Where is the US economy headed?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:26 pm
@RABEL222,
It's because he gets drunk almost daily; his sensibilities are non-existent.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Parados, It's not I who misused those numbers. They were taken directly from the link I provided.

I did not change any wording from that link. This is a direct copy and paste from the link I provided.

Quote:
In total, 633,000 government jobs (in seasonally adjusted numbers) were LOST from the time Obama took office until now, June 2012. That's a decrease of 2.8%.

BTW, if you're questioning the numbers quoted, I'd like for you to provide any credible source that refutes those numbers.

I am not disputing their numbers. It is a 2.8% decrease in government jobs. Government job is not the same thing as employment for the entire country.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 05:46 pm
@parados,
You are absolute correct! The 2.8% is a decrease only in government jobs.

My post about reflecting the 2.8% against the current unemployment rate is wrong. I stand corrected, and thanks for your head's up.
Builder

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/07/medianwealth.jpg

Cred to Hingehead for the graph.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:11 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
He got you CI. If anyone recognizes evasion its this guy. He practices it more than almost any other poster here.

Provide an example. Just one will do from my 68 thousand posts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:01 am
@Builder,
Wrong info; chart is misleading by 100 degrees.

Here's the real measure of wealth, by the country's GDP.
http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita?

Australia is 14th, 16th, and 13th by the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and CIA World Factbook.

Where did you get your graph? Some funny book? What's the source of your info?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:17 pm
@spendius,
Surprise, surprise!! No examples from Rabel.

The US economy is heading towards November. After that who knows.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:42 pm
@spendius,
CLUE: The US economy will go way beyond November - and long after you're dead.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 06:38 am
Nothing new in the labor market, with employment minimally worse than last month and last year, employment minimally worse than last month and a little better than last year. We might as well be watching the grass grow in our gardens.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 11:51 am
@Thomas,
True; our country needs to grow jobs at the rate of about 200,000 every month to keep up with demand. Anything less only shows a struggling economy, but that's to be expected, because there's a world recession, and demand for US goods and services will remain stagnant for many years to come.

It's a matter of the US being able to maintain any growth in our GDP for the long term. 1.5% isn't good enough for our labor market.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good evening, Tak and Thomas.
I note that this 7 year old thread is closing in on 400,000 views. Not bad for the dreary subject of economics.
The jobs numbers for July were inconclusive, but that didn't stop politicians from trying to spin them their way. There will be 3 more reports ahead of the election.
They don't talk about Europe although how that plays out is important to us. It has become sort of a "Perils of Pauline" soap opera in our view.
What scares me a lot right now is ...
The Drought
Half of the counties in the U.S. - and all or portions of 32 states - are experiencing drought, including many areas which produce much of our food. At least two portions of the Mississippi have been closed to barge traffic due to low water.
I, not normally an alarmist, fear that we could see a spike in inflation at the retail level shortly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
I recently read a report about the higher cost for food, but I think their estimates of the increase are too low.

The drought situation in the US bodes badly for the US, but also for other countries who imports foodstuffs from the US.

I think some alarm is justified; it will all depend on supply and demand, and how much longer this drought lasts.

My wife and I went to the local farmer's market yesterday morning, and the food prices didn't seem it was higher, and I'm not sure what the delay factor is from farm to table for prices.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Romney says Americans deserve better than an unemployment rate that stays stubbornly stuck above 8 percent. He says Obama "doesn't have a plan" for boosting growth and said that his economic plan would create 1.2 million new jobs by the end of his first term.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=688&articleid=20120803_688_0_hrimgs123981

Has Romney ever given details on how he plans to accomplish his rhetoric about his economic plan that would create 1.2 million new jobs by the end of his first term? You want to buy a bridge in Montana?

How does he grow jobs in the US while the world economy is in a shambles?

Does he know that our economy is tied to the world economy?

Does he know that unemployment in the Euro Zone is higher than in the US?
From eurostat.ec.
Quote:
The euro area seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 11.2 % in June 2012

Is Romney going to create jobs in the Euro Zone too, so that they can buy US products and services?

What's his hokus pokus (*his secret)?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 09:18 am
Quote:
conservatives continue to decry supposed booming growth in the size of the American government, the public sector lost another 9,000 jobs in July, according to the Labor Department report released Friday. The public sector, comprised of federal, state, and local government employees, has now cut more than 680,000 jobs since 2009, the worst three-year period on record. Without those public sector cuts, the unemployment rate would be a full-point lower. And that growing American government? It is now smaller than it has been since 1968, according to a Federal Reserve Economic Data chart published by The Atlantic’s Jordan Weissman:

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Public_Sector_FRED.png

sources

In 2009, Americans paid lowest tax rates in 30 years to federal government

Quote:
Americans paid the lowest tax rates in 30 years to the federal government in 2009, in part because of tax cuts President Obama sought to combat the Great Recession, congressional budget analysts said Tuesday.

A sharp decline in income — especially among the wealthiest Americans, who pay the highest tax rates — also played a role, according to the report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. Household income fell 12 percent on average from 2007 to 2009, with income among the top 1 percent of earners decreasing by more than a third.

Still, at the very moment anti-tax protesters were emerging as the most powerful force in American politics, handing Republicans landslide control of the U.S. House, the data show that people were sending the smallest portion of their income to the federal government since 1979.

During Obama’s first year in office, the average tax rate paid by all households fell to 17.4 percent, down from 19.9 percent in 2007, according to the CBO. The 2009 rate was significantly lower than the previous low of 19.4 percent in 2003 and well below the 30-year average of 21 percent.

The tax burden — which includes all forms of federal levies, including income, payroll and corporate taxes — lightened for households across the board, the result in part of Obama’s signature “Making Work Pay” tax credit and other tax cuts passed as part of the 2009 economic stimulus package, the CBO said.

The lowest fifth of earners benefited the most, sending just 1 percent of their before-tax income to the federal government in 2009, compared with 5.1 percent in 2007. The top fifth of earners paid 23.2 percent, compared with 24.7 percent in 2007.

The average federal income tax rate also reached a new low, settling at 7.2 percent in 2009 — two points lower than in 2007, the CBO said. Although detailed data are available only through 2009, the CBO said more recent estimates suggest that effective tax rates remained at historically low levels in 2010 and 2011.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 11:29 am
@revelette,
These are "facts" that conservatives fail to understand or see. They keep crying about our high unemployment while they do everything they can to cut government jobs.

There's no cure for s........
RABEL222

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 03:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You know what blows my skirt up. Its the fact that all the economists agree that our economy is middle income driven at the same time they advocate cutting middle income wealth while increasing the wealth of the 5%. Like you say, there is no cure for stupid.
spendius

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 03:23 pm
@RABEL222,
They might be scared of the middle income group being better off than they are. People used to wealth can handle it. Usually. They are likely to use increases to create positions in their orbits rather than suck in more goods from the far east, consume more oil, seize up the system and go nuts.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:20 pm
@spendius,
O yes! Bush showed great fiscal responsibility.
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:22 am
@RABEL222,
Perhaps he did too but was not understood.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:45 am
@revelette,
What conservatives fail to understand is that government employment in 2012 is at the level of 1968 when the population was 201-million. In 2012, the US population is now 313-million, a 55% increase.

They still want to cut government spending, and they continue to complain the unemployment is growing!

There's no cure for s.......

Because of cuts in police officers, most cities and counties in the US are experiencing more burglaries/crime.

Even in Sunnyvale where we live, burglaries are up 38%, and we're just average.