Where is the US economy headed?

revelette

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 06:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is because they are very good at making their points in a way to appeal to their constituency. It don't seem to work when they got to outside their base in presidential elections but it does in their districts running for congress and red state and local elections. At least that's my observations and understanding from what I read and hear on the news.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 06:37 pm
@revelette,
revelette I was curious what your thoughts were about the guardian person of the year.

revelette

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 07:05 am
@reasoning logic,
I confess I haven't really heard of Bradley until it was in the news the other day. I read about it on think progress before the verdict

here

I'm not sure after having read it. On the one hand, I give him credit for not having taking flight along with his copies of documents to other countries. Also it seems some of things he revealed, like Snowden, needed to be revealed. But it also seems he created some trouble with people in the diplomatic field and possibly death if I understand what I read. So, I guess I am conflicted but think of him more of a hero than Snowden as it seemed he at least had the courage of his convictions. I understand he was still in the military which would make it harder to take flight, but also makes his actions that much more heroic than Snowden knowing he couldn't very well run and hide or risk being charged with desertion as well.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 05:17 pm
With the Republican recalcitrance, it is amazing that the economy and stock market are doing as well as they are. I think that Obama and the Dems deserve a lot of credit for this.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 11:01 pm
Q: why does the government not report the job situation in " full time equivalent" terms?
A: a true representation of how much the jobs situation sucks would piss the American people off.

reporting full time equivalent living wage jobs? Forgetaboutit!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 11:05 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

With the Republican recalcitrance, it is amazing that the economy and stock market are doing as well as they are. I think that Obama and the Dems deserve a lot of credit for this.

you realize off course that when you say that the politicians are the problem that you are agreeing with the vast majority of the Right......
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 01:04 am
so seriously, no one wants to talk about what a kick in the ass this months jobs report was? is this the proverbial whistling past the graveyard?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 09:22 am
@hawkeye10,
A one month job report does not make or break the economy; it's the long-term trend.

There's a world recession going on; don't expect miracles when the GOP wants to stop all job creating legislation, and works towards the opposite goals.

Even China with their lower wages are not producing as much as they did a year ago.

Europe is in recession.
The US still spends the most on R&D; but the GOP continues to cut funding for research at our colleges and universities.
TNCFS

Get the picture?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 10:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
five years into an alleged recovery our standard of living is still falling mostly because this economy mostly can not produce living wage jobs. the picture is alarming.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 10:49 am
@hawkeye10,
That's true! Most of the jobs created last month were in lower paying service jobs. What we need are middle class wage jobs that increases more than our inflation rate for our economy to sustain growth. That's Econ 101; most heads of companies and board of directors don't understand simple economics.

When the middle class wins, everybody wins.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 11:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
not just low pay, they are jobs with little or no advancement opportunity. poeple will take them to get by but all the while seethe that they are getting fucked over by the system
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 11:40 am
@hawkeye10,
Our country isn't creating enough jobs to even keep up with college grads who can't find jobs, and they also end up working in the service industry.

We're in bad shape, but that's also true of the rest of the world where unemployment rates are much higher.

I prefer to look at our situation as our glass being half full; at least we're making slow progress.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 11:38 am
@hawkeye10,
Q: why does the government not report the job situation in " full time equivalent" terms?
A: a true representation of how much the jobs situation sucks would piss the American people off. >>

All of that, and all other concerns, are covered by the monthly CPS household survey report.

The Current Population Survey (CPS) is a monthly survey of households conducted by the Bureau of Census for the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It provides a comprehensive body of data on the labor force, employment, unemployment, persons not in the labor force, hours of work, earnings, and other demographic and labor force characteristics.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:00 pm
@Rickoshay75,
show me where this product tells me how many full time equivalent jobs were created by this economy

jsyk I was reading somewhere that while the government was reporting about 162,000 jobs being created in july the hours worked actually went down, which tells a different story.
parados

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 12:07 pm
@hawkeye10,

Since I found the answer, certainly you can. Or do you require the government to give you a hand out instead of doing the actual work yourself?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 07:57 pm
@parados,
this study does not provide the information. just as one example I work 60 hours a week but I only collect one salary because my pay is not connected to the number of hours worked. for a study to give me the information requested it must take into account how one gets paid, and in my case call my 60 hours one full time job and not 1.5.
parados

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 07:26 am
@hawkeye10,
I guess you do need a government handout. It doesn't list 60 hours as 1.5 jobs.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 07:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Maybe this will explain it to you. Now do the work yourself instead of complaining the government doesn't report the data when clearly they do. You are such a whiner and can't seem to do even basic research.

Quote:
If a person works for more
than one employer, the hours are reported separately
for each. For example, in the
CES a person working
two part-time jobs of 20 hours a week is counted as
having two 20-hour jobs, but in the
CPS, the same individual is counted as one worker working 40 hours.
In May 2000, 5.7 percent of all employed persons
16 years and older were multiple jobholders. Thus,
the CPS is the appropriate survey to use to examine
trends in a person’s average workweek, while the
CES is used to examine trends in the average number of
hours people spend at each job.
revelette

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 08:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
From listening to those who know about these things, the problem might be that technology is simply too efficient and not enough people trained in the fields to keep up with technology. Its cheaper all the way around to have a machine do what a person does. Also, large companies have their companies overseas to avoid higher taxes. Perhaps in those countries they have more people trained for higher technological fields than we do. I don't really know, just getting the gist of various things I read and it all makes sense to me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 09:53 am
@revelette,
That's not totally true! It's a matter of producing the right products and services as more production is robotized. Germany is doing an excellent job of doing that by their internship programs. Germany's productivity is still very high in manufacturing, and they're able to compete in the world marketplace.

Quote:
Since the late 19th century Germany has been a world leader in the manufacture of electrical equipment. As the home of internationally known firms such as Siemens, AEG, Telefunken, and Osram, Berlin was the industry’s principal centre until World War II, after which production was largely transferred to Nürnberg-Erlangen, Munich, Stuttgart, and other cities in southern Germany. The output of these centres made Germany one of the world’s leading exporters of electrical and electronic equipment.

We must balance what Germany has accomplished against the world recession. Even China's production is getting lower.