Where is the US economy headed?

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 04:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Any more Question Question Question Question Question

spendius

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 04:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
See what I mean izzy about "reasoning logic" being no more than a badge bought in a shop?

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 05:15 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
no more than a badge bought in a shop?

There is a big difference between me and a badge Spendius, You can buy a badge but you cant buy me.
spendius

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 05:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
That's the best news I ever have heard. If you could be bought one of the novelty fanatics I know might return with you in a plastic bag.
spendius

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 03:21 am
@spendius,
Is it possible for the USSC to uphold legislation as constitutional that forces every American to buy a product from a private company?

If the court does then is it not necessary for those companies to be regulated to such an extent that they are effectively nationalised?
spendius

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:01 pm
@spendius,
After hearing the decision I assume that the USA has now got a National Health Service.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:08 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
After hearing the decision I assume that the USA has now got a National Health Service.

Is that how you see it? I see it as privatized medicine or should I say "insurance" that is mandatory.
How would yo like it if every citizen had to buy the product you were peddling? Rolling Eyes
spendius

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
You've missed the point as usual rl. It's okay if people who don't buy insurance are not taxed as long as they don't ask for treatment when they get sick.

Health care is not a product like broccoli.

Obama has outfoxed a bunch of nepotist dimwits.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:33 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Health care is not a product like broccoli.

Obama has outfoxed a bunch of nepotist dimwits.

Are you certain that the insurance lobbyist and shareholders have not outfoxed the common citizen?

If this brings healthcare spending under control and gives everyone the health care they deserve then I am all for it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:41 pm
@spendius,
It's like a spotty, morbidly obese guy with flatulence that curls paint, calling himself 'fanny magnet.'
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:33 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm not so sure about that izzy. I think the 5 conservatives on the Court possibly drew straws who was to take the heat. A US NHS looks inevitable to me.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:56 pm
@spendius,
I wish them well.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:56 pm
@spendius,
If women insist on working what better than having them pampering patients? You don't wish to see them let loose on modern industrial efficiency do you?

The consumer is more or less knackered. We are being encouraged to "shop till you drop" now. Pampering, having limitless demand, is the only zone left to produce growth.

Before I got to the operating theatre I was pampered by five different women and when I came out three more. And there was one in the theatre too. Fetching towels and stuff. One made me eat 6 custard creams. She said it was to get my blood sugar up. I told her that I hadn't known I had blood sugar. On my way out, when they had had their fill at being wonderful, and they were too, I stopped a young lady carrying a two feet thick file for directions to the exit. Having a patch over one eye and looking a bit dazed she probable thought I couldn't see the arrows at every intersection with WAY OUT on them and so conducted me to the exit. By the time I got there I thought the file might well be the directions for getting to it. When I thanked her she said "it's a pleasure". I can't say I believed her mind you.

You need to put all your political "I know how to run things" shite out of your head. The managers can only have a general idea about what going on. It is our only hope that Presidents and Chief Justices take an overarching view on the economy.
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:02 pm
@spendius,
Veblen called conspicuous consumption "the night shift" about 100 years ago. I had to give it up after reading that.

Did you see that scene in Corrie when Peter Kaye cut into a cake that looked as ridiculous as a Faberge Egg? Which he set up. He's quite a wit for those who have read The Romantic Agony. Or had a chew at Veblen.

I somehow doubt that those two can be found in an average college library. You can get thumbed down for even mentioning them on A2K.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 07:58 pm
We can all ask ourselves where the US economy is headed but do we really need to ask ourselves who was leading us there?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 08:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
Not fair! Just because he mangled the English language doesn't mean he's stupid. Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 08:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You have a point there because I am pretty good at that myself but then again I am not President.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 11:37 am
@reasoning logic,
Here's the latest from the media,
Quote:
Andrea Saul, a Romney spokeswoman, said in an e-mail statement. “But President Obama has the worst record on jobs and the economy of any president in modern history, which is why he is running a campaign based on distractions, not solutions.”

I guess conservatives forgot about GW Bush's record on our economy. That only means one thing; they have very short memories. GW Bush's job creation was the worst since the Great Depression, and he's responsible for the Great Recession. Obama's record on job creation after the Great Recession that overlapped into his presidency is short of a miracle. The turn-around was almost immediate in job creation.

The conservatives also forgot; bin Laden is dead, and GM is alive. That alone saved over one million jobs when you consider all the relevant jobs connected to making US cars. Car sales showrooms, advertising, cars sold on credit, repair and maintenance of those cars, and car wash places. They all have jobs.

Romney off-shored jobs, and the companies he transformed ended up with employees wages and benefits being reduced if not totally destroyed.

The only distraction is coming from the Romney camp.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's a news report today that I agree with.
Quote:
Fed's Lacker: Economy close to maximum employment

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - The economy is much closer to maximum employment than many economists think, meaning monetary policy can do little to lower the unemployment rate, said Jeffrey Lacker, the president of the Richmond Federal Reserve Bank, on Monday.

I totally agree; with the world recession impacting both China and Europe, there isn't much the US can do to increase employment. American produced goods and services are purchased by Americans at about 89%. The remaining 11% isn't going to improve any time soon.

My observations traveling the world has been that people with money still spend on luxuries and travel. That won't change any time soon. Even in Cuba where the average income is $20/month, the good hotels, bars and restaurants are always packed.

Even during our (US) National Parks and Canyons tour two months ago, Globus had two trainees in our group because the demand have been increasing.

Some leisure markets are showing 30% increases over last year, and I believe this trend is here to stay, because more baby-boomers are now retiring.

Those without jobs for over a year or more will have more difficulty finding jobs until the trend in college grads begin to improve. Even then, college grads with the right kind of skills will find jobs in short order. That should improve as the older population begin to retire, but the level of new employment will struggle for many years to come.

The stock market will remain somewhat stable, because most of the cause of the volatility for the past couple of years has already been considered.

When the market goes too low, speculators will jump in to buy. That's because bonds and gold are not the best form of investment to keep up with inflation, and gold produces "nothing." Gold prices are based only on speculation on inflation which is based on fear and nothing else. Gold is not a practical medal; it's used in industry and jewelry. Water and oil has more value for the present and the future.

That's MHO.

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I totally agree; with the world recession impacting both China and Europe, there isn't much the US can do to increase employment. American produced goods and services are purchased by Americans at about 89%. The remaining 11% isn't going to improve any time soon.

I'm not sure I understand that quote. Are you saying our exports are only 11%?