It could be the same stupidity of Fannie and Freddie applied to cars.
JPB

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:05 pm
@okie,
well... hopefully, Hopefully, HOPEFULLY dealerships are qualifying buyers before turning over the new vehicles for the clunkers. I'm on the fence on this program, okie. I understand the idea, but I'm skeptical that the auto dealers aren't writing financing deals that don't make sense today any more than they made sense two years ago.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:06 pm
@okie,
A serious question for the MACs-conservatives; how many Americans would have continued to lose jobs at 20,000 a day/365 year without saving the banks, and extending unemployment benefits? That would have affected many more of those mortgages - even those who have been responsible in their financial management.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:10 pm
@JPB,
JPB, I'm against this program, because it benefits only people who can trade in a clunker to get $3500 to $4500 to purchase a new car. This askews the whole concept of capitalism, and spends taxpayer money that only increases the national debt at a time when tax revenues continues to drop.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:29 pm
Good evening to yall. I would like to offer a little explanation of how corporations end up paying little if any Fed Income taxes despite showing big profits. Fox, Hawk and I chatted about that.
60% of corps, it was said, pay no tax. A bogus stat for reasons we discussed. Good headline-bad analysis.
Here, for what it is worth, is an explanation based on a few links Hawk provided from way back in 2001-2003.
I looked at several big companies. I ended up looking really closely at CSX, one of the big freight railways, based here in VA. The biggie for them was "depreciation." They bought a locomotive for $1M. Under GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), they would charge as an expense 5% of the cost each year for the 20 year life-or $50K a year (I am obviously making this up; the last time I bought a locomotive was when I was 10 and it was from Lionel). But Congress instructed the IRS to allow "accelerated depreciation" for tax purposes. That locomotive could be written off against taxes in 5 years, say, or $200K a year.
Congress wanted CSX and other companies to buy locomotives and other capital intensive stuff.
Did I make everyone's eyes glaze over?
If you want to assign blame for "tax credits" taken by corporations, look not at the companies but at the legislators who routinely manipulate the tax code.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Good evening to yall. I would like to offer a little explanation of how corporations end up paying little if any Fed Income taxes despite showing big profits. Fox, Hawk and I chatted about that.
60% of corps, it was said, pay no tax. A bogus stat for reasons we discussed. Good headline-bad analysis.
Here, for what it is worth, is an explanation based on a few links Hawk provided from way back in 2001-2003.
I looked at several big companies. I ended up looking really closely at CSX, one of the big freight railways, based here in VA. The biggie for them was "depreciation." They bought a locomotive for $1M. Under GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), they would charge as an expense 5% of the cost each year for the 20 year life-or $50K a year (I am obviously making this up; the last time I bought a locomotive was when I was 10 and it was from Lionel). But Congress instructed the IRS to allow "accelerated depreciation" for tax purposes. That locomotive could be written off against taxes in 5 years, say, or $200K a year.
Congress wanted CSX and other companies to buy locomotives and other capital intensive stuff.
Did I make everyone's eyes glaze over?
If you want to assign blame for "tax credits" taken by corporations, look not at the companies but at the legislators who routinely manipulate the tax code.

Of course, these same companies lobbied Congress extensively to pass laws which benefit them. Can't forget that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, Irregardless of how corporations are able to skirt around paying income taxes, it's based on the tax codes which allows such games-playing, so whether the company writes its assets off over a expected life span of the assets or takes earlier writes offs provided by the tax code, 60% do not pay taxes.

Our government has demolished our tax base by allowing all the gamesmanship allowed under the tax code, and the real consequence is that corporations and workers pay the lowest income taxes of developed countries while our government continues to increase the deficit.

They can't continue to keep lowering taxes while they spend more today to transfer these ever increasing deficits to future generations.

It's wrong.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recession is starving the government of tax revenue, just as the president and Congress are piling a major expansion of health care and other programs on the nation's plate and struggling to find money to pay the tab.

The numbers could hardly be more stark: Tax receipts are on pace to drop 18 percent this year, the biggest single-year decline since the Great Depression, while the federal deficit balloons to a record $1.8 trillion.

Other figures in an Associated Press analysis underscore the recession's impact: Individual income tax receipts are down 22 percent from a year ago. Corporate income taxes are down 57 percent. Social Security tax receipts could drop for only the second time since 1940, and Medicare taxes are on pace to drop for only the third time ever.

The last time the government's revenues were this bleak, the year was 1932 in the midst of the Depression.

"Our tax system is already inadequate to support the promises our government has made," said Eugene Steuerle, a former Treasury Department official in the Reagan administration who is now vice president of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-ENTERPRISE-Biggest-tax-apf-2967547650.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recession is starving the government of tax revenue, just as the president and Congress are piling a major expansion of health care and other programs on the nation's plate and struggling to find money to pay the tab.

The numbers could hardly be more stark: Tax receipts are on pace to drop 18 percent this year, the biggest single-year decline since the Great Depression, while the federal deficit balloons to a record $1.8 trillion.

Other figures in an Associated Press analysis underscore the recession's impact: Individual income tax receipts are down 22 percent from a year ago. Corporate income taxes are down 57 percent. Social Security tax receipts could drop for only the second time since 1940, and Medicare taxes are on pace to drop for only the third time ever.

The last time the government's revenues were this bleak, the year was 1932 in the midst of the Depression.

"Our tax system is already inadequate to support the promises our government has made," said Eugene Steuerle, a former Treasury Department official in the Reagan administration who is now vice president of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-ENTERPRISE-Biggest-tax-apf-2967547650.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=

Sounds like time to RAISE TAXES, Christ, how hard is this to figure out?

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They can't continue to keep lowering taxes while they spend more today to transfer these ever increasing deficits to future generations.

It's wrong.

you make it seem like we can't because it is morally wrong.......we can't because those who we sold debt to will not allow us to be so irresponsible. They want their money, and will take steps to make sure that we pay up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's not only morally wrong, but it will create inflation in the future. All those extra dollars being spent today must be paid by future products and services; inflation.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Sounds like time to RAISE TAXES, Christ, how hard is this to figure out?

Well ya, but what is our overall strategy going to be? Since Reagan the plan was to promote having wealth sloshing around the economy, moving in big chunks and often, with the government taking a small skim each time in the form of taxes. The plan was that this would not offend, and that enough money could be collected in small amounts that we could pay our bills. Two problems with that plan.....we never came close to paying our bills and the huge amounts of capital moving often created lots of huge bubbles. When the bubbles get popped people get hurt, but on a macro scale this is not the problem. The problem is that we powered up capitalism machinery which makes bad investments often (so we lose the value of having the wealth) and it ramped up the social inequalities (which will yet burn down our political system).

After this near depression the pledge was that we were going to get our act together, we were going to stop purposefully creating bubbles, because we realized that our system is overloaded on risk. Great, we should do that. But if we are going to slow down the financial sector then we need to take much bigger cuts in the form of taxes each time wealth moves. However, nobody is prepared to attempt to sell these large taxes to the American people.

we are stuck, the only way out of this mess that avoids the fix being the complete failure of the economy (and then creating a new economy on the ashes of the old) is a hard road that we are not prepared to take.

As CI has pointed out the financial and political leaders are already going back to what they were doing in 2007, they have no intention of reform. we have decided to wait for the crash, and hope that it comes later rather than sooner.

Great Plan!
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 07:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
But if we are going to slow down the financial sector then we need to take much bigger cuts in the form of taxes each time wealth moves. However, nobody is prepared to attempt to sell these large taxes to the American people.

Sorry, hawk, some of that post went by me; particularly the quote above. "each time wealth moves." Nice phrase, but I missed the point.
okie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:17 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

well... hopefully, Hopefully, HOPEFULLY dealerships are qualifying buyers before turning over the new vehicles for the clunkers. I'm on the fence on this program, okie. I understand the idea, but I'm skeptical that the auto dealers aren't writing financing deals that don't make sense today any more than they made sense two years ago.

I heard a guy on a talk show today say that he had personal knowledge of buyers coming in with the clunkers to make deals, and many of them cannot afford to buy cars, or should not afford to buy cars. In other words, their incomes do not justify driving new cars, no way. They should instead spend their money on other needs. Perhaps the car payment could buy good health insurance, has anyone mentioned that? The reason car dealers will help them make a deal is because dealers want to sell, they will look for any way to get a buyer into a car, because they make money on every deal, plain and simple. People are suckered in because they are led to believe this is a chance of a lifetime to get thousands off of a new car. They don't realize that dealers will give discounts anyway if they are a smart buyer that will dicker with the dealer on a car. Also, this is important, once the people buy a new car, taxes, licenses, and insurance skyrocket, is anyone mentioning this, I haven't heard it yet. This whole program is just plain stupid. Even with the full amount of $4,500, it is chicken feed compared to what the people will end up spending on these new cars.

I hope people remember why this was a disaster when it becomes a disaster, with more repos, and more financial problems for a percentage of the buyers of these cars. To destroy cars that are still running is silly.

I am still mad about Fannie and Freddie, that the instigators of that mess still are in Congress acting as if they are experts on housing, and I hope the same does not happen with this fiasco. I hope the people responsible for this get what they deserve when the results begin to manifest themselves. That is to be discredited and thrown out of office.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:47 pm
@okie,
okie heard, and he believes. LOL
okie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I do believe, its common sense, go to a dealer and watch the people making deals, and see how many suckers are buying new cars that should not afford them. Anyone thats been around the block a couple of times would know this.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Sorry, hawk, some of that post went by me; particularly the quote above. "each time wealth moves." Nice phrase, but I missed the point.

wealth moves each time money moves, either in a financial transaction related to sales or related to production or related to the bull **** that Wall street makes. We have built this economy that is addicted to consumption, addicted to producing all kinds of low lifespan crap that does little to enhance our standard of living but that does destroy the planet.

what would happen if we altered the economic landscape with government intervention so that financial services was a fraction of what it is now, and if there was a disposal fee and a pollution fee built into the price of everything produced? If half the sales price for your lawnmower was fees wouldn't you be very sure that you bought one that would last a long time? Wouldn't you make sure to take care of it? We could get the lawns mowed with 15% of the current yearly production I bet, and would need only a fraction of the man hours devoted to making lawn mowers that we currently do. Government would take a 50% tax instead of the current 20% or what ever it is, but would get the same rev with fewer transactions, with fewer wealth movements.
0 Replies